Can anyone ID this bird?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
this bird looks so cool and i want to learn more about it and know what it eats. but i can't find anything cause i don't know what it is

Comments

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Gimme a few minutes. I'll hit up a friend who will definitely know.

Cool bird, btw. What race you think he is?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

hahahaha

well i know it was living in uganda at the time of this photo

• What race you think he is?

Funny, he doesn't act like a dodo.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    That's a wild looking bird. I wonder how it tastes.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

hahahaha

well i know it was living in uganda at the time of this photo

I thought he was Iranian

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    Whale-headed Stork (Balaeniceps rex)[/b]

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    oh god! i don't know why but that bird scares me. looks like some kind of mutated pelican to me...haha.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

should be right... definitely a storck.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Ornithology Strut in effect! I remember those from my trips to the zoo. East African methinks.

DAMN thank you!

behold

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

DAMN thank you!

behold

That thing ate my baby!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

DAMN thank you!

behold

is right...i can't get a handle on the perspective/dimensions - that pond is throwing me off...it looks giant???

i can't get a handle on the perspective/dimensions - that pond is throwing me off...it looks giant???

they grow up to 54 inches (4 ft 5in)

this one kinda reminds me of that popular old lady/young girl optical illusion

• that second pic is rad. he reminds me of looney bird.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i can't get a handle on the perspective/dimensions - that pond is throwing me off...it looks giant???

they grow up to 54 inches (4 ft 5in)

i'm 5'2"

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    bird raerz

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    oh god! i don't know why but that bird scares me. looks like some kind of mutated pelican to me...haha.

does every animal you like have to scare the shit out of me? dont you like koalas or pandas or something?

does every animal you like have to scare the shit out of me? dont you like koalas or pandas or something?

i like alpacas shig.

are you afraid of alpacas

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    She totally called you out, Shig.

Like...totally.

awwwwwwwww. yes, alpacas are bitchin!

• that's my fave Alpaca lolo

Dear Shig,

Hi I am a gigantic jelly fish and i sense fear and when i sense fear i want to eat your arm.

sincerely,
    G.J. Fish

ha ha *nervous laugh*

that's a nice photoshop.

ha ha *nervous laugh*

right?

ha ha *nervous laugh*

that's a nice photoshop.

ha ha *nervous laugh*

right?

right

this is real though

and they found this red fleshy one in the monterey bay a few years ago (nicknamed "big red"). it uses its arms to feed and is a meter wide

here is an article in the chronicle

• cascas 1,484 Posts

dayum! is this really really?

i used to love pelicans...until i heard this story. a buddy of mine i work with was deployed to git.mo a few years back and during his lunch break on the patrol boat was feeding some bread to the seagulls off the stern of the boat. when he was done he went up to the bow to take a leak over the side. a pelican flew up to him and opened it's mouth and took all the urine.

after i heard this, i can't look at pelicans the same way again.

BIG RED IN MOTION

embed src="http://www.sfgate.com/g/av/movies/2003/05/08/bigred.mp4"

cas, that is a giant jellyfish but they aren't that giant. so yeah it's fake. i'm just trying to give shig nightmares

and i totally just lost all respect for pelicans

• this bird looks so cool and i want to learn more about it and know what it eats. but i can't find anything cause i don't know what it is

I know I'm late to this but Real Headz, plus every zoo placard will call this a Shoebill. Coz that's what it is.

No not TET.

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    I know I'm late to this but Real Headz, plus every zoo placard will call this a Shoebill. Coz that's what it is.

The Shoebill, called "Whale-headed Stork" in some older literature, is a unique bird of uncertain affinities. As the old name suggests, it was once thought to be a relative of storks but its habit of flying with neck retracted and powder-down patches suggested an affinity with herons. But skeletal and biochemical evidence now show it is more closely related to pelicans (Sibley & Ahlquist 1990, Elliott 1992). Indeed, Sibley & Monroe (1990) reduced it to a subfamily of the Pelecanidae, but the Handbook of the Birds of the World is retaining it as a unique monotypic family.

• I know I'm late to this but Real Headz, plus every zoo placard will call this a Shoebill. Coz that's what it is.

The Shoebill, called "Whale-headed Stork" in some older literature, is a unique bird of uncertain affinities. As the old name suggests, it was once thought to be a relative of storks but its habit of flying with neck retracted and powder-down patches suggested an affinity with herons. But skeletal and biochemical evidence now show it is more closely related to pelicans (Sibley & Ahlquist 1990, Elliott 1992). Indeed, Sibley & Monroe (1990) reduced it to a subfamily of the Pelecanidae, but the Handbook of the Birds of the World is retaining it as a unique monotypic family.

Thanks. For a minute there I thought I was gonna have to revoke your Young Audubon Society membership. It's like a Ghetto Pass but yo pockets be fat with trailmix rather than duckets.