6/9+ w e e k e n d d i g z

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    I've been bigging Tony for his for going on 2 years now. He'll be happy I got one.
    Good Records is ironing out every collection's wrinkles!

i got random hiphop 12s from Montclair,NJ, Detroit, St Louis and Philly. not too hot.
    also a TDS scratch reaction (double)

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    got these for 3 for a $1. very happy with the majestics.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    eBay schitt:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Kinda a slow week, Otis upgrade, original stax comp, Latimore with promo stuff, another Jimmy Smith to tick off, Milton Nascimento brazilian niceness, probably the best Sandy Nelson LP I've heard (which as we know isn't saying much).

• BeekBeek 146 Posts

"You Make Me Feel Like Dancing" is the joint, don't front

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    what it do with Jewish Soul Music?

As a man with a big nose, I'm intruiged.

• BeekBeek 146 Posts

Giora Feidman - Matchmaker's Dance

Note that this is from a different album (Haven't listened to that one I just bought yet). And I just chose the song at random, didn't really look for the best one. Anyway, it's from "Long Live Giora, His Clarinet and His Soul Music" and the rest of that album has the same sound.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Klezmer has been sorely lacking in the weekend finds arena.

Up next: klezmer LP's with R. Crumb covers!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

Giora Feidman - Matchmaker's Dance

Note that this is from a different album (Haven't listened to that one I just bought yet). And I just chose the song at random, didn't really look for the best one. Anyway, it's from "Long Live Giora, His Clarinet and His Soul Music" and the rest of that album has the same sound.
    Sounds like a terd. I'm biased, though. I got shunned from the Jewish side of the family because my mom baptised me.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    11 straight hours of digging on Friday. Many things were found. What, pray tell? The world may never know...

Creepy guy who decided to hang around our car in the McDonalds drive-thru at 6:30 in the morning

I hate digging through 45's

the infamous mr_chinn (who came up quite nicely that day)

I'll try to post an audio clip later.

• queequegqueequeg 65 Posts

Heard some Abner Jay the other week on a one man band's comp. Dude is funny and absolutely raaaaaw with the funky folk blues. When is he from? Records tough to come up on? Any recommendations specifically? Track I heard is "Bring It When You Come"- would love to know what LP that's off. Cool shit man

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    eBay schitt:

I like that Flamboyan alright but the latter selection is a terd.

• couple killer psych lps, big stack of 45s mostly decent soul, funk northern soul. nothing too raer. also nancy priddy 45, and 2 copies of a faine jade 45, got home and found a hairline crack in one. d'oh!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

haha, that private press expresso is a nice one! from menlo park. late 70s/early 80s prog/wank-worship galore. if anyone wants one holler.

im sorry... that record fucking sucks. its also beyond common.

total worth: half a piece of lint

well... at least they have fans.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

couple killer psych lps, big stack of 45s mostly decent soul, funk northern soul. nothing too raer. also nancy priddy 45, and 2 copies of a faine jade 45, got home and found a hairline crack in one. d'oh!

Did you score that Maranatha LP out in the wild??? Wow!!!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

C'mon man, that Pete Rodriguez record has at least three solid tracks on it which are far from terd. Listen to "Arranca en Fa" and tell me thats rat shit, no way. That's Orquesta Flamboyan's best album imo, although I haven't heard "Los Coquetones." Electric guitar and salsa? well, at least its better than Malo records...

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

haha, that private press expresso is a nice one! from menlo park. late 70s/early 80s prog/wank-worship galore. if anyone wants one holler.

i totally agree. but you can't hate on me trying to unload my copy!

and...they have fans?

• actually at a record store for $4, everything else out in the wild .20-2.00. i kinda feel bad, because its a record store i like and want to see have some success. next time i have any money to my name i'm gonna buy a bunch of stuff i don't really want or something.

couple killer psych lps, big stack of 45s mostly decent soul, funk northern soul. nothing too raer. also nancy priddy 45, and 2 copies of a faine jade 45, got home and found a hairline crack in one. d'oh!

