Ask The Shig???: L.A. Ramen Czech?

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Best ramen in Los Angeles. Tonkatsu style. Drop the knowledge.

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Tonkotsu hommie

Tonkatsu:

Tonkotsu:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Tonkatsu:

Looks like Chicken Katsu.

Speaking of which, I had curry chicken katsu awhile back and it was WICKED!

curry chicken katsu

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    shinsengumi

santoka

daikokuya

not necessarily all tonkotsu but these are the best 3 ramen spots in the city by far. Trust me on this....

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Tonkotsu hommie

You say tonkotsu, I saw tonkatsu, let's call the whole thing off...

Aser - how about the spots on Sawtelle?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Hurry Curry on Sawtelle is good and inexpensive., Curry house is about the same but more expensive.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

Tonkotsu hommie

You say tonkotsu, I saw tonkatsu, let's call the whole thing off...

Aser - how about the spots on Sawtelle?

not so hot, avoid asahi ramen like the plague. There's Chabuya and ramenya, but they're not in the same class as the 3 I mentioned.

if you're in LA this weekend, shinsengumi has their 10 yr anniversary sale with ramen selling for $3. Lineups for days I would imagine.

http://la.foodblogging.com/2006/05/31/shin-sen-gumi-hakata-ramen-10th-anniversary/

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    are you down here already?

honestly, i dont know. daikokuya and shinsengumi are the stand-by's but i know for a fact that there are a shitload of joints along redondo beach blvd. in gardena and even more spread out among the south bay area. i cant name names for you but if youre looking for the cheap stuff, you cant go wrong with the marukai food court or the mitsuwa food court. gardena and torrance respectively. and that's not outrageously far from where youll be staying.

me folkers and i hit up a okonomiyaki joint in lomita on the regular. and its legit. seriously.

are you down here already?

honestly, i dont know. daikokuya and shinsengumi are the stand-by's but i know for a fact that there are a shitload of joints along redondo beach blvd. in gardena and even more spread out among the south bay area. i cant name names for you but if youre looking for the cheap stuff, you cant go wrong with the marukai food court or the mitsuwa food court. gardena and torrance respectively. and that's not outrageously far from where youll be staying.

me folkers and i hit up a okonomiyaki joint in lomita on the regular. and its legit. seriously.

My wife is into okonomiyaki...me, not so much. I think I've actually tried the Marukai food court (my sister in law lives close by there) but I can't seem to remember if it wsa very good (which probably means it wasn't). Good to know the South Bay has the hot spots...if I'm not down there on campus, then I'll be there visiting family.

I'm not in LA yet. Just doing my research (though I will be down over the 4th weekend). The formal move is the end of July.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    shinsengumi

santoka

daikokuya

not necessarily all tonkotsu but these are the best 3 ramen spots in the city by far. Trust me on this....

Damn... I live in Santa Monica. Sucks that I have to drive 45 mins just to get some good ramen.

avoid asahi ramen like the plague.

Oof. Ok. I've heard mixed things about them...though I'm pretty sure I ate there a while back and it was ok. Keep in mind though, San Francisco has SHIT ramen so "ok" = "pretty damn good" in comparison.

Keep in mind though, San Francisco has SHIT ramen so "ok" = "pretty damn good" in comparison.

how dare you!

actually, you couldnt be more right. but katana-ya at the base of ucsf can compete.

youre right about marukai, i mean, i like it but its cheap food court food. mitsuwa is newer and newer in LA means better. or so it seems.

re: shinsengumi, ive never had their tonkotsu. i usually go for the yakiniku bbq. good shit all around. redondo beach blvd. dude. everything and anything japanese will be found here.

also, this

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=675281&an=0&page=2#Post675281

should be really close to you. japanese macrobiotic taco truck

Oof. Ok. I've heard mixed things about them...though I'm pretty sure I ate there a while back and it was ok. Keep in mind though, San Francisco has SHIT ramen so "ok" = "pretty damn good" in comparison.

