X3: Last Stand Suckitude

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Ok, I'm a little late but this was the first night we were able to get a babysitter in a while.This movie was pretty good, I thought, for the first 2/3rds. Then nosedived like few other films I can think of. I mean, it went from "surprisingly good" to "unbelievably shitty" in the last 30 minutes or so.And moreover, as a fan of the comic, I'm hella annoyet at the liberties the writers took. I won't spoil shit (yet) but seriously, fuck that bullshit.

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I just saw it earlier this week and it was exactly what I was expecting. Maybe you need to lower your standards for Hollywood summer blockbusters?

Of course, I wouldn't have even noticed the major discontinuity late in the film, had someone not pointed it out to me, where it goes from day to night in a matter of seconds.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I just saw it earlier this week and it was exactly what I was expecting. Maybe you need to lower your standards for Hollywood summer blockbusters?

Of course, I wouldn't have even noticed the major discontinuity late in the film, had someone not pointed it out to me, where it goes from day to night in a matter of seconds.

Naw man - I LIKE big popcorn films. Seriously, I do. But one can have standards even for those. Example: I'm watching HBO right now and both "Batman" and "Independence Day" are on - both are examples of "junky" blockbuster films that were actually, quite good despite whatever inherent limitations might have existed. Sure, "ID4" was derivitive of about a zillion different sci-fi films (which I think was the point) and it's hokey but all in all, I always found the film to be rather satisfying even if it's not exactly "Citizen Kane."

But man, X3 took a ridiculous nosedive on multiple levels...it's like the screenwriters had painted themselves into a corner and panicked. Makes me appreciate "X2" so much better. Shit, even "Batman Begins" is looking pretty good to me too (though Katie Holmes is unredeemable).

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

Juggernaut Bitch!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Odub, I think you expressed similar sentiments I had for the same reason:

They tried to pack wayyyyy too much shit in 90 minutes.

In the beginning, when all these great storylines are taking off you're like "holy shit! oh no they didn't.... OH SNAP THEY DID!... AND AGAIN!"

but then they have to wrap it all up in like 4 and a half minutes.

It's like making out with a girl for an hour, then busting a nut after 20 seconds of sex.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    Everyone i know says the best thing about the entire movie is when the juggernaut says 'bitch'.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Ok, I'm a little late but this was the first night we were able to get a babysitter in a while.

This movie was pretty good, I thought, for the first 2/3rds. Then nosedived like few other films I can think of. I mean, it went from "surprisingly good" to "unbelievably shitty" in the last 30 minutes or so.

And moreover, as a fan of the comic, I'm hella annoyet at the liberties the writers took. I won't spoil shit (yet) but seriously, fuck that bullshit.

sorry, O, no sympathy here! you went to a shitty movie and it sucked. honestly what were you expecting?

i don't even think i ever saw Xmen 2 because 1 was so . should i rent that? looks like a terd.

fuck a $10.50 terd.

yours,

cranky-ass studying at home on Fri night

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    What exactly pissed you off about it?

The only things that I didn't like were,

This Dude.

#2 They turned Marrow into a guy.

Clip

#3 The way they made FULL iceman look. BOO.

#4 They never acknowledge that Cain Marko is the stepbrother of Charles Xavier.

#5 Substituting Jubilee with Kitty pride. Lame.

#6 Rogue jealousy subplot. Lame.

#7 I'd like to reiterate how much I hated these characters. PLEASE don't tell me that asian girl is supposed to be Psylocke.

That's enough rambling for now. The spiderman series is so much worse then the Xmen right now. I feel bad that kids of this generation have to suffer such derivative confused storylines.

- spidey

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

For those of you who forgot. This is what the Xmen is suppose to look like.

- spidey

Rootless,

Rent X2. It will be worth it. It's much, much, much better than 1. Like "Spiderman 2" was better than "Spiderman 1" better. Seriously.

Going to go see "Da Vinci Code" and being disappointed is a fool's errand. I actually went into X3 thinking it was going to suck based on the reviews but for the first 2/3rds, I was genuinely thinking, "wow, this isn't that bad at all." Then the hammer dropped.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I wasn't realy that entertained for most of the movie. It wasn't bad, but I didn't really care about anything. The end battle seen though was utter ridiculousness.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    for the first 2/3rds, I was genuinely thinking, "wow, this isn't that bad at all." Then the hammer dropped.

