New Nick Cave movie

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
heard good things, heard bad things...whatcha know?

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    any mention of nick cave acting makes me scream "NOooooooooooooooooooo" like when darth vader found out natalie portman was dead...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I dont think he acts in it, I think he wrote and produced it

Its called "the Proposition", I believe

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It was out in the UK a few months ago, and generally got good-to-very-good reviews - lots of Peckinpah comparisons, which is fine by me. I never managed to catch it at the cinema, so I'll probably rent it when it gets a DVD release. The cast looks good; Ray Winstone and Guy Pearce are always worth watching, and Danny Huston is kinda underrated to me. I think Nick Cave wrote all or part of the score as well.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    Australians can pull the latepass on this one. It's a great movie, but quite graphic so it's probably not date material...

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    was this one filmed in aus ?? - if so I'm looking at one of the locations right now, small world what

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Nick Cave did a screening & Q&A down here in Brighton, where he now lives, a few months ago; film was ok, basically a western set in the outback. Lots of violence, lots of blood, lots of dirt & nastiness. Pearce & Winstone are good, nice cameo by John Hurt, Noah Taylor, I think his name is, is very good.

Cave revealed that his next project is a romantic comedy, set in Brighton. he said he wasn't joking. he was also sporting excellent handlebar moustache. Very brighton gay.

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    My mrs worked in a Brighton restaurant that he goes to alot, apparently he's really nice & his wife is a hottie.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Susie Bick, isn't it?

See him on the train with his kids quite a lot. One of the kids was overheard asking him "So why are drugs bad, daddy?"; whole carriage went quiet waiting for his reply. He avoided the question.

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    Susie Bick, isn't it?

See him on the train with his kids quite a lot. One of the kids was overheard asking him "So why are drugs bad, daddy?"; whole carriage went quiet waiting for his reply. He avoided the question.

That's the funniest shit I've read all day.

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    yeah it's her

train story is funny, I've never seen him around town, I only ever see D list comedians/actors.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Just caught The Proposition in the theatre last night outside DC (Greenbelt, MD, to be exact).
    Enter film critic mode:
    I thought it was great. Brutal and bleak. Great dialogue--almost poetic at times--as one would expect from Nick Cave. Music was excellent, too, especially the opening theme.
    Guy Pierce was really good as the man propositioned, Danny Huston was truly menacing as the brother and subject of the proposition, but Ray Winstone stole the show as the police captain who makes said proposition. His character is far more developed, complex and nuanced than any other in the story.
    Great cinematography. Definitely worth catching on the big screen. But probably equally effective on DVD.

Best line: "We're not misanthropes, we're family."

Best post-film line [overheard two little old ladies discussing the film in the lobby--no BS]: "It just goes to show you: you can't trust family."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Saw it on Friday. It is my favourite movie of the year so far.

It is a tight film, nothing excessive and perfectly sparse. Beautifully written/shot/acted and a great soundtrack. Very good example of how to show violence in a way to evoke empathy, etc. as opposed to being so excessive so the audience doesn't believe it and/or switches off from the brutality.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Caught it last week. Loved it. Very engaging...very Peckinpaugh. Want to see it again, but it got yanked from the theater the day after I saw it

• Caught it last week. Loved it. Very engaging...very Peckinpaugh. Want to see it again, but it got yanked from the theater the day after I saw it

Epic western, top shelf... the score was incredible, entirely original by Cave himself. He certainly has a penchant for searing guitars...

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

favorite movie of the year!

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    pick this up too...

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Suzie Bick was on the cover of Roxy Music too,

Her legs are

• jbarkerjbarker 71 Posts
    Was Warren Ellis involved in this? I think I heard somewhere he wrote it with Cave....

I saw him (Ellis) play with his band The Dirty Three a few weeks ago, and they were amazing. An instrumental group with violin, guitar and drums. Not jazz, not rock, not classical, just awesome.
    Oh, and Cat Power is on their new album too.

He rocked a bushranger beard too.

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    The opening scene on The Proposition is

No messing, no exposition, straight into the action, bullets whistling around like crazy. It does exactly what the opening scene of a film should do by setting the tone for what's to follow.

Great movie, one of the best things I've seen in the past year or so.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I had a feeling this was a good flick, but I missed it while it was running in the theatres. Got to resort to downloading it now even though this seems like a film that doesn't benefit from being viewed on a small screen

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    jbarker,

The Dirty Three are fucking amazing and have been around for a long time now. I've never seen them live (missed them last week) but i've heard that violin player is quite a character.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Was Warren Ellis involved in this? I think I heard somewhere he wrote it with Cave....

Ellis co-wrote the score with Cave.
    Full scoop here:
    theproposition.co.uk
    Nicely done site too.

• dmacdmac 472 Posts
    Great movie, one of the best things I've seen in the past year or so.

For the past few years now (since that sad piece of crap Daredevil hit theatres), I've been of the opinion that Guy Pearce should have played the Matt Murdoch/DD. He's got that lean, hungry intensity that would have suited the character perfectly.

Kate Beckinsale could've played Elektra. ANYONE could have played Elektra better than Jennifer Garner.

And Jason Statham would've made a decent Bullseye.

[Michael Clarke Duncan was inspired casting, though, I must admit.]

Anyone who's familiar with the original Elektra saga as Frank Miller conceived it should agree, yeah?

• jbarkerjbarker 71 Posts
    jbarker,

The Dirty Three are fucking amazing and have been around for a long time now. I've never seen them live (missed them last week) but i've heard that violin player is quite a character.

Yeah, I remember taping one of their albums off my cousin when I was 12 (9 years ago now) and I loved it. They've always been an "I'll see them next time they play" kinda band for me, but I broke up with my girlfriend of 3 years and it was just the kind of music I was after.
    There was a light positioned just behind Jim White that projected his shadow onto the wall when he was drumming. It was beautiful.
    And Ellis would talk about the songs at every break. A song about being sad and depressed was called "Sad and Fucking Depressed".

You HAVE to see them.

Am I right in thinking they did the music on Cat Powers "Moon Pix"?

And The Proposition isn't out in Aus yet, is it?