I'm Moving to Toronto (this week!)

SooksSooks 714 Posts
edited June 2006 in Announcements
That's right Torontonians, me and my lovely partner are moving to your town this Friday! I got a new job with a small-ish company out in Etobicoke, she's got a new job, too - we've got a good looking apartment in Cabbagetown, and I'm looking forward to checking the city out (and spending money at Cosmos!). I was going to try and gather a short list of favorites if you have a minute, so I can get my bearings...I figure I can do my own searching for records, so no need for spots to be blown, but... do you have a favorite:pho joint?thai spot?place in little india?korean bbq?down to earth bar w/ serious drinks?anything else?As I said, we'll be in Cabbagetown (what's Riverdale farm like?), so any explorations East are easy, and since I'll be working in the West, I'm going to get familiar with the subway (no car). Aser's description of the veg. place in Markham made me want to be able to explore the city to check some cool (and delicious) things, so any and all recommendations are welcome!

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    That's right Torontonians, me and my lovely partner are moving to your town this Friday! I got a new job with a small-ish company out in Etobicoke, she's got a new job, too - we've got a good looking apartment in Cabbagetown, and I'm looking forward to checking the city out (and spending money at Cosmos!). I was going to try and gather a short list of favorites if you have a minute, so I can get my bearings...I figure I can do my own searching for records, so no need for spots to be blown, but... do you have a favorite:

pho joint?
    thai spot?
    place in little india?
    korean bbq?
    down to earth bar w/ serious drinks?
    anything else?

As I said, we'll be in Cabbagetown (what's Riverdale farm like?), so any explorations East are easy, and since I'll be working in the West, I'm going to get familiar with the subway (no car). Aser's description of the veg. place in Markham made me want to be able to explore the city to check some cool (and delicious) things, so any and all recommendations are welcome!

welcome (almost)!!

i don't know too much about Cabbagetown, but can answer some questions...

thai spot - not at all the best in town, but i like it for its cheapness and its insanely noisey and elbow to elbow cafeteria set-up - Salad King on Gould, just East of Yonge, North of Dundas, across from Sam's

place in little india - Udupi Palace - all veg - the best rasam soup ever. there is a great Indian restuarant named Little India on Queen West, just West of
    University on the South side - $10 buffet 11:30 AM - 3:30 PM everyday. also Embassy at Finch and Middlefield in Scarborough - worth the drive for their pastries, take-out veg combo, $1/5 samosas and coriander chutney

down to earth bars -
    Cloak and Dagger 394 College (i do a monthly there!) - pubby and friendly and good music most nights, just East of Bathurst on North side

Done Right Inn on Queen West, before Trinity Bellwoods Park, South side

Sweaty Betty's on Ossington, just North of Queen, East side

Steer Inn - on Roncesvalles, East side - bizarre and friendly and hardcore drinking goes on there, but very chill

check Sunrise for Jamaican food on Kingston Rd and another one is on Keele
    Eglinton West and St. Clair West are good areas to check for a myriad of reasons

Kensington Market, especially for car-free Sundays once a month - there is tons to eat/look at/listen to there

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    thanks! That's very helpful... I will have to do most of my exploring on upcoming weekends since I arrive in TO on Friday, and start my new job on Monday.. but hopefully it'll work out well. That's a good point about the Jamaican food - I definitely have to get acquainted with that!

Jamaican food

The Real Jerk at Queen and Broadview - close to you - is not bad, good dumplings

Albert's - one on St. Clair, West of Bathurst, North side and one on Queen West, East of Bathurst, North side

a few different JA spots on Eglinton West

there will be more West Indian eats listings in the Now and eye weeklies when Caribana comes around at the end of July

close to Albert's on Queen is Ghandhi's - they have amazing East Indian rotis

and in Parkdale - go to Ali's on Queen, North side, just East of Landsdowne - they're Trini. do not believe anyone who tells you Bacchus (also in the area) is good.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

pho joint?
    thai spot?
    place in little india?
    korean bbq?
    anything else?

pho - hanoi 3 seasons, golden turtle, mimi's, pho hung

thai - vanipha lanna is a little bit expensive for thai, but the best by far.

korean bbq - sejong & seoul house are the only two spots in the city using charcoal for their bbq.

bars - smokeless joes has the best beer selection in the city.

gelato - la paloma, hollywood

avoid the albert's on queen, it's just not that good. Stick w/ the one on st clair.