Did you score that Maranatha LP out in the wild??? Wow!!!

i totally agree. but you can't hate on me trying to unload my copy!

and...they have fans?
    yeah that was my bad cuz... straight blocked a sale there for you. oops...

and i thought YOU were a fan by what you wrote... haha... guess i was wrong. i guess i was just shocked that someone actually liked that record.

i got that gloster LP from jesse which was cool. rev overstreet on arhoolie which is so dope to me. winstons LP for $3. anyone ever heard of frank ferrer on alhambra? cool mex(?) record from 74 with nice beats/drums and some cool tracks.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

C'mon man, that Pete Rodriguez record has at least three solid tracks on it which are far from terd. Listen to "Arranca en Fa" and tell me thats rat shit, no way. That's Orquesta Flamboyan's best album imo, although I haven't heard "Los Coquetones." Electric guitar and salsa? well, at least its better than Malo records...

dude I owned that record for years and it is completely forgettable. There are SO many better latin LPs out there.

You're right, that is the best Flamboyan I've heard, the electric guitars are a real nice touch.

And you are dead wrong about Malo!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

dude I owned that record for years and it is completely forgettable. There are SO many better latin LPs out there.

You're right, that is the best Flamboyan I've heard, the electric guitars are a real nice touch.

And you are dead wrong about Malo!

I've owned that record for years and I still play it every once in a while, not Pete's best but far from his worst. I do agree that there are A LOT of better latin records out there. As towards Malo, I wasn't disrespecting, I know you got love for "suavecito," still you know, a boriqua and a pachuco walk into a bar... frankie dante > jorge santana

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

anyone ever heard of frank ferrer on alhambra? cool mex(?) record from 74 with nice beats/drums and some cool tracks.

yeah, Ive had that for a hwile now as well.. its got some real solid funks on it. Been looking for more copies for 4+ years now, to no avail!

• boast1boast1 142 Posts
    roadtripped into wilmington nc this past weekend and came up with these.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Nice little haul! I like those gibbs LPs.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    the consequence for pressing the snooze button on your alarm clock one too many times on the morning of a record show is watching someone pull a minty o.g. copy of lee fields "let's talk it over" for $8 right in front of you.

anyway...

the come ups ($2 to $5)

the bargains (50% or more below market price)

the "f*ck it, at least i don't have to pay for shipping"

i hate you r****y

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts

...but if anyone is a fan and totally into that kind of tepidness, HOLLER!!

justin, thanks for the recommendation of the smoked sugar.

and p*t,

...but if anyone is a fan and totally into that kind of tepidness, HOLLER!!

justin, thanks for the recommendation of the smoked sugar.

and p*t,

pats just mad cause youre running his turf now... thats what happens when them lazy belmont salvadorians sleep in.

yeah rod that ssugar is dope. real solid LP. plus $15 was a good value.

today ive been listening to my little buys yesterday and am ashamed to say that i never really listened to:

the Impressions - finally got myself together
    willie hutch - mark of the beast
    ronnie dyson - one man band

and have to say that i like all of these. great soul music. i recommend on all of these pieces at the $20/25, $12/15, $10 range respectively. i didnt pay that but thats what i would pay if i had too. okay maybe less on the dyson but its still a good record.

yeah meatdiggity that ferrer is dope. i traded for a vg+ of the second 8th day lp. far better than their first in my opinion.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

shitzr,
    How's that All American Family? I was about to pick that up a couple of years ago but I got a prog record instead (oh well).

shitzr,

How's that All American Family? I was about to pick that up a couple of years ago but I got a prog record instead (oh well).

that records cool. nice soul piece like j5, sylvers, etc. whats this go for $40 or so? their 45s were common in chicago and the upper midwest area throughout the 90s but i dont know now. dont know what prog record you got or how good it was but if youre a soul dude then you missed out. tough LP to catch... how it got out here is a mystery to me. ive never seen their 45s or LP out here in the bay... maybe LA but not up here. that was a lucky diggin day for rodney.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

shitzr,

that records cool. nice soul piece like j5, sylvers, etc. whats this go for $40 or so? their 45s were common in chicago and the upper midwest area throughout the 90s but i dont know now. dont know what prog record you got or how good it was but if youre a soul dude then you missed out. tough LP to catch... how it got out here is a mystery to me. ive never seen their 45s or LP out here in the bay... maybe LA but not up here. that was a lucky diggin day for rodney.
    Thanks Justin.

When I had seen it for sale it was $50, so $40 sounds about right. I messed up for not getting that record because I don't see it turn up. Maybe if I go to NYC again (TSL, GRNYC, etc,.), then I'll get lucky.

The record that I got was actually Catch The Ball by Release Music Orchestra (which probably falls under the Kraut rock genre, but I digress).