Stockholm

PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Hiya,I'm off to Stockholm for a week this Saturday and just wondered if anyone has been and can give me some good places to go in general.Where can I get a cheap beer?Record shops?Where the lovely ladies hang out?Where can I eat?Where is good to party?What's good in the day time?Where can I watch the world cup footie?Any (things I ought to look out for and the like) would be much appreciated.ThanksAlexanderps. I hear Stockholm is pretty damn expensive... true? If so I would appreciate suggestions of cheap fun I can have really... (if there is such thing) I'm a student hehe thanks again if you can help.

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Visiting Recordmania --> Lars Larsson in Stockholm is a must! One of the best record shops worldwide!!! Go there! Even if the records are expensive... it's worth it!

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts

ps. I hear Stockholm is pretty damn expensive... true? If so I would appreciate suggestions of cheap fun I can have really... (if there is such thing) I'm a student hehe thanks again if you can help.

I've not been there yet, but my mate just got back and said he was forking out 8 quid for a vodka and dash, so good luck on finding cheap drinks out there. Also, said that that was easily the worst thing about it, and that it was a real nice place, so bon voyage!

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    cheap beer is hard to find (as well as cheap things in general), lovely ladies are not...

if a raw fusion night is going on while you are there, go there. the raw fusion club is great.

recordmania is definitely the best place to go and really nice. there are some more nice record stores in the neighbourhood such as "snickars". I remember one 2nd hand store, which has a CD section in the main room and a very nice record section in the backroom. Last year they also had a 'take five, pay for three' offer. There are also some more stores on the other side of town. Ask Lars@ recordmania, where the other stores are located...

in general the city is really nice and due to all the water a great place in the summertime, although the centre is crowded with tourists.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I remember three good record stores in Stockholm - there was one on Sodermalm, small, well stocked, good prices, and there was another across town (Kungsholmen?) that had lots of great stuff at very serious prices, and then there was a mostly 45s store near there that had a pretty decent collection. I can't remember what any of them were called...

I liked the Sodermalm neighbourhoods, there was some nice stuff over there. The city is expensive though, so you'd best get used to that.

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    Looks like a staple diet of mcdonalds is to be had!

I live in quite an expensive city so I guess it won't be too bad.

Thanks guys!

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    Ok here goes...

Record stores to check:

Recordmania (subway station Slussen)
    Snickars Records (subway station Hornstull)
    Runt Runt (sometimes good, subway station St Eriksplan)
    Nostalgi Palatset (subway station St Eriksplan)
    Stockholms Skivb??rs (Also st eriksplan..)

Bars to check:

The thing is the cheap bars aren't that good, if you like to hang out with people who's pushing 50 and like to complain and ramble endlessly about nothing you should check the bars around Fridhemsplan where a beer is about $4 but other than that a lot of places in S??dermalm is quiet nice and cheap, just go by subway to slussen or medborgarplatsen and go around for a bit and i'm sure you'll find something..

Tr??dg??rden (subway station R??dhuset or Fridhemsplan, not so cheap but 3 dancefloors with a lot of hiphop, electro and such)

Also, i hope you arrive after friday the 23d since its midsummers eve here then and most people will be out in the countryside or with friends at privateparties but if you 're here then and you're lucky i think you can end up at some bitchin' party, a LOT of drunk people around that day...

For nice coffees go to Hornstulls Mj??lkbar (subway station Hornstull) at Verkstads gatan (the steeets name) it's also a great place for music, great people and if you mention soul strut for the right person there they might be happy to talk to you

Hope this helps..

peace
    L

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Try and get some Reindeer steak in too, while you have the chance. Beautiful place.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Try and get some Reindeer steak in too, while you have the chance. Beautiful place.

• I remember one 2nd hand store, which has a CD section in the main room and a very nice record section in the backroom. Last year they also had a 'take five, pay for three' offer.

The place is called "Mosebacke Records", situated maybe 100 meters from Recordmania. They have literally tons and tons of records in the backroom, but in often pretty shabby condition and quite expensive actually.

I like living in Stockholm, but I never ever go further north than Gamla Stan (old city). Sodermalm is where it's at.

If you feel like spending a bit more money on your drinks, and maybe hook up with a dumb blonde girl with fake tits, go to ??stermalm and Stureplan.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    If you feel like spending a bit more money on your drinks, and maybe hook up with a dumb blonde girl with fake tits, go to ??stermalm and Stureplan.

cue all lurkers frantically scribbling down ??stermalm and Stureplan.

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    Cheers again guys sounds good!

Alexander

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I was in stockholm last year for a few days and got to check out some places.

Eriksplan is worth a trip, like others have said. there are 3 or 4 good shops on that street.

I forget the name of the shop, but there was one on a side street near the station that had loads of jazz. Unfortunately he wanted a lot of money for just about everything (700 kroner for a don cherry LP on MPS, about $90 maybe?) and I got the impression the local stores thought he was kind of a nut.

Another store, again I forget the name, was on Eriksplan, and had a junk shop out front, but in back was all records. They were very nice as well.

Recordmania has the best stock, no question! Lars is amazing and very helpful. After visiting I've bought and sold with him several times and he's always been great.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    NO doubt there are lovely ladies in Sweden. What the hell...

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    !!!NOSTALGIPALATSET!!!

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    I like this city a lot. Beautiful in so many ways, plus this time of year the sun won't set till real late at night.

There's a great jazz club called "Club Fasching" (I think.) I saw Hector Bingert and His Latin Lover Big Band tear it up years ago.

• redgregredgreg 96 Posts
    Also check out Fasching on a saturday night for Club Soul, The shop opposite Nitty Gritty has had some good records in the past

• leolyxxxleolyxxx 446 Posts
    I remember one 2nd hand store, which has a CD section in the main

I like living in Stockholm, but I never ever go further north than Gamla Stan (old city). Sodermalm is where it's at.

Depends on what you're doing, s??dermalm is also full of hip and trndy guys who wants to live in every other big city in the world EXCEPT stockholm "s??dermalm is soooo much like new yourk" "s??dermalm is soooooo much like barcelona" et.c. not saying you're like this Martin but i also think s??dermalm is highly overrated, i myself prefer vasastan (or birkastan) since i grew up there and it's just as cozy and good for the same stuff if you just know the right places to go, now i'm situated on kungsholmen and it's really nice aswell except for it being copland

I would say Hornstull is easily the nicest part of s??dermalm, no doubt..

Also something to check is all the nbice places to go swimming in town if you're here (for the not from town dewds) , it's acctually really warm in the water already

peas owt