I can go on endlessly, but it's best for you to ask more questions and I'll try my best to answer.

ps: summerlicious starts pretty sooon, a good way to explore the city's culinary delights on a budget.

this is no joke. this place is amazing.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    AWESOME! Thanks so much... I've had some pretty good culinary experiences in Toronto in the past, so I'm feeling pretty optimistic about the move so far. These recommendations will definitely help!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Anyone try that new gelato spot on college yet (Dolce gelato)??? Looks good.

Korean... Ummm.. Come on...

Book Chang Dong!!!

Cheap and oh soo good!

Aser likes it cause it cleans the body good!

And if ur gonna be up in lil Italy, plz to check out El Bodegon (537 College St.)

Peruvian food = WICKED! My personal fav is the bandeja bodegon! MmMM sooo yum!

And in Kensington... One word... empinadas!!! Fresh!

• come get down with us this saturday at make it funky!!! El mocambo 464 spadina ave

Mat the Alien vs Vinyl Ritchie Guarantee that if you come once you wont miss another. Fun people and incredibly funky music makes for good times.

And if ur gonna be up in lil Italy, plz to check out El Bodegon (537 College St.)
    Peruvian food = WICKED!

co-sign on el bodegon

Peruvian food = WICKED!

co-sign on el bodegon

You have great taste!!! Soon ur gonna have loads of time to hang! HA! No buggin' me and trying to get me to skip work!!!

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    all right... I've arrived! Moving sucks, btw, but at least it's (mostly) done. Unfortunately I can't really spend too much time roaming around, since now I have to go to work tomorrow but thanks to all for the suggestions, I have a lot of eating to do!

• welcome to the city!

here are some of my picks (though i'm vegetarian so i dunno what the meat stuff is like)

pho joint? i like cafe 668 (dundas, just east of bathurst) for veg viet food, but i hear pho hung (on spadina) is good. i like their spring rolls. (i'm vietnamese so you should trust my judgement on these things )

thai spot? real thailand (on bloor, in the annex) - it's actually run by "real thais" (a lot of thai joints are run by chinese people for some reason).. you can tell by the shrine(?) they have in back to the king of thailand. they have photos of the king everywhere in thailand too.
    for cheap thai, i like salad king (on gould st, off yonge) and flip, toss & thai kitchen on harbord, just east of bathurst (the owners are so ridiculously nice you want to give them your business) too.
    there's a newish place on bloor in the annex too that looks all trendy inside called 'thai basil' but the food really is very good, at least the one time i went there. they have cool "thai cocktails" too.. like martinis with coconut milk! and drinks with mango!

place in little india?
    moti mahal.. or whatever it's called. cafeteria style, dirt cheap thalis.
    i like the look of the lahore tikka house, but i've only ever had sugarcane juice there cuz of the meat.. i hear it's good though.

korean bbq?
    i dunno about bbq but there's this amazing tofu soon (stew) place that is really cheap and good - it's at the corner of clinton and bloor streets (near christie subway station).. that looks like a pic of it posted above. it's almost always packed and you have to line up but it's well worth the wait. there's also a 24-hour korean place across the street nearby (with a yellow(?) sign and you have to go up some stairs). good for late night drunken food cravings if you're in the area. while you're in the 'hood, check out tacos el asador (across from the tofu soon place) for some really good, cheap el salvadorean food.

the embassy on augusta in kensington market (okay, frequented by some hipsters too, but i do like the vibe of this place, and they have good music most nights).
    victory cafe on markham st (off bloor), by honest ed's.
    both have some decent beers.
    i'm not too familiar with your end of town, but i do know there's a nice little british pub called 'house of parliament' on (surprise!) parliament street, just south of carlton.

anything else?
    tons more! but i'm sure you'll discover it on your own..

also, i second the recommendation of empanadas in kensington market! i don't like the veg ones at jumbo empanadas but i hear the meat ones are good. the humitas are good. for empanadas, i like the place across from there with the regular sized empanadas for $2.50 each and about 30(!) to choose from. the ones with salsa verde are really good.

also, get some roti from bacchus roti on queen near dufferin (or the other place down the street.. called ali's, i think? or island foods down at king and dufferin) and ethiopian food plus amazing ethio coffee at ethiopian house on irwin st. (off yonge).

enjoy! toronto's a great place to eat!

