DJaying your own party (tips/suggestions wanted)

TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
I just decided that I should throw a party next week. My place isn???t that big, it???s just a 2 bedroom apartment. the party has a few places for people to hang out: the kitchen/back poarch area, the family room/my bedroom area (where the music will be), and out my window 4 or 5 people can hang out on my neighbors roof. Usually I don???t have more than 6 people hanging out at a time, if 15 or 20 people are in that place it will be pretty packed. I???ve been telling lots of friends so it could get crazy if just a fraction of them show up. I think drunk people packed in a small place with loud music is a good time. I just need to get everyone drunk. I???m going to not buy any groceries and empty out my fridge to make room for cheap beer. On top of hosting the party I???m planning on DJaying it. This should be fun because all of my records will be around me so I can play anything in my collection (I just need to do some organizing). I???m also going to hook up my laptop to my mixer with a few play lists for when I want to take breaks, or need to hit the dance floor myself. So far I got a ???party??? playlist and an ???early cool out??? playlist..I???m just making this post to see if there is anything that I might not be thinking about, This will be the first party I???ve thrown at my own place, I used to think it???s too small throw a party, now I don???t care and I???m going to go for it. So far here is what im planning on doing-hiding/moving anything that I don???t want broken/stolen (it will be mostly my close friends so I???m not too worried about the stolen aspect of things, but it's a party and who knows who will show up)-moving couches/coffee table out of the way to make room for dancing-new trash bags in all trash cans, signs directing people to the recycling bin -making a bathroom mix CD to put on repeat , complete with voiceovers by myself welcoming people to my party and giving them fun facts about my apartment. -when it???s time for people to go I think I???ll just put Shanice???s ??? ???I like your smile??? on repeat the first time it will bring people down so they arnt so agro when they leave my party, after the 2nd or 3rd time they will get the hint that the party is done and start saying their goodbyes. If that doesn???t work it???s going to be the Kidz Bob version of ???float on???. Or maybe ???lovers and friends??? if you want a better mentail image of the "party area" here is the main room that i will clear out to make room for a dance floor. i'll be DJaying in that next room.

Comments

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    just one tip - if you've got a mate who can dj get them to bring along some records, you'll enjoy the evenign a whole lot more if someone else can step in, and possibly step it up, for an hour or two

• TheBeatGoesTheBeatGoes 711 Posts
    just one tip - if you've got a mate who can dj get them to bring along some records, you'll enjoy the evenign a whole lot more if someone else can step in, and possibly step it up, for an hour or two

i'm going to make iTunes the other DJ, the only other DJ friend that i'd fully trust to rock my party lives in another town, maybe i can see if he wants to come to town a day early cause our regular dance night is the day after.

also i forgot to say that this will be a HAIR CUT PARTY. Everyone who comes will be strongly encouraged to cut someone elses hair, and let someone else give them a haircut. I like the idea of a bunch of people all getting stupid haircuts at the same time.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts

like i said, it's gonna be a haircut party

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

i'm going to make iTunes the other DJ, the only other DJ friend that i'd fully trust to rock my party lives in another town, maybe i can see if he wants to come to town a day early cause our regular dance night is the day after.

also i forgot to say that this will be a HAIR CUT PARTY. Everyone who comes will be strongly encouraged to cut someone elses hair, and let someone else give them a haircut. I like the idea of a bunch of people all getting stupid haircuts at the same time.

wow. that sounds like a nightmare. Drunk people and sciccors. Great idea.

man, have you ever been to a party before?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

This sounds like a hipster thing to do.

This sounds like a hipster thing to do.

Believe me, there are no hipsters in Appalachia. Even the ???hipsters??? aren???t really hipsters by the standards of any big city. And wouldn???t hipsters be opposed to having drunk people cut their hair cause they care about their outward appearance too much to allow that to happen?

And yes I???ve been to plenty of parties, just thought it would be fun to do a party post that deals with the challenges of having a small place. If soul strut disagrees or wants to take this tread elsewhere than fine I???ll just let it die.

So, lets try to get this thing on track, or let it sink to page 2 and beyond.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Dude, you are gonna have to clean up nast hair from all over your crib.