?uestlove's Record Library

2»

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Dood is living a very nice life; successful musician, dilettante and collectro with his own custom built vinyl library tended by family. I have to admit, I am jealous

for real, no need to knock dude. he might not be mr.savvy colectro-bot, but he's a dude who has carved out a very comfortable life for himself doing what he loves and making music that a lot of people all over the world have enjoyed. plus, he has the visually appealing record library. kinda hot that his sister was like, "thats the axelrod section"

someone sat me down with him at his studio, probably 5 years ago, to sell him records. he did keep asking if i could get him headless heroes.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    In my opinion it's not about knocking the dude.

It's just there are about 3492098340 other people I'd rather watch a 5 minute video of them talking about their records.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    In my opinion it's not about knocking the dude.

It's just there are about 3492098340 other people I'd rather watch 5 minute video of them talking about their records.

Yeh but this wasn't made for collectros, it was made for Scion. This is perfect for them and their traget audience.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Is it me or is ?uestlove semi stupid?

Dood clames to have 5 "record agents" seeking out not only the records that Jay Dee sampled but the complete discography of artists Jay Dee sampled. Just incase Jay "missed a sample".

Could Brother Question be the biggest little dood?

How do I get a job as Questlove's record agent?

It's you.

I defended Ahmir here a few years ago. I've ignored the periodic hate since then but thought since there are so many new kids here I would do it again.

Ahmir is a great drummer.

Ahmir is a super nice guy.

Ahmir loves music.

Ahmir loves records.

Ahmir does his own digging.

What Ahmir lacks in nerdy label variation knowledge he makes up for with musical knowledge that would shame all of you all.

I've been selling records a long time and the person I've ever come across who was digging for a famous producer was digging for Josh.

Amir, like many rock collectors is a completest. There are people who have dedicated their lives to a never ending search for the endless variations of the 13 lps the Beatles put out. Since most people here collect only records with a break beats, a funky cut or that moody soul sound, competests seem weird. Ahmir does not collect label variations but he does like to get compete runs on artists he likes.

He liked Giant Steps so he bought all the Joe Pass records. Since they sell cheap he didn't lose much and he got a bunch of records that are great even though most do not have any funk or break beats. I'm sure many of you have record collections that would benifit greatly if you added Virtuoso #3 and #4 and listened to some great guitar music.

So chill on the hate.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    what! what ! philly stand up!!!!!!

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    I defended Ahmir here a few years ago. I've ignored the periodic hate since then but thought since there are so many new kids here I would do it again.

One of the reasons I have no desire to meet most of the people who post here in the "real" world is precisely because of this misplaced holier-than-thou hate towards guys like Questlove. Cut the guy a break already. You don't have to be a record uber-nerd or record store owner like some folks here to appreciate music or to have your own approach towards collecting records by artists you admire.

Let the hate dissipate.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    if ?uestlove and Screech had a child together it could very well become the soulstrut antichrist

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Hey, this is a record nerd board...of course there is going to be some chin scratching over label variations. Not everyone on here is just into braeks, moody poops, drama shanks or whatever they are called...a lot of us love music(all kinds) just as much as ?uestlove...so if we wanna nerd out on some record misinformation, this is the place to do it.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    chin scratching...nerd out

is that what hating on people you dont even know is called?

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

One of the reasons I have no desire to meet most of the people who post here in the "real" world is precisely because of this misplaced holier-than-thou hate towards guys like Questlove. Cut the guy a break already. You don't have to be a record uber-nerd or record store owner like some folks here to appreciate music or to have your own approach towards collecting records by artists you admire.

Let the hate dissipate.

Definitely.

I like dude because he's totally upfront and down to earth with what he's into. He finds something he likes, and follows that thread of producers, players, whatever. He's into "headless heroes" and has stories to tell. I'd rather hear about that than ANYBODY rattling off a funk 45 discography or waxing philisophical about library LPs. Records really mean something to people for reasons other than total music nerdulation.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Records really mean something to people for reasons other than total music nerdulation.
    Not here.

