Record stores that don't rotate stock

JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Same old records for 2 years. No man, nobody is gonna buy them. Bring some new shit from the back of the store. Please. I feel bad for leaving empty handed every single time. Next time I'm gonna buy "The Bangles" just to make me feel less guilty. I love you, but I can't go on like this.

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Easy solution to this problem, don't go there.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    You gotta love (I mean hate) how these guys refuse to take more records cuz 'there isn't any space!'

Hence John Denver and Heart for days....... and no sales

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Same old records for 2 years. No man, nobody is gonna buy them. Bring some new shit from the back of the store. Please. I feel bad for leaving empty handed every single time. Next time I'm gonna buy "The Bangles" just to make feel less guilty. I love you, but I can't go on like this.

One time I was talking to the manager of a local used store and I asked him...'What's the most valuable thing you have in your store?"

He was thinking about it for a few seconds and said "I guess that Beatle Butcher Cover"

I said...."Nah, the most valuable thing you have in your store is SPACE"

He looked at me kind of funny and asked what I meant.

I went over to the rack, picked up 7 copies of the first Boston LP and explained "If you can't sell ONE of these you're certainly not gonna sell 7, and that's wasted space where 6 different LP's that you might actually be able to sell could be"

He was dumbfounded, clueless as to what I was getting at, and said "Well they're gonna have to be 6 pretty good albums to be worth as much as that Butcher Cover"

Doh!!

He was dumbfounded, clueless as to what I was getting at, and said "Well they're gonna have to be 6 pretty good albums to be worth as much as that Butcher Cover"

• reskresk 391 Posts
    to me, even worse is old record stores that still have stock from the 70's that never sold, yet they still try to price stuff as "new", since technically it isnt "used".
    if the record hasnt sold in the last 30 years, at least offer some type of price break, the record sure as hell isnt going anywhere, it hasnt in the last few decades.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    instead of bitching about stores that don't have ish, maybe some cats just need to up their ability for find new spots....

instead of bitching about stores that don't have ish, maybe some cats just need to up their ability for find new spots....
    Easy solution to this problem, don't go there.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    to me, even worse is old record stores that still have stock from the 70's that never sold

my favorite kind of store...

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

It's not that I was expecting to find East of Underground there, I just want my Nat Adderley on Galaxy, you know? And record stores and "spots" don't grow on trees around these parts. Basically, I will bitch about this deep problem of mine ALL THE FUCK I WANT, and you could not stop me

I don't think anybody in this thread is having a problem finding records

But stores like this are worthy of discussion/jokes

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    you're the mad digger! "Tell em why " like a Puffy skit

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    There was a local spot here like that for a while (I'm sure Asprin remembers it). It was a vintage modern furniture shop with an upstairs full of records (hipsters are still discovering LPs in Portland). Some decent stuff when they opened, then no new stock for the next two years. I would visit every once in a while to see if perhaps anything new came in, but always left empty handed. The owner would usually give me a dejected look, saying, "You're not buying anything today?" Last time I was there I asked the owner if he'd ever be getting new stock in. He replied, "Not until all that other stuff sells!"

Dude did not understand basic business principles.

I never went back.

There was a local spot here like that for a while (I'm sure Asprin remembers it). It was a vintage modern furniture shop with an upstairs full of records (hipsters are still discovering LPs in Portland). Some decent stuff when they opened, then no new stock for the next two years. I would visit every once in a while to see if perhaps anything new came in, but always left empty handed. The owner would usually give me a dejected look, saying, "You're not buying anything today?" Last time I was there I asked the owner if he'd ever be getting new stock in. He replied, "Not until all that other stuff sells!"

I never went back.
    Was this spot near Crossroads?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

What is dude paying rent for, anyways?

Why doesn't he just walk around with his butcher cover on a sandwich board a la

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

Same old records for 2 years. No man, nobody is gonna buy them. Bring some new shit from the back of the store. Please. I feel bad for leaving empty handed every single time. Next time I'm gonna buy "The Bangles" just to make feel less guilty. I love you, but I can't go on like this.

One time I was talking to the manager of a local used store and I asked him...'What's the most valuable thing you have in your store?"

He was thinking about it for a few seconds and said "I guess that Beatle Butcher Cover"

I said...."Nah, the most valuable thing you have in your store is SPACE"

He looked at me kind of funny and asked what I meant.

I went over to the rack, picked up 7 copies of the first Boston LP and explained "If you can't sell ONE of these you're certainly not gonna sell 7, and that's wasted space where 6 different LP's that you might actually be able to sell could be"

Doh!!

I wrote a long ass reply to this ranting about my old boss who was equally as dense and then realized no one would care so I deleted it. If nothing else I learned a lot about business from him.

The worst thing about having so many copies of the same record is that anyone who comes across it not knowing the music will assume it's wack. Otherwise there wouldn't be 7 copies sitting there.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

I never went back.
    Was this spot near Crossroads?

Not exactly, it was over on Belmont. The name was 007 and it was connected to The Red Light (a vintage clothing shop). The owner got all the records from his father, who is an antique dealer, but has a ton of records. I went to his house once, but the guy was so scared of getting ripped off that he would only let me buy records he was certain were dollarbincommon. The funny thing is, the father had a store very similar to 007, called Crackers. Asprin was the first to discover it and came up with some gems. I got a few nice records there too. Of course, all the heat was ridiculously underpriced.