NYT on Fania

kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
There's a decent article on the Fania catalogue being reissued in the Times today (including the fact that the master tapes were languishing in a warehouse in Hudson, NY, where I lived for a time. Doh! That would have been a nice score.) The Return Of Fania

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I just saw an adverstisement for the re-issues. I wonder who chooses what gets remastered and what doesnt. Sales vs. cult/word of mouth.

• I also just realized, the article talks about Mongo Santamaria and Eddie Palmieri's work for the label, but I can't think of anything they did for Fania-proper besides maybe some guest work for the Fania All Stars. Are they just conflating Alegre, Cotique, etc. since Fania bought them out later on?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Seems like it, since they have an Alegre cover pictured right
    at the top of the article.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

They are using "Fania" to refer to the half-dozen or so labels that J. Masucci eventually came to control--I guess all of those catalogs were part of the deal.

The recordings include a remarkable album by the eccentric vocalist La Lupe, singing torchy boleros with string orchestra accompaniment...

I am paralyzed with anticipation.

• I also just realized, the article talks about Mongo Santamaria and Eddie Palmieri's work for the label, but I can't think of anything they did for Fania-proper besides maybe some guest work for the Fania All Stars. Are they just conflating Alegre, Cotique, etc. since Fania bought them out later on?

I also just realized, the article talks about Mongo Santamaria and Eddie Palmieri's work for the label, but I can't think of anything they did for Fania-proper besides maybe some guest work for the Fania All Stars. Are they just conflating Alegre, Cotique, etc. since Fania bought them out later on?

Monguito Santamaria is Mongo Santamaria's son (not to be confused with vocalist Monguito el Unico, who also recorded for Fania)

To younger Latinos enamored of today's Fania equivalent, reggaet??n, these old albums will doubtless sound old-fashioned. But music this rhythmically tough could never be dowdy. It's late-20th-century music ready to ignite 21st-century dance floors.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    today's Fania equivalent, reggaet??n

See, I never knew "reggaet??n" was a record label - I thought
    it was just the style of music.
    You really do learn something new everyday.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    have any of you checked out those fania dvd's? I have "Our Latin Thing" but there are two other ones on the market, "Fania all-stars in Africa" and another one that I can't quite recall.

today's Fania equivalent, reggaet??n

See, I never knew "reggaet??n" was a record label - I thought
    it was just the style of music.
    You really do learn something new everyday.

LOL

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

They are using "Fania" to refer to the half-dozen or so labels that J. Masucci eventually came to control--I guess all of those catalogs were part of the deal.

True but still, a bit of a "miss" for the photo editor (especially since you can actually make out the Allegre logo in the photo). I'm just jealous Jody got Emusica to send him the whole first wave of reissues.