See, that's my point. Go in with low expectations and keep them low!

for the first 2/3rds, I was genuinely thinking, "wow, this isn't that bad at all." Then the hammer dropped.

See, that's my point. Go in with low expectations and keep them low!

Let's put it this way, my kid who is a 7 year old boy wasn't even that impressed with this movie.

I wasn't realy that entertained for most of the movie. It wasn't bad, but I didn't really care about anything. The end battle seen though was utter ridiculousness.

The end battle was pretty wack especially given some straight up illogical points. SPOILERS!!!!

Look, the real Dark Phoenix would have vaporized the entire Bay Area with a thought - I mean, she eats stars for breakfast, right? I can appreciate that they lowered her potential a bit for the movie, simplified it and what not. But while I admit, it was quite the spectacle to see Magneto uproot the Golden Gate Bridge, it seems kind of dumb that someone that powerful would need to move a bridge just to destroy a building. I mean, dude could have simply DROPPED the bridge onto the lab building. Or, as I just noted, asked the Phoenix to do him a solid and just psionically destroy that motherfucker. Instead, he sends the pseudo-morlocks into battle? Made no sense, whatsoever.

Speaking of the Phoenix - having Logan kill her - even at her behest - was pretty lame too. At least the original Dark Phoenix had the presence of mind to kill herself, a far more tragic and noble act than having to send in Wolverine to do it. Don't even get me started with the plot gaps necessary to have even bring her back to begin with. Don't even get me started with the fact that she kills Scott Summers. That's like Lois Lane homiciding Superman. I mean, gimme a fucking break. I know it's a movie adaptation but that shit was a huge slap in the face of anyone who's ever read the X-Men. Jean and Scott are one some long-suffering Mary Jane/Peter Parker shit - they don't kill each other (especially given who their kids were supposed to grow up to be. But that's some other shit).

I also agree with Malus - there were all kinds of stupidness involved in other parts of the adaptation. Rogue's character has been entirely out of whack with how she was conceived in the comics. She's supposed to be strong and sassy, not some whiny, insecure teen who doesn't think she can keep her man. Jesus, where the fuck is Gambit when you need him. At least Juggernaught was an inspired casting choice and a solid character to bring in. Too bad Callisto was utterly unlike the real deal (uh, I didn't realize she was like the female Flash). I didn't mind Kitty Pryde. Better her than Jubilee with her "plasma balls." Colussus was way under-utilized btw. And uh, what happened to Nightcrawler? Alan Cummings not on contract?

Just for some perspective - it's not like I really give a damn that badly. But man, I'm tired of wack blockbuster films. Here's hoping "Superman Returns" and "Pirates of the Caribbean 2" aren't lame as fuck too.

Oh yeah, and based on the trailer? It's all about "Nacho Libre." Jack Black =

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    You guys didnt like the last spiderman flick either?

You dudes just hate everything. Im still gonna go see this shit.

Nah, they said Spidey 2 was good.

Reading glasses B-sides...I LIKED the last Spidey film. I did, however, think the first one underperformed. I am looking forward to the 3rd film.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Oliver, was X2 really that good? I think I'm going to have to revisit it. All that Stryker stuff bothered me. At least X3 kept things moving and didn't get bogged down too much. Brett Ratner needs to remember to hire better scriptwriters. Every line in the non-action moments was super cliche, ugh.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    was X2 really that good? I think I'm going to have to revisit it.

I had to revist X2 just to remove the bad taste in my mouth. The writing and pacing was leaps ahead.

X3's action trumps 1 & 2 though.

Dont get my fires started on this last installment. I left w/ a serious case of IndigoNutz

Oliver, was X2 really that good? I think I'm going to have to revisit it. All that Stryker stuff bothered me. At least X3 kept things moving and didn't get bogged down too much. Brett Ratner needs to remember to hire better scriptwriters. Every line in the non-action moments was super cliche, ugh.

Ratner needs to stop making movies.

