my dog is chewing on the floor

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
the hardwood floor. what the fuck is she trying to do? pull up nails? eat the shellac? then the other today she was digging at the grout between tiles in the bathroom. craziness.damn. not good

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    maybe one of his teeth is bothering him

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    is she a puppy? does she have chew toys and shit? you might want to try chasing her around, wrestling with her, playing tug of war, etc. Just make sure she doesn't learn to associate chewing on the floor with getting attention!

Our neighbor's dog (a lab) chewed the shit out of their hardwood floors, but he grew out of it.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    She could be trying to sharpen her teeth as well, but either shabadoo's idea or mine is plausible.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    is she a puppy? does she have chew toys and shit? you might want to try chasing her around, wrestling with her, playing tug of war, etc. Just make sure she doesn't learn to associate chewing on the floor with getting attention!

Our neighbor's dog (a lab) chewed the shit out of their hardwood floors, but he grew out of it.

she's 8 months old. huge, but the mind of a puppy. she has so may chew toys and bones etc. a big yard to run in. i take her to the large park in our hood twice a day.

she's a good girl otherwise. 1/2 lab/german shepard

• Keep her away from your records..

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

I love the thought process in evidence here.

"Wow, my dog is really tearing up my Nico Gomez and Doris records. I should probably stop her. Nah, I'll take a picture instead!"

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    my dog used to eat the floorboard out from around the base of the toilet.

they got some spray i think, it makes everything taste like shit.

i don't know man, they grow out of it. that's all the advice i got.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    the hardwood floor.

what the fuck is she trying to do? pull up nails? eat the shellac? then the other today she was digging at the grout between tiles in the bathroom. craziness.

damn. not good

Could be puppy stuff, but it could also be separation anxiety, not uncommon for dogs to chew up wood and stuff when they are freaking out.

Either way, I need to pics of this puppy to give any real advice

• chungtechchungtech 290 Posts

WAAA THAT PHOTO MADE MY DAY!
    IS THAT YOUR DOG OR RANDOM DOGG?

I have no idea why a dog would chew up a hardwood floor, but then again that's why I love 'em. Hella random!

• the best remedy for dog misbehavior i've found is to just take the dog somewhere on a regular basis where it can run free until it's tired.. worked with my once-spaztic hound. now, at home he just chills most of the time. once i see him getting kind of wound up, i know it's time to take him somewhere on a long walk.

but, i'm not sure what your living situation is. i'm lucky to have redwood groves 10 minutes from my pad here in the O.

• chungtechchungtech 290 Posts
    the best remedy for dog misbehavior i've found is to just take the dog somewhere on a regular basis where it can run free until it's tired.. worked with my once-spaztic hound. now, at home he just chills most of the time. once i see him getting kind of wound up, i know it's time to take him somewhere on a long walk.

but, i'm not sure what your living situation is. i'm lucky to have redwood groves 10 minutes from my pad here in the O.

turns out this remedy also works for boyfriend misbehavior and general cabin fever restlessness. got him a pair of for his birthday (to run around in, not to chew on), told him to take his soccer ball and go run around the park for some futbol action!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I remember our dog ripping up the lino with it's teeth trying to get to the mice that lived under the floor. Dog also chewed the cover of my SNFU - If You Swear You Won't Catch Any Fish LP, it practically had no bottom left corner afterwards, strange thing is I still have the cover but not the LP???

• tjamestjames 156 Posts
    To keep his dog mentally stimulated while he's away a friend of mine comes up with ways to hide frozen dog-food and in the dogs toys.

tjames

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    my dog used to eat the floorboard out from around the base of the toilet.

they got some spray i think, it makes everything taste like shit.

This reminds of a friend of mine who got two puppies at the same time, a Boston Terrier and a miniature Dachsund. The Boston had a disgusting habit of eating the Dachsund's terds, so their vet recommended feeding the Dachsund special pills.

Vet: "They make the dog's feces taste bad, so the Boston won't want to eat them."

My Friend: "Huh...will it make them taste like shit? Because she already eats shit."