World Cup OVERRATED!?!

MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Here we go, all the soccer and foosball heads gonna get bent... All I have to say is NOT ENOUGH SCORING to much pedicure tapping like dudes thinking they making beats with there feet! Lame SPORT! I rather be watching Poker Torneys... Or Surfing Competition or Bowling!!! Shoot I rather be hitting up record spots during that time.... The only good thing about the World Cup is the players are fit and that's it! YO Check out this beat I made with my Knees! NO GOAL and Goals under 5 = Suck arse Sport! Sombody pass me the sports page I need to wipe my sacks!

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Normally I would agree with you about soccer being the most boring sport to watch, but there's something about the World Cup that makes it exciting. The fact that sooo many people care about it makes it easier to get behind. Shit, I have a roommate that quit his job and flew out to Germany for a month! It's contagious

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    dude, as long as team korea or whatever keeps winning and all these ktown ho's keep flaunting their cut up tshirts, im all about the world cup.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Here we go, all the soccer and foosball heads gonna get bent... All I have to say is NOT ENOUGH SCORING to much pedicure tapping like dudes thinking they making beats with there feet! Lame SPORT! I rather be watching Poker Torneys... Or Surfing Competition or Bowling!!! Shoot I rather be hitting up record spots during that time.... The only good thing about the World Cup is the players are fit and that's it! YO Check out this beat I made with my Knees! NO GOAL and Goals under 5 = Suck arse Sport! Sombody pass me the sports page I need to wipe my sacks!

dude, is this news? americans don't like/watch soccer...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    quick really dumb question. was team america even at the table? or have they already been eliminated?

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    they also fall down every fucking time they get touched, and act like they are about to die... then, as soon as they get the call they wanted, they jump back up and run around like nothing ever happened... this really makes it unwatchable for me... it's like watching duke basketball

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    "not enough scoring" is what happens when you put the best teams against the other best teams. i understand that people in the USA could give 3 shits less about soccer, but c'mon... it's only every 4 years and you wanna call it BORING?? i'll tell you what's boring... THE OLYMPICS ARE BORING! this shit is a worldwide celebration, batchz!! don't hate just cause you cant relate (and cause the USA team sucks a king-kong sized ass)... just hang in there, it'll be over in a few more weeks.

and i agree with the exaggerated rolling around on the floor shit... but have you ever been kicked by a pair of soccer cleats? it ain't no basketball foul.

but c'mon... it's only every 4 years and you wanna call it BORING??

yes, even if it only happened every 20 years, it would be boring... it looks like practice for another sport... run, run, run... don't score

i'll tell you what's boring... THE OLYMPICS ARE BORING!

cosign

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Normally I would agree with you about soccer being the most boring sport to watch, but there's something about the World Cup that makes it exciting.

Very true. I could not care much less about soccer at any other time, but I love some World Cup.

As for the faking injuries, this pisses me off too, but the one remotely good thing I can say about the US team in their game was that they did almost none of this.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts

dude, is this news? americans don't like/watch soccer...

Who Said We are American? Just because 90% strutters are doesnt mean I am. I am Mangonian Understand! again!

they also fall down every fucking time they get touched, and act like they are about to die... then, as soon as they get the call they wanted, they jump back up and run around like nothing ever happened... this really makes it unwatchable for me... it's like watching duke basketball

Perfectly Said! OH SNAP, you hit the Nail on the head FO SHO!!! LOL Duke basketball FO REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, even if it only happened every 20 years, it would be boring... it looks like practice for another sport... run, run, run... don't score

compared to ESPN showing lumberjack competitions... the world cup is highly stimulating to watch.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    They're still in there. Nobody's eliminated yet (although it ain't looking great for Poland), but USA have a tough group. They might take a point off Angola, but Italy will run right through them.

