People who talk to themselves (???)

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
what is this? i once in a while talk to myself alone but it's usually one or two words like "GODDAMNIT!!" but i hear people at my work always talking to themselves under their breath. my cube neighbor is always whispering things to herself while working and it makes me nervous like she is gonna snap. she is always so stressed out and whispering to herself. i used to have a roommate a long time ago that had whole conversations with himself when he thought noone was home.what the hell is this? help me understand

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Growing up in NYC it was common to see some nut walking down the street having a loud conversation with himself.

But now with this Blue Tooth phone in the ear bullshit it's hard to figure out who's a nut and who's just on the phone!!!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    There are different factors that can make one
    a self-talker. Some pick it up in childhood - "only
    children" who spend hours at play with imaginary friends can
    maintain the habit later in life ... one of the most common
    causes of self-talking is from child-rearing. Moms will spend
    entire days "talking to" their infants who can not respond or,
    even if they are able to speak, have no idea what their Mom
    is talking about. For example, most Mothers will talk away
    to their child about what tasks need to be done that day -
    "oh, goodness, I need to go grocery shopping and take the
    cat to the vet - where will we find the time, Junior?"
    By the time Junior is grown and off in school and Mom is
    spending her days alone, she is far too accustomed to talking
    without expecting a response to give it up now...

• DustbusterDustbuster 278 Posts
    I do this all the time. I chalk it up to being an only child and not having much people to talk to. I'd like to think I'm not crazy. But when I tell myself "shut up, your talking to yourself" I know I need to get out of the office for a while.

Sometimes your the only one that can really listen to yourself.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    When I was 7 or 8 I would do this because my family lived in the country and I had no friends. I don't do it anymore, but I always get the feeling people that do are lonely.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I talk to myself in context of yelling at stuff, football games, stupidity on TV, computers, etc. I don't know where that falls on the sanity level, but just talking to yourself about what you gotta do during the day at work, etc. always struck me as odd. Maybe they're a very careful, methodical type person. Maybe yelled at too much as a kid/the meek type.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

We have a male administrative assistant who talks to himself incessantly. He's good at what he does (copying test, documents, and such), but he sort of creeps me out. He sounds annoyed in his self-rants. Mistakenly, I called him "Jimbo" once to which he replied, "Don't call me that. I don't like it when people call me Jimbo." Oops, I sure don't want to annoy dude cause he comes across as potentially "postal". He reminds me of that herb-ish dude in "Office Space."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I talk to myself in context of yelling at stuff, football games, stupidity on TV, computers, etc.

ok actually i do this too and it is embarassing. sometimes i clap my hands in front of the tv like i am at an actual game.

what soulonice posted makes a lot of sense to me. i just can't tell with my co-worker cause she always seems like she's gonna explode when she's having some technical problem. the whispering i hear when she is in the ladies room too it makes me want to get the hell out of there fast. i do find it odd and it makes me nervous cause i can't actually hear what she's saying. it's just whispering. i just can't tell what is "normal" self-talking and what might be considered early stages of schizophrenia

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Schizophrenia often involves the subject either 1) thinking/being in an imaginary situation that doesn't actually exist or 2) having an internal dialogue with themselves, instead of just a monologue. But crazy ass monologues are also possible. Just guard your grill!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    what the hell is this? help me understand

I do this sometimes when I'm alone. I don't really hold a conversation with myself or anything (though if I did, it would be because talking to myself is the only way to have an intelligent conversation--ha cha!)...it's more like I think out loud. Or I actually start speaking my internal monologue. Something like that.

• My good friend Aaron talks to himself all the time. He told me about it once and
    said it was good for building his vocabulary. Given that he's a really good rapper
    (and an only child), I'm all for it.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    I often talk to myself in other languages for practice.

Man, that sounds really weird, doesn't it?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i yell at the tv, too.

i also worked with a woman who talked to herself in the ladies room. she was the big boss and a bit hyper and totally overworked. i think one of the ways she kept on tops of things was to talk herself through it...out loud...on the toilet...

• My brother was at a grocery store once and he heard this guy say something right behind him.

My brother turned around and said, "What?"

They guy looked at him and said, "I wasn't talking to you."

then as he walked away, my brother heard him say, "I wasn't even talking to him."

one time my brother must have hit some buttons by accident on his phone when he was driving and he called me by accident. I picked up and heard him having a long conversation with himself. He's always talked to himself, but I don't think he's crazy. Talking to yourself can be a more constructive way of thinking becuase it forces your thoughts to be linear.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    a woman who talked to herself in the ladies room. she was the big boss and a bit hyper and totally overworked. i think one of the ways she kept on tops of things was to talk herself through it...out loud...on the toilet...

so what was she saying?

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i yell at the tv, too.

i also worked with a woman who talked to herself in the ladies room. she was the big boss and a bit hyper and totally overworked. i think one of the ways she kept on tops of things was to talk herself through it...out loud...on the toilet...

maybe she was talking to her poops.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i thought there was some massive schizophrenia pandemic coming through a few years ago, but 9 out of 10 times it's these things...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i like it when they wear that blue toof shit and no one's talking to them so they just look like corny middle aged borg.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    a woman who talked to herself in the ladies room. she was the big boss and a bit hyper and totally overworked. i think one of the ways she kept on tops of things was to talk herself through it...out loud...on the toilet...

so what was she saying.

it wasn't that audible and you know, i didn't put my ear to the stall door or anything lol, but it did sound like she was going through her schedule, that kind of thing.
    it was probably the only time she had to herself - she was one of those super-mom/super-execs that came up in the 80's.

edit - i didn't mean out loud like top volume, but as in not in her head...

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    I had a friend who I would often find talking to himself under his breath but I finally realized after asking him about it that he was sort of writing out loud (he was interested in being a writer at that point) by basically describing the scene in front of him. He was always interested in the sound of the written word spoken so I guess this made sense.

I sometimes talk to myself but usually only a phrase or two, and I find that I usually do it to make a thought more real and in some sense to get it out of my head because it was looping around in my mind for some time.

I would be willing to bet that some people (like your co-worker) might talk to themselves if they feel small, or shy, or powerless much of the time and talking to themselves is the only way to release some of the energy and emotions and thoughts that they constantly have building inside them because they often do not vocalize their thoughts to others.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I know someone who mouths conversations to himself all the time, his facial expressions will change too. Its strange because he doesn't make a sound, but his lips move and his face is very expressive.

• LuckyLaneLuckyLane 35 Posts
    I never talked to myself until I became a radio DJ in college. I guess it was like the child-rearing thing, as you spend hours in an empty studio talking into a mic and you get used to no ears but your own. Most of my self-talking falls into the "What the fuck?" category as I trash-talk about the a-holes around me. Often I tell myself out loud "Yeah, I'd do her" in the supermarket aisles.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    what about talking to cats? they don't give a fuck what you're saying. but i still maintain a fantastic imaginary dialogue

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Haha so you guys have all seen those Garfield cartoons where people remove garfield's part of the dialogue, right?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    On the Blue Line train from O'Hare to SexyBNyce's crib the other week, this old burnout hippie dude would respond every time the train's automated voice chimed in.

"Next stop, Washington. Doors open to the left."

"WE HEARD IT ALREADY! WHY YA GOTTA SAY IT! WE'LL FIND OUT WHEN WE GET THERE!"

Bad enough once, but he did this for EVERY SINGLE STOP.

The only thing that topped him was the 'roided out bodybuilder across from me who was wearing a t-shirt that said "WELCOME TO THE GUN SHOW."