The Intruders - When We get Married Price Czech!!

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Drewn, I refrained from bidding on this yesterday -

http://cgi.ebay.com/SMITH-CONNECTION-Und...1QQcmdZViewItem

Good move, that's a bit high... Wait till you can catch it for somewhere around $30, give or take.

I don't know - I've been seeing that record go for more and more over the last couple years. $50 seems like the going rate.

Yeah $50 is pretty fair for a mint copy. I have had the record a few times, but only in various stages of "not mint" and it's a pretty tough pull either way.

I easily get $25-30 for copies with marks and/or cover damage so I think $50-60 for a mint one is pretty much the price. A friend of mine bought a near-perfect copy at TSL and I think paid $75.

I think this is a solid $50 piece and won't depreciate any time soon. There's pretty much a bottomless demand for it--everyone that hears it usually wants a copy.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Good move, that's a bit high... Wait till you can catch it for somewhere around $30, give or take.

I don't know - I've been seeing that record go for more and more over the last couple years. $50 seems like the going rate.

Yeah $50 is pretty fair for a mint copy. I have had the record a few times, but only in various stages of "not mint" and it's a pretty tough pull either way.

I easily get $25-30 for copies with marks and/or cover damage so I think $50-60 for a mint one is pretty much the price. A friend of mine bought a near-perfect copy at TSL and I think paid $75.

I think this is a solid $50 piece and won't depreciate any time soon. There's pretty much a bottomless demand for it--everyone that hears it usually wants a copy.
    I want a copy now and I haven't even heard it.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

It's like a male Lovelites.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Can we get some Helene Smith talk in here?

Jerms, what's up with that LP you had as an avatar?

As far as I know she doesn't have a full album, just a slew of 45's. I have a few of em, one on Deep City and one on Phillet of Soul. Probably my favorite female soul singer... That track "I am controlled by your love" is so beautiful, it kills me every time. Ooh, and that song "sure thing", I must listen to that song two or three times every day, soooo good. I was watching a 45 of her's on ebay last week, it ended at over 300 bucks though...

She also has an lp on Deep City titled "Sings Sweet Soul" (Deep City 1001 12/67). IMO the hardest to find Miami soul lp. Very little pressed and no distro outside of south florida. A dealer turned up a box of 30 or so copies 10+ years ago and was letting them go for $15 a pop. Needless to say I missed that boat. What stings is that I missed a NM one a few months back for the bargin price of $250 from a local dealer. Most of it is her 45's on deep city and a few non 45 cuts. It's a really great soul record!

She was married to Johnny Pearsall (part owner of Deep City along w/ Wille Clarke). JP owned pearsall records in the heart of liberty city, Which was also were they pressed a few of the early deep city 45's in the back room.

After pearsall and clarke split in 68/69 she fell off the map. Clarke ended up taking Betty Wright (she had a early 45(68) on clarkes solid soul label) and most of the artists over to TK. Smith had a few mid-70's 45's on DASH, but I have yet to find them. Pearsall kept his shop and liberty city until it closed down in the early 80's. One of my fave stories from one of the old timers is the box of "Cookie Crumbs/Soul Freedom" 45's along w/ all the other indy local 45's that he kept @ the counter in the nickel box.

What was the 45 you were watching? I really want to hear the blue star 45 she did. Few times I've seen it it's always over $300.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Can we get some Helene Smith talk in here?

Jerms, what's up with that LP you had as an avatar?

As far as I know she doesn't have a full album, just a slew of 45's. I have a few of em, one on Deep City and one on Phillet of Soul. Probably my favorite female soul singer... That track "I am controlled by your love" is so beautiful, it kills me every time. Ooh, and that song "sure thing", I must listen to that song two or three times every day, soooo good. I was watching a 45 of her's on ebay last week, it ended at over 300 bucks though...

She also has an lp on Deep City titled "Sings Sweet Soul" (Deep City 1001 12/67). IMO the hardest to find Miami soul lp. Very little pressed and no distro outside of south florida. A dealer turned up a box of 30 or so copies 10+ years ago and was letting them go for $15 a pop. Needless to say I missed that boat. What stings is that I missed a NM one a few months back for the bargin price of $250 from a local dealer. Most of it is her 45's on deep city and a few non 45 cuts. It's a really great soul record!

She was married to Johnny Pearsall (part owner of Deep City along w/ Wille Clarke). JP owned pearsall records in the heart of liberty city, Which was also were they pressed a few of the early deep city 45's in the back room.

After pearsall and clarke split in 68/69 she fell off the map. Clarke ended up taking Betty Wright (she had a early 45(68) on clarkes solid soul label) and most of the artists over to TK. Smith had a few mid-70's 45's on DASH, but I have yet to find them. Pearsall kept his shop and liberty city until it closed down in the early 80's. One of my fave stories from one of the old timers is the box of "Cookie Crumbs/Soul Freedom" 45's along w/ all the other indy local 45's that he kept @ the counter in the nickel box.

What was the 45 you were watching? I really want to hear the blue star 45 she did. Few times I've seen it it's always over $300.

heres the one I was watching

This is why I love soulstrut. I was hoping someone would chime in and say that she had an album out. I'd love it if someone could post up a pic of what it looks like...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Those were the magic words. Now someone sell me a mint copy for $60 before I make a scene.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Those were the magic words. Now someone sell me a mint copy for $60 before I make a scene.

I don't know if I would say it sounds like a male Lovelites record. It's got a much "smoother" sound to it. Still, recommended. But, nothing to get an automatic boner over.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

I guess I have seen that before in the Deep City cd liner notes...

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    $250 is[/b] a bargain price on that helene smith.
    it's pretty friggin' rare.
    i've never even seen the cover til now.
    just heard about it.
    always thought maybe it'd turn up one of these days somewhere along the gulf....
    but nope.

thanks for all the history and background info rap79....

peace.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

I don't know if I would say it sounds like a male Lovelites record. It's got a much "smoother" sound to it. Still, recommended. But, nothing to get an automatic boner over.

true, more like a semi-automatic dirty thought.

I got a copy in an ebay lot that included Mike James Kirkland's "Hang on In there" and the first Luther Vandross from '76.

Wasn't as mint as they descirbed it though and I'd love a cleaner copy

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

LATE PASS

Just got this. Highly recommened to you sweet soul fans.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    true, more like a semi-automatic dirty thought.

HA. That cracked me up.

I got a copy in an ebay lot that included Mike James Kirkland's "Hang on In there" and the first Luther Vandross from '76.

Do you still have a link to the auction or was this a while back? Did you drop $$$?

LATE PASS

What does that say holmes?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

LATE PASS

What does that say holmes?

Jimmy Briscoe and The Little Beavers - My Ebony Princess

i suggest unplugging the phone for this one