Old Radio Show Post (PEK upped for you)

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
The Raer Tape thread is pure sweetness! So, I thought I would up this on the strut since I was going to send this off to PEK (Probably the only one that will really find this as as I do).I recorded it in the 80's. It's from Ron Nelson's Mastermix show. Ron was basically the dude responsible for all the hip hop in Toronto back in the day (Through radio or concerts).It's only 20 mins long and the first 10 mins is a beatbox megamix. Followed by La Di Da Di and then what seems to be someone doing a DJ Cheese version of the platinum blonde cut up (I don't think it's Cheese himself. But it could be...)By todays standards, the cutting really ain't something to get hyped about (It's around 20 years old). But hearing this show, reminds me of how hip hop grabbed me as a kid.I doubt anyone else has a copy of this and it's something I hope someone else likes as much as I do. There's a 2 second fuck up somewhere in the show cause I once pressed record instead of play.Hope others come out the wood work and post some old school radio shows. I'd like to hear anything that people loved back in the day.I'm still waiting on the Rumble & Strong shite P****!!! HAHAEnjoyhttp://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=C20FB8CD017BE5FF

Comments

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    The Raer Tape thread is pure sweetness! So, I thought I would up this on the strut since I was going to send this off to PEK (Probably the only one that will really find this as as I do).

I recorded it in the 80's. It's from Ron Nelson's Mastermix show. Ron was basically the dude responsible for all the hip hop in Toronto back in the day (Through radio or concerts).

It's only 20 mins long and the first 10 mins is a beatbox megamix. Followed by La Di Da Di and then what seems to be someone doing a DJ Cheese version of the platinum blonde cut up (I don't think it's Cheese himself. But it could be...)

By todays standards, the cutting really ain't something to get hyped about (It's around 20 years old). But hearing this show, reminds me of how hip hop grabbed me as a kid.

I doubt anyone else has a copy of this and it's something I hope someone else likes as much as I do. There's a 2 second fuck up somewhere in the show cause I once pressed record instead of play.

Hope others come out the wood work and post some old school radio shows. I'd like to hear anything that people loved back in the day.

I'm still waiting on the Rumble & Strong shite

B*ll* -

Thanks - much appreciated - you're sure it was the 'Mastermix' show and not 'Fantastic Voyage' (cue Lakeside) - LOL?

Ron trying to get F-R-E-S-H material first by driving down to Buffalo every week and going to Apollo Records (Gary knew/knows his sh*t) - Cold City Crew in effect... This back in the day when Sunshine Sound ruled and JC kept everyone speculating about what was/is First Offence's 'Take Control' while Brother D(ifferent) hyped the crowd up @ the Masonic Temple...

Still working on retrieving the R&S material... It's like the f*ckin' Holy Grail @ this point LOL...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The Raer Tape thread is pure sweetness! So, I thought I would up this on the strut since I was going to send this off to PEK (Probably the only one that will really find this as as I do).

I recorded it in the 80's. It's from Ron Nelson's Mastermix show. Ron was basically the dude responsible for all the hip hop in Toronto back in the day (Through radio or concerts).

It's only 20 mins long and the first 10 mins is a beatbox megamix. Followed by La Di Da Di and then what seems to be someone doing a DJ Cheese version of the platinum blonde cut up (I don't think it's Cheese himself. But it could be...)

By todays standards, the cutting really ain't something to get hyped about (It's around 20 years old). But hearing this show, reminds me of how hip hop grabbed me as a kid.

I doubt anyone else has a copy of this and it's something I hope someone else likes as much as I do. There's a 2 second fuck up somewhere in the show cause I once pressed record instead of play.

Hope others come out the wood work and post some old school radio shows. I'd like to hear anything that people loved back in the day.

I'm still waiting on the Rumble & Strong shite

B*ll* -

Thanks - much appreciated - you're sure it was the 'Mastermix' show and not 'Fantastic Voyage' (cue Lakeside) - LOL?

Ron trying to get F-R-E-S-H material first by driving down to Buffalo every week and going to Apollo Records (Gary knew/knows his sh*t)... This back in the day when Sunshine Sound ruled and JC kept everyone speculating about what was/is First Offence's 'Take Control' while Brother D(ifferent) hyped the crowd up @ the Masonic Temple...

Still working on retrieving the R&S material... It's like the f*ckin' Holy Grail @ this point LOL...

No, I think the show was first called Mastermix. I might be wrong. You should ask Ron! Someone needs to bring out these old tapes!! I wish I could remember what year I recorded this. But I do remember I was in grade school.

And yeah.. I know that R&S shit is hard as fuck to find. I just wanna mess with u on it! HA!

Anyways... Hope you like it!!

"WARNING. THE MIX YOU ARE ABOUT TO HEAR, IS SO DEF! IT MAY BLOW YOUR MIND!!!"

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    Dude! Nice call on this thread. I LOVE oldschool radio shows! Too bad I was a baby at that time so I can't really contribute too much.

Anyways here's a dope site that has lots of oldshool radio shows and mixtapes...

A lot of you have probably seen this already but...

http://www.richcolour.com/mastermix/

Some really interesting stuff here, and it gets update from time to time, worth checking!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

You know what this is a

At least radio DJs actually tried back then, sheesh! Cutting up platinum blonde!

Is it just me or is oldschool scratching fucking AMAZING.

Sorry, this shit just makes me hype/happy/angry.

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    Here is a set by DJ Battery Brain, not sure what year this is from but this is what I like about old school radio shows, quick ass mixing, i get visions of records flying all over the place in the studio. man, i love this mix. i got some latin rascals mixes if you guys want me to upload those also.

A HREF="http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=20C0341A5161D03E">Part1/A>

A HREF="http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=91563BF8222289CC">Part2/A>

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    Here's one of those Jeff Mills sets as the Wizard from 85 or 86 on WJLB Detroit (Electrifying Mojo show)

A HREF="http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=A6CF9E630410CE7E">Part1/A>

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    i got some latin rascals mixes if you guys want me to upload those also.

PLEASE DO!