international mail madness

tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
not male madness, mail madnessi sent a package to england 6 weeks ago, airmail. customer never received it.he's about to check his post office and he asked me if i could do something on this end.i have the customs form # on the receipt, but thats it. regualr airmail, no confirmations, etc.(i actually charged hommie ten dollars too little for shipping, which i had too eat) anything i can do for the guy? ive never had a package lost to a customer, so this is sheeety feeling. plaese to advice.-t

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    damn. everyone got me on ignore?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    do you have a "not responsible for parcels lost by the mail" disclaimer on the listing?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    The last time I was getting a package Airmail from UK it took a ridiculously long time, I'm fairly sure it was longer than 6 weeks

I'd say hold out

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    it's not your fault. you can't do anything about it. maybe you have a lost & foun office at th airport or something. sometimes packages without addresses (maybe the sticker came off) are being stored at the airport or big cities post offices. you could try to call some of those offices and ask if they are storing a package with records inside. tell them what's supposed to be inside and they'll open it to have a look.

would be a good way to get records for free...

• Options
    I've had a cople packages go missing over there - One insured, one not. YOu can try contacting customs and the post office it was destined to.

K.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Fill out the green loss claim form from the post office and include (from a receipt showing the transaction) all relevant info, including package descriptions, addresses, Customs form #, etc. This has actually helped me many times, seemingly getting packages released from customs.
    Peace
    T.N.

good advice, k. i had a dutch guy who needed me to write out a letter to customs officials some months ago, before they let him ge this wax. madness.

the guy isnt blaming anything on me, but i still want to help him out if i can.

thanks yall,t

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Tripdub, if all else fails you can out of the goodness of your heart offer to reimburse dude for half of what he spent (so that you both absorb equal lost on this transaction gone wrong)and ask him to return the $$$ to you in good faith if the record ever arrives. I know you're all about the good karma, so I think it's a decent option. Of course you are in no way obligated to do this, but like I said, good karma. I did this once when a guy informed me that he never received a record I'd sent to him. The record finally arrived a few days later and dude did refund the money (people are actually pretty honest about stuff like that for the most part, truth be told). Yeah, you could end up outta some of your scrilla, but that lost gwop is no match for the warm fuzzy feeling that will envelop you from head to toe for your selfless act of kindness towards a stranger from a far away land. You know what to do, young tripdub.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    The last time I was getting a package Airmail from UK it took a ridiculously long time, I'm fairly sure it was longer than 6 weeks

But this is T*ny we're talking about, not J*hn St*pleton!

• djrdjr 511 Posts
    I got an e-bay buyer from Italy who has contacted me twice because he hasn't received his record yet...problem is he's sent like 10 messages via e-bay asking "where's my record man?" and "why are you ignoring me" 3 hours apart (hello, I work...).

odd thing is he left me positive feedback 8 days after I posted the 45

sounds

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    I have had HORRIBLE experience with the UK post offices, even sending stuff registered has gone missing. Almost to the point where I will not mail anything to the UK. I live in Hong Kong and it is always on the UK side where they "lose" or "misplace" packages.
    Hope you have better luck!

damnit phil, stop shining a light on the righteous path!
    gottam soulstrut guilt patrol and shit

if the package doesnt show up, i'll do the right thing.
    hopefully when he calls customs, itll work out.

anyone ever get bit in the neck from putting $10 down on customs forms (when the records are usually worth much more). i'm guessing it would be hard to claim the records were worth $250 when your customs slip declares worth at $12 of used records.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

Just on the USPS website - anyone ever try and work through their International Inquiry Center? If so, comments please.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Tony. Tell dude to be patient. UK customs can be a biznitch. I have had two UK customers wait almost two months to get their air mail packages. Brits customs want to tax dat ass.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Yeah, give it a little while longer. Customs can be a long delay and our very own Royal Mail is not above losing packages (either permanently or for a few weeks) particularly if you're sending to London.

• subsub 311 Posts
    happened to me twice. usually packege is coming back to you after two month or something. i think it's quite uncommon that it'll still be delivered to the person in england. british mail sucks.....