In answer to Mangoman, the thing about football is that a game doesn't have to be high-scoring to be good or entertaining. It's great when games are like that, but look at Germany/Poland tonight - no goals until right into stoppage time and, even if the football itself wasn't fantastic, there was plenty of drama. Americans expect different things from their sports, and that's cool and all, but not many of them seem able to process the idea that it's possible for a game of football to have no goals and no outright winner, and yet still be great to watch.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    soccer is the thinking man's game, it doesn't need 5 goals to be exciting. It's all about the deft touches, the nuances, and passing. The point of soccer is not to outrun your opponent, you would never last 90 mins in a match thinking like that. Key to success is ball movement, involving passing 90% of the time.

it doesn't offer the instant gratification that most n. american sports do, but the rest of the world knows what's up.

compared to ESPN showing lumberjack competitions... the world cup is highly stimulating to watch.

compared to watching grass grow, lumberjack competitions are highly stimulating to watch... i don't really understand your point

i will say, in favor of lumberjack competitions, at least somebody always wins at the end

i'm saying... ESPN shows worse things.

and sorry if you don't understand how the world cup scoring works... but believe me, there will be a winner.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Think about the inherent restriction of soccer (no hands) compared to our 4 major sports (baseball, b-ball, american football, hockey). You will learn to appreciate the skill level involved w/ the sport.

They're still in there. Nobody's eliminated yet (although it ain't looking great for Poland), but USA have a tough group. They might take a point off Angola, but Italy will run right through them.

In answer to Mangoman, the thing about football is that a game doesn't have to be high-scoring to be good or entertaining. It's great when games are like that, but look at Germany/Poland tonight - no goals until right into stoppage time and, even if the football itself wasn't fantastic, there was plenty of drama. Americans expect different things from their sports, and not many of them seem to be able to process the idea that it's possible for a game of football to have no goals and no outright winner, and yet still be great to watch.

Did sombody mention somthing I fell asleep Oh it's that soccer foosball talk again, good night! Oh yeah and I'll have the Lumberjack Special when I wake up...

well now you guys know how i feel when it's football season. and noone's forcing you to watch the shit... why so much hate?

Then why buy records and DJ, unless your digging with your feet?

no, i completely understand how it works, there really is nothing complicated about it... it's just kind of pointless to play to a 0 - 0 tie on the world's largest stage

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I guess I feel opposite the way many Americans do. I sometimes find basketball boring because there's hardly anythiing celebratory about a goal that occurs 100+ times a game.

But if you really want to see the most boring sport in existence, try baseball.

I guess I feel opposite the way many Americans do. I sometimes find basketball boring because there's hardly anythiing celebratory about a goal that occurs 100+ times a game.

HOW DARE YOU SPEAK RUBBISH! It takes more skill to hit a baseball than kick a ball!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    involving passing 90% of the time.

Think about the inherent restriction of soccer (no hands) compared to our 4 major sports (baseball, b-ball, american football, hockey). You will learn to appreciate the skill level involved w/ the sport.

i played soccer in college, hommie!... i understand the skill and effort involved, probably as much as anyone on here... those dudes are incredible athletes, but it is boring to watch... i spent a lot of years of my life playing soccer year round, and i seriously don't think i've ever been able to watch a match i wasn't playing in all the way through

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

SOCCER TROLL ALERT

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

i played soccer in college, hommie!... i understand the skill and effort involved, probably as much as anyone on here... those dudes are incredible athletes, but it is boring to watch... i spent a lot of years of my life playing soccer year round, and i seriously don't think i've ever been able to watch a match i wasn't playing in all the way through

*ping*

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

HOW DARE YOU SPEAK RUBBISH! It takes more skill to hit a baseball than kick a ball!

Awesome! Let me know when skill translates to "not boring."

Awesome! Let me know when skill translates to "not boring."

GOOD POINT!

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    One word.

HOCKEY!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    involving passing 90% of the time.

Much as I like the fact there's a six-pager about the World Cup where nobody's going on about not being able to understand the concept of a 0-0 draw, I do think it's funny how, even though it only comes around once every four years, there are still people who feel the need to assert the "superiority" of America's team games of choice during every World Cup, and reassure themselves that these sports have genuine international appeal. Y'know, "baseball is the biggest sport in Japan, the NBA is huge in China", that kind of thing. I mean, nobody else in the world is really all that bothered that Americans generally don't like/understand/care about football. Personally, I quite like to see the USA team doing well because they try to play good football. Still, complaining that it's not like basketball/baseball/NFL is a little like complaining about ice cream being cold. Love it or leave it alone.

PS: there are hot chicks in the other World Cup thread.