I've been there and thought it was ok, although I am no ramen expert.

shinsengumi

santoka

daikokuya

Damn... I live in Santa Monica. Sucks that I have to drive 45 mins just to get some good ramen.

LOL! There is NO good ramen in Seattle! I have to fly to Tokyo just to get some good ramen.

I've been there and thought it was ok, although I am no ramen expert.

ramenya is decent and very close to sm.

• Chuck_HussChuck_Huss 145 Posts

For shame! Not SF, per se, but Santa Ramen in San Mateo is pretty f-ing decent.

charles hustle, ever been to katanaya or nodo's? pretty damn good and in the_city.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    charles hustle, ever been to katanaya or nodo's? pretty damn good and in the_city.

I think I might have to jump on a shuttle to the main campus to czech out this katanaya this week. Any menu recomendations for the first time diner?

I think I might have to jump on a shuttle to the main campus to czech out this katanaya this week. Any menu recomendations for the first time diner?

everything is great there! its the type of broth that looks like they melted 3 pads of butter in your bowl. for the first timer, id go with either the regular ramen or the miso ramen. i think you can get it as a "set" which means theyll serve it with chahan (fried rice) and gyoza (potsticker). but that's for a yokozuna or some such.

they have kara age ramen which is ramen with a few pieces of fried chicken nippon stylee in it. spicy mabo ramen which is just ground pork and tofu in a gravy over ramen.

i would also like to strongly recommend their chuhai as it was the only place in sf you could get it before it got wildly popular. anyways, their calpis chuhai is delicious.

shinsengumi

santoka

daikokuya

fuck I'll make the drive to Shinsengumi...what do you or shig recommend?

shinsengumi

santoka

daikokuya

personally, i recommend the yakiniku. its basically japanese bbq. but if ramen's your thing, you cant go wrong with their current $3 special.

this shinsengumi

Shig,

Dude, I live a few blocks from the bottom of UCSF. I've never seen a Katanaya there (I like the one in El Cerrito though, but not for ramen). Are you sure it's still there? Nothing pops up in the white pages. (It was, however, cited for three different health code violations in 2004. )

For shame! Not SF, per se, but Santa Ramen in San Mateo is pretty f-ing decent.

I know about Santa. And yeah, they're dope. But no one in the Bay has ever confused San Mateo for San Francisco. I shouldn't have to drive out of city limits for a good bowl of ramen:

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    shinsengumi

santoka

daikokuya

there are a bunch of shinsengumis, it's a chain of restaurants serving different variations of Japanese food (ramen, shabu shabu, yakitori, chanko nabe, etc). Go through their site and take a look.

Now for their ramen location in Gardena, they only serve one type of ramen, the hakata style. You do have options as to the choice of toppings, hardness of noodle, strength of broth and amount of oil. Get a set dinner w/ gyozas and be sure to save some broth in the end as you can order extra noodles for 95 cents. They come around asking when you're almost finished w/ your noodles.

I still like santoka the most though, but they're known for their shio ramen.

in regards to bay area, I've heard lots of good things about Santa, and also ramen halu in SJ.

Shig,

Dude, I live a few blocks from the bottom of UCSF. I've never seen a Katanaya there (I like the one in El Cerrito though, but not for ramen). Are you sure it's still there? Nothing pops up in the white pages. (It was, however, cited for three different health code violations in 2004. )

a part of me just died.

i think youre right, they must be gone.

i even checked nodo's which was owned by the same folks and i couldnt find info on them. man i am getting very disconnected.

dollargraemlin, there's always samtung by the school. wait, theyre still around, right odub?

anyways, if katanaya's still there, itd be on the corner of judah and 6th. if youre real nice to the lady across the street at that corner store, she'll give you some candy.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    this thread makes me wish I had dinner with you. me saddy koala....

some day my frond. cha m cha