LaserWolfstratasphere

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Explain how talking about the label is hating...How was I hating? what did I say that was offensive? Really, explain it to me. How can saying "that is not an original press" is hating. Did I poo-poo his music? did I say he was a bad person? did I say he is talentless? Did I say he drinks the blood of puppies?

Whatever.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Records really mean something to people for reasons other than total music nerdulation.
    Not here.

Not here.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Explain how talking about the label is hating...How was I hating? what did I say that was offensive? Really, explain it to me. How can saying "that is not an original press" is hating. Did I poo-poo his music? did I say he was a bad person? did I say he is talentless? Did I say he drinks the blood of puppies?

Whatever.

no one is pointing out the label talk. talk labels all day. but if you read through the first page youd see its more than just label talk. you summed up the mass hating as nerd talk.

i wasnt directing that directly at you.

• JoshDJoshD 215 Posts

Ahmir is a great drummer.

Ahmir is a super nice guy.

Ahmir loves music.

Ahmir loves records.

Ahmir does his own digging.

What Ahmir lacks in nerdy label variation knowledge he makes up for with musical knowledge that would shame all of you all.

I've been selling records a long time and the person I've ever come across who was digging for a famous producer was digging for Josh.

Amir, like many rock collectors is a completest. There are people who have dedicated their lives to a never ending search for the endless variations of the 13 lps the Beatles put out. Since most people here collect only records with a break beats, a funky cut or that moody soul sound, competests seem weird. Ahmir does not collect label variations but he does like to get compete runs on artists he likes.

He liked Giant Steps so he bought all the Joe Pass records. Since they sell cheap he didn't lose much and he got a bunch of records that are great even though most do not have any funk or break beats. I'm sure many of you have record collections that would benifit greatly if you added Virtuoso #3 and #4 and listened to some great guitar music.

So chill on the hate.

I stand corrected. Good looking on defending your homie.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Not here.

DUDE

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Damn, you dudes and your relentless postitivity can be tiresome.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Dan has always been my favorite strutter.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    One of the reasons I have no desire to meet most of the people who post here in the "real" world is precisely because of this misplaced holier-than-thou hate.

Hey Kaushik, you've got it wrong. I think the majority of people on here are very nice and their posts reflect this accordingly.

Then there's the minority of posters who initially come across as showboating bungholes. Don't let the inflated post counts, mutual prepuce rubbing and gung-ho tactics fool you. They are most likely very nice people too. Attribute the discrepancy to the dubious phenomenon called "The Internet Persona" as well as the notion of "keeping it live" by playing devil's advocate to stir it up. A lot of smoke and no fire. Don't take it too seriously.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts

now this would be a great shirt for the soulstrut store!!!!!!

• ehuffmanehuffman 302 Posts
    Is it me or is ?uestlove semi stupid?

sounds like it.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

COFUCKINGSIGN

COFUCKINGSIGN

I'd buy that.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Hey Kaushik, you've got it wrong. I think the majority of people on here are very nice and their posts reflect this accordingly.

Sounds to me like relentless pro-Strutter positivity.

Could be you're right on, but then I read posts speculating on Questlove's apparent "semi-stupidity" etc. Now that's not being nice folks, I sure wouldn't appreciate some record collecting dudes questioning my intelligence based on some 5 minute corporate video segment.

Anyways, thanks for the perspective and I will try to always stay positive in the midst of the negative Internet personas that sometimes populate the Strut.

I'm being tongue in cheek, of course.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Sounds to me like relentless pro-Strutter positivity.

Not especially pro-Strut but definetely pro-positivity. Don't get wrong, I like me some clown, but I prefer witty banters over acidic ranters.

I hear what you're saying. I still think that the majority here are nice people. The others are actually few, they just have a high posting frequency that make them very visible.

GLOOM, you gotta make it happen!

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    I sense a lot of jealousy in this thread, people envy fame,$$$ and success but he just seems like a genuinely cool dude to me, and I have always loved the Roots. 
    Didn't he date the chick from Groove Theory in high school or something?

So who would you rather hang out with for a day Questlove or Future? 

• deezleedeezlee 298 Posts
    I'd rock the t-shirt though