NY Apt Strut (NRR)

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
My homegirl Julie is moving there to attend NYU and is looking for housing. This is the message:
I'm hoping for a nice space in the W. Village, Soho, E. Village, Chelsea/Tribeca (roughly in that order of preference). Given that housing in NY is what it is, I'm completely open as to living situations (roommates, share, studio, 1-bdrm). $1100/mo. would be pref. but am willing to pay up to $1500 for the right space. It's important that my apt be close to school (Wash Sq Park), that the place has internet, and that my room has windows/light and is a decent size (hopefully no smaller than 10x10). I'll hoping to find a place that I can stay for a good chunk of time--who likes moving?
Any help is appreciated. If you got something or know of something either PM me or just write it up on this here thread. Thanks yall...

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    craigslist.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    My homegirl Julie is moving there to attend NYU and is looking for housing. This is the message:

I'm hoping for a nice space in the W. Village, Soho, E. Village, Chelsea/Tribeca (roughly in that order of preference). Given that housing in NY is what it is, I'm completely open as to living situations (roommates, share, studio, 1-bdrm). $1100/mo. would be pref. but am willing to pay up to $1500 for the right space. It's important that my apt be close to school (Wash Sq Park), that the place has internet, and that my room has windows/light and is a decent size (hopefully no smaller than 10x10). I'll hoping to find a place that I can stay for a good chunk of time--who likes moving?

Any help is appreciated. If you got something or know of something either PM me or just write it up on this here thread.

Thanks yall...

$1100 is Bushwick, or Greenpoint if she doesn't like guns.

$1500 is a studio in Williamsburg or Lower East Side or waaaaaay uptown.

The neighborhoods she listed, $1500 and up will get you a share, fuggedabout natural light though, that's a grand extra!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    she doesnt want to deal with a broker and said that craigslist has been terrible. shes the third person who told me that NYs craigslist was NOT WORKING for them finding an apartment.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    she doesnt want to deal with a broker and said that craigslist has been terrible. shes the third person who told me that NYs craigslist was NOT WORKING for them finding an apartment.

Really?

It's been almost four years since I was last in the market, but I found Craigslist to be extremely effective.

It may not be effective in the neighborhood she's focusing on, but I really think she should expand her search anyway--no reason to pay through the nose down there for what's probably not going to be a very desirable space.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Thanks yall...

Honestly, this sounds like Brooklyn.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Justin she wants to pay $11-1500 for just herself, or the whole apartment? Because $1500 is going to get you a closet in the village, whereas $3000 could get you a decent 2-br.

Ditto FauxRillz' remarks on craigslist - that is the best way... that is the #1 way most people out here search for apartments... she should also try Village Voice though... NYPost/Daily News have listings too.

Paying a broker fee is almost mandatory in this city, so she might want to get over that. And quite frankly it is a lot easier said than done to find an apartment close to NYU so she should probably get used to the idea that she might have to live over a bridge or at least far enough up or downtown to take the train.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    She should really try to get a dorm room at NYU. A decent apartment in any of the areas she listed is going to be dumb expensive.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    good advice... im sending her an email with all of your suggestions later on today...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Dont Sleep on Chinatown & Hell's Kitchen & Turtle Bay

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Any help is appreciated. If you got something or know of something either PM me or just write it up on this here thread.

Thanks yall...

I would also advise her to contact alumni from NYU or from her highschool or undergrad who may be able to help. She may need to expand her locations list, Chelsea/Tribeca, SoHo and the West Village dont come cheap. For the money she is willing to spend she should try East Village, Chinatown/Lower East Side.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    craigslist is not working for her because her expectations are totally unrealistic. Let her read this thread to get a grasp on property value in manhattan.

best advice is finding a spot that has access to preferrably two subway lines w/i 10-15 min walking distance. Being reliant on one line exclusively will cause you headaches eventually (especially the L).

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Dont Sleep on Chinatown & Hell's Kitchen & Turtle Bay

This is perhaps the lamest, non-neighborhood in the city.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

NYC brokers are mad

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    craigslist.

this and also tell her to start checking the obituaries - grandfathered rent-controlled places are swell.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

I found my place in SF just by walking around and looking for rent signs. Don't neglect the foot traffic. I looked at dozens of places before finding one the I liked and where the landlord liked me. Pretty good price too. A few hundred dollars below market value.

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts

If she wants to live with roommates she can find something in any of those neighborhoods for $1100-$1500. She can find a 1-bedroom for that much in South Williamsburg.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    don't know if she's set on manhattan, but there's a room opening up in my house in cobble hill brooklyn. $800/month, 20 min from manhattan, large rooms, which is ridiculous for this neighborhood. tradeoff is 6 people live here, but it's split up on 3 floors, and everyone's chill. for the most part really quiet, and no one's ever really home anyway. pm me if interested. no brokers, no lease. i think the room will be open as of july 1st.

• sneakypsneakyp 202 Posts
    also, don't know how familiar she is with NY, but I'm not sure why she would want to live in any of the places mentioned. maybe the west village, but other than that i can't imagine paying anything to live in that area. right now in brooklyn i'm looking out my windows on some trees, the streets are quiet, and i can be in mid-town in 30 minutes if i wanted to.