• Options
    You're only a ghetto away from me (straight through Regent park and over the Gerrard bridge to East Chinatown).

If you lneed to get your brunch on, Petit Dejeuner (formerley the transplanted Triple XXX Diner - King St across from George Brown College) is about the best food I've ever tasted. Dinners are amazing there as well.

K.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    You're only a ghetto away from me

this might explain the gunshots that I think I heard last night...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    you're also pretty close to Batifole, a good fronch bistro.

missruckus - I've heard horror stories from veggie folks at salad king, them using meat stocks and fish sauce. No problem for me but if you're a vegetarian that might be risky.

ribfest is this weekend btw....

www.torontoribfest.com

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I'm working in Etobicoke, and there are signs for Ribfest ALL over there. (on a side note, there's also a Sausage Factory with a sign outside that reads "open to the public" - now I'm not a vegetarian or anything, but I can't imagine ever wanting to visit a sausage factory)

Lawd, I remember the days when Salad King was wicked...

I don't like going there anymore. But whatever... I bet their gettin' paid

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    salad king is basically thai fast food, I don't think I've been there in over 10 yrs. Not since my weekly traxx/play de back and forth days.

If you have access to a car, try hitting up the cheese boutique, it's in etobicoke.

• with thai food, i tend to pretend i don't notice the fish sauce in everything (it doesn't seem to taste the same without it).. i think they use it everywhere, i guess unless you ask them specifically not to. curries tend to have shrimp paste too, but i just don't ask. :P seafood stuff doesn't bother me as much..

i've only been to salad king once since the renovations and was pretty turned off, actually, cuz the service was slow (i preferred the fast order-at-cash-and-take-a-number system they used to have) and there were way too many people (probably like 99.99999% ryerson students). flip, toss and thai kitchen (on harbord) is a good alternative cuz it's nearer to me, and an old cook from salad king owns this place and basically stole the recipes (they even have the same names).

with thai food, i tend to pretend i don't notice the fish sauce in everything (it doesn't seem to taste the same without it).. i think they use it everywhere, i guess unless you ask them specifically not to. curries tend to have shrimp paste too, but i just don't ask. :P seafood stuff doesn't bother me as much..

i've only been to salad king once since the renovations and was pretty turned off, actually, cuz the service was slow (i preferred the fast order-at-cash-and-take-a-number system they used to have) and there were way too many people (probably like 99.99999% ryerson students). flip, toss and thai kitchen (on harbord) is a good alternative cuz it's nearer to me, and an old cook from salad king owns this place and basically stole the recipes (they even have the same names).

Agree with everything said above. I was at flip, toss and thai a couple of weeks ago. I'd rather go there now then down to salad king.

• Options
    You're only a ghetto away from me

this might explain the gunshots that I think I heard last night...

Yes, cabbagetown borders 2 of Toronto's most notorious neighbourhoods, St jamestown and Regent Park. Honestly, I've never had a problem down here...just wouldn't advise walking throough either place post 2:00.

K.

P.S. I think I heard the same gunshot!

• Options
    you're also pretty close to Batifole, a good fronch bistro.

missruckus - I've heard horror stories from veggie folks at salad king, them using meat stocks and fish sauce. No problem for me but if you're a vegetarian that might be risky.

ribfest is this weekend btw....

www.torontoribfest.com

BAtifole is awesome.

Petit Dejeuner on King East and Tomi Kro at Queen adn Leslie are also great restaurants.

MY good high school freind also has just opend a French Bistro (Weezie's at King and Power, one streeet east of Parliament) which is excellent. Lunch Mon-Fri 11-3, Dinners Thurs Fri Sat 6-???.

K.

• Options
    salad king is basically thai fast food, I don't think I've been there in over 10 yrs. Not since my weekly traxx/play de back and forth days.

If you have access to a car, try hitting up the cheese boutique, it's in etobicoke.

My foodie buddies love this place, but DAMN is it in a fucked up spot. Scurry up to Comisso Brothers for some gangster Italian grub if you're in that hood. Just remember to get in your car and leave if 2 guys in tracksuits and one in suit pull up.

K in Canada.