Rush Hour 3 (2007) (pre-production)
    Josiah's Canon (2007) (pre-production)
    X-Men: The Last Stand (2006)
    After the Sunset (2004)
    Red Dragon (2002)
    Rush Hour 2 (2001)
    The Family Man (2000)
    Rush Hour (1998)
    Money Talks (1997)

That says it all.

And yeah, "X2" was solid as an actoin flick and I don't think it offended X-Men fans. It opens with a bang, takes a momentary lull then springs back into action again with the invasion of the mansion, then takes a really long lull before heading into the finale. The action choreography is MUCH better than it was in X3 as well.

It's not that I think "X2" was flawless but it was a marked improvement over the first installment.

Speaking of the Phoenix - having Logan kill her - even at her behest - was pretty lame too. At least the original Dark Phoenix had the presence of mind to kill herself, a far more tragic and noble act than having to send in Wolverine to do it. Don't even get me started with the plot gaps necessary to have even bring her back to begin with. Don't even get me started with the fact that she kills Scott Summers. That's like Lois Lane homiciding Superman. I mean, gimme a fucking break. I know it's a movie adaptation but that shit was a huge slap in the face of anyone who's ever read the X-Men. Jean and Scott are one some long-suffering Mary Jane/Peter Parker shit - they don't kill each other (especially given who their kids were supposed to grow up to be. But that's some other shit).

Her "climax" scene didnt outdo Magneto's Golden gate Bridge scene. If she's so damn powerful, let her get loose. Alcatraz shoulda been out of the Bay. WTF. This is PHOENIX/DARKPHOENIX were talkin 'bout.
    Pleaese do more than disintegrate some faceless soldiers. ugh!

Her "climax" scene didnt outdo Magneto's Golden gate Bridge scene. If she's so damn powerful, let her get loose. Alcatraz shoulda been out of the Bay. WTF. This is PHOENIX/DARKPHOENIX were talkin 'bout.
    Pleaese do more than disintegrate some faceless soldiers. ugh!

I'm saying. I think the movie would have been much better if they had just left her under the lake. They could have brought her back for X-Men 4, though, apparently it's going to be kind of hard to do that not that (SPOILERS)...

THREE of the prinicipals are presumed dead. Ridiculous.

U know she put Scott in the cocoon under Alkalai Lake.

Ha - I'd LOVE to see them try to explain that shit in a movie. "Well, see...the Phoenix Force is actually this elemental force that exists before Time and Jean is its avatar but the Jean you thought was Jean was actually an alien clone while the real Jean is in the cocoon with Scott, recuperating." I mean, that shit was rather beyond disbelief in the comics...(let's not even get into Madeleine Pryor, Rachel Summer/Grey, Cable, Nate, Strife, or Mr. Sinister), I can't see how a screenwriter could figure out how to work that shit out.

Ha - I'd LOVE to see them try to explain that shit in a movie. "Well, see...the Phoenix Force is actually this elemental force that exists before Time and Jean is its avatar but the Jean you thought was Jean was actually an alien clone while the real Jean is in the cocoon with Scott, recuperating." I mean, that shit was rather beyond disbelief in the comics...(let's not even get into Madeleine Pryor, Rachel Summer/Grey, Cable, Nate, Strife, or Mr. Sinister), I can't see how a screenwriter could figure out how to work that shit out.

LOL.

Theyve already opened that can of worms.
    John Byrne pulled that ressurection story from deep out of his ass.

LOL.

Theyve already opened that can of worms.
    John Byrne pulled that ressurection story from deep out of his ass.

Real deep. Deeper than deep. And speaking of which..."The White Hot Room"? WTF?

And speaking of which..."The White Hot Room"? WTF?

U mean tha "Danger Room"?

Naw - the White Hot Room is where Jean Grey is currently chilling, waiting to be - presumably - resurrected for the umpteenth time.

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Phoenix_Force

Naw - the White Hot Room is where Jean Grey is currently chilling, waiting to be - presumably - resurrected for the umpteenth time.

http://www.marvel.com/universe/Phoenix_Force

Truthfully, I left the XMEN around 98/99. I couldnt get with all the various spinoff books. Generation X was the last of them I read. Now Wolverine is in the Avengers along w/ Spiderman.

But dont sleep on the new CIVIL WAR story..............so far its....