VINYL THE MOVIE - YOUTUBE

2»

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

i want Christopher Lloyd to play dude in the motion picture ....that nut is a star

I was thinking John Cleese

My first thought that he looks almost exactly like Tom Jane's character from Boogie Nights....character's name is Todd I think. The guy who gets shotgunned at the coke deal gone bad. Am I wrong here people?

hahaha!

• can you re-up this? I'd love to see it. Thanks.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

How about a new TV Show...."My Name Is K-Tel Guy" starring Jason Lee

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

"QueensRHYCHE !!"

• slavinslavin 577 Posts

"QueensRHYCHE !!"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    stupid question but how do i play avi on a mac

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

I'm pretty sure Mac users need to download and install the DIVX codec:

http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/download/

That should allow you to watch it right from QuickTime, but the download also includes a player application that should play the file as well.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts

also, danke for the upload/youtube, sheep/waxidermy!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    Please Please re-up , link no longer works

Plaese to re-up. THX

• Thanks to djsheep for uploading this. I have to say though, this movie was unwatchable. I began skipping through it after about 15 minutes.
    The problem with "Vinyl", as with so many documentaries nowadays, is that the whole thing is more about the creator of the movie than the supposed subjectmatter. I just can't stand the narsissitic tone that dominates "Vinyl".

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Watching it now, thanks a bunch for sharing this.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

The problem with "Vinyl", as with so many documentaries nowadays, is that the whole thing is more about the creator of the movie than the supposed subjectmatter. I just can't stand the narsissitic tone that dominates "Vinyl".

i agree with you to a point, this movie is a bit of a mess because there are too many personal roads travelled.

BUT i don't think the filmmaker would have been able to get the real shut-in/shy dudes to reveal so much if he had not put himself out there as much as he did. he knows what to say and what to ask and how to put it in a way that make folks feel comfortable and safe enough to say as much as they do.

it's not narcissistic imo, maybe navel-gazing...tomay-to/tomah-to?

he has this thing with collecting records and he sees like behaviour in others that have this thing with collecting records and he's trying to understand it. it's dumb luck it's about records, it could have just as easily been called Porcelain and was shot after shot of Royal Doultons, Wedgewoods and Meissens.

the filmmaker IS the subject matter.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    re-upping another time now...

peace.

p.s. taiwan is a trip! i'll be posting photos in the coming weeks... anyone out here reading this, we're djing at peach nightclub in taichung on saturday (17th), hit me if you wanna be on the guest list.

• missbasie:

I just don't see the relevance of, for example, the segment with Zweig talking to Harvey Pekar about his lovelife. If it was to make Pekar more "open" to talk about other stuff, fine, but why couldn't they have edited that out later. And all the shots of Zweig talking to himself in the mirror, I don't know...

Sorry to sound "ass-hurt" but I'm kinda fed up with this era of people constantly talking, writing blogs and making movies about nothing but themselves. Have been for a long time. Sorry for the rant.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    The good thing about it might be that you can show this movie to someone who isn't into records and they can enjoy it the same way I enjoyed "Some kind of monster" even though I could care less about Metallica. And if you watch this movie you sorta see the weird collector personality subtype that some collectors (K-tel man, for example) have more that others. Yeah, the media/documentary climate can be a bit annoying but that's what you get when technology and communications are cheap and affordable - a lot of people doing what interests them and a whole lot of crap to look through to find the good stuff. For better or worse.

• Cocktail soundtrack!

what a full of shit dumbass this guy is

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    stupid question but how do i play avi on a mac

Strongly recommend VLC.

I have yet to meet a codec it couldn't render viewable in OSX.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    missbasie:

I just don't see the relevance of, for example, the segment with Zweig talking to Harvey Pekar about his lovelife. If it was to make Pekar more "open" to talk about other stuff, fine, but why couldn't they have edited that out later. And all the shots of Zweig talking to himself in the mirror, I don't know...

Sorry to sound "ass-hurt" but I'm kinda fed up with this era of people constantly talking, writing blogs and making movies about nothing but themselves. Have been for a long time. Sorry for the rant.

lol - yes we are at a whole new level of the me-generation now...

i can't speak for Zweig, but my take is that he asks about Pekar's love life, they way he did with some of the other folks, to see if this obsession gets in the way of meeting women. god, the underlying theme of the movie is the difficulty some of these folks have connecting with people. were they loners first and collectors second or did their insane love/obsession with records isolate them?
    anyway.

yea, all the mirror bits were a little too much. the ending was what drove me nuts...it veered off into a whole new movie practically.
    there's a lot in the movie, a more ruthless editor would have helped imo.

• MrSeanMrSean 57 Posts
    Its a pretty strange film and there's quite a lot about it that I dont like. Even so, its worth checking out. Its pretty sad to see the late Chris Probert of Toronto (the dude with piles of records all over his house that he cant get to bed without moving them). Chris was such a great guy and was always super cool to me when I used to buy from him. And he had plenty of heat too. For a while he had website up and running, around 1996, "Crisco's Record Works", I think is was called, that was pretty nice too. Its kind of upsetting to see him in this film. Chris RIP.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Many thanks for the link, I'd been hearing about this one for awhile, especially from my Canadien comrads...
    but never got around to tracking it down...
    It's just as depressing as I'd imagined it...

Now who's got the Deep Crates movie and can get the strutters a nice web link...
    I know someone can hook it up!

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Now who's got the Deep Crates movie and can get the strutters a nice web link...

This can still be obtained straight from the source, unless you're not enough of a baller to drop $25

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    were they loners first and collectors second or did their insane love/obsession with records isolate them?
    anyway.

I pictured you saying this to camera, looking like John Cusack when reading this.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts

This can still be obtained straight from the source, unless you're not enough of a baller to drop $25
    I know lot's of places to buy it, I don't need to own it...
    Just wanna watch it for free...

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    can someone reup vinyl???

• dayday 9,612 Posts

I know lot's of places to buy it, I don't need to own it...

Just wanna watch it for free...

Your tact never ceases to amaze me.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Classic B0mp