Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

"the hatch" is great. quit hatin.

yes, but also sounds fine on reissue.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

"the hatch" is great. quit hatin.

yes, but also sounds fine on reissue.

true, i guess the ridiculous price tag is what landed it in this thread

good track, but im not dying to have an original (unlike some $1000 funk 45s everybody hates on...)

• Options
    Combien?

Might need it for a trade, J.

K.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Soufriere/ JP[/b]whats up with this Jamaican moder soul thing. Is this a new market or something?

• Options
    About as old as you dude. JA guys like ballads. they dance to it. Pick up 50 somethings their wifey don't know to it. Drink a lickle Guiness (not the thick stuff) to it. The modern part extends from the 70's and 60's before it, just like the musci does.

Easy, k.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Soufriere/ JP[/b]whats up with this Jamaican moder soul thing. Is this a new market or something?

Not a new market at all.

Jamaicans love their soul music.

In the words of my good friend ****, "they want the funk tune or the dance tune. we play the ballad."

About as old as you dude. JA guys like ballads. they dance to it. Pick up 50 somethings their wifey don't know to it. Drink a lickle Guiness (not the thick stuff) to it. The modern part extends from the 70's and 60's before it, just like the musci does.

Easy, k.

beat me to it!

Notice in many reggae documentaries, the artist will talk about, "we started out immitating groups like The Impressions dem"

It is no coincidence that there are many soul covers in reggae music.

... and for comparison,

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

the collectros I know still get together, to this day, and have listening parties/dances. You have all seen the soundsystems in Soufriere's pics. It touches my heart to think of a bunch of fifty-somethings yelling at each other about how tough a tune is and dancing to sweet soul ballads.

I aspire to be as dedicated to the music after a lifetime of hard work, family, etc. It is really something.

When I am digging at one particular spot, I usually have to contend with a box of speakers taller than me blasting some Skool Boys or Stylistics jam.

• Options
    If you're ever up here, I'll take you to a party. The dancing is worth the price of admission.

K.

• Options
    the collectros I know still get together, to this day, and have listening parties/dances. You have all seen the soundsystems in Soufriere's pics. It touches my heart to think of a bunch of fifty-somethings yelling at each other about how tough a tune is and dancing to sweet soul ballads.

I aspire to be as dedicated to the music after a lifetime of hard work, family, etc. It is really something.

When I am digging at one particular spot, I usually have to contend with a box of speakers taller than me blasting some Skool Boys or Stylistics jam.

You know that yearly party that rotates between TO, NY and Jamaica (where it was this year), J? Got to hang out at the pre-JA party here in Toronto before they left - quite an experience.

Many of the guys have been collectros for 40 odd years.

K.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

I think as far as full blown soul music goes, Jamaica, might have actually beat us at making it as well. I am a greenhorn when it comes to Jamaican stuff, but I recently heard some early 60s Alton Ellis that blew my mind, it was straight up soul singing...pure soul singing. The stuff I heard was from '61, and we still had that 12 bar/RnB thing going on, but they seemed to have made the leap a split second before we did.

heres a marginally funny jamaican/soul story...James Frierson, Wendy Rene's brother(he was in the Drapels with Wendy and he recorded on Hi as James Fry), comes into the shop a lot, and once we had gotten a grip of jamiacan 45s and a cover of "after laughter" was in there. So he comes in and I said "hey James, check this out...and I played the record and his eyes bugged out..."Hey, thats my sisters record! where is this from?" I said "jamaica" and he said, "jamiaca? where is that Africa!?" He was blown away by the record.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

Ditto. Don't need to listen to Afro Rock again. Not a huge library fan overall. Weaksauce.

K.

yeah, libraries are soooooo 2002!

PSA All those who don't like their libraries anymore, I'll buy em.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

dull...every tune sounding the same.

Wow, gotta disagree with this one here... IMHO this record has some top-notch tunes on it, and some great guitar and pedal-steel work too. The part at the end of the song "Survivor" when they're singing "everybody's dead!" over and over in weird harmonies through a Leslie makes me go everytime. It may not be worth $700, but then again very very very few albums are... pretty solid, in my opinion.

Now, if you were to say that for instance this

is an overrated US private press, or that this

isn't all that, I'd agree with that...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Can I make a quick mention for 87% of the 'random rap' records that seem to sell upwards of $200?

not quite $200, but I see it regularly fetch +$130.....for one good cut...

j---, 3 good songs on that record. i wouldnt pay that price, but its an LP i enjoy having around.