Questton about artists share

planeteuropeplaneteurope 56 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
When a mayor label sells a cd for, lets say 15 $, how much does the artist get? (in average) How much would he get on a smal indie label? Need that infos for a discussion, if possible with sources.Thanks a lot

Comments

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    On a major, usually 12 to 18% of retail price, with all sorts of deductions for mid-price records, sale out of territory, etc. This is post-recoupment of course.

On an indy, it can be the same as above, usually (but not always) with a the percentage leaning to the higher end of the scale, or you run into deals that are 50/50 after the label grabs their costs out of the Gross. The downside to these deals is that they usually forgo mechanicals, meaning that if you don't recoup you don't see shit. It ends up being about the same.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts
    Also, in Europe the calculation is often made out of PPD or "Published Price to Dealers", instead of retail price. As such, when encountering a PPD situation you want to push the points that you request upwards. I'm sure there's alot of "experts" on here who will want to weigh in on this and tell you what their mother's cousin's sister's uncle who had a record deal once got, but these are pretty much the standard formulations, without getting into arcane specifics.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    Also, in Europe the calculation is often made out of PPD or "Published Price to Dealers", instead of retail price. As such, when encountering a PPD situation you want to push the points that you request upwards. I'm sure there's alot of "experts" on here who will want to weigh in on this and tell you what their mother's cousin's sister's uncle who had a record deal once got, but these are pretty much the standard formulations, without getting into arcane specifics.

Son you're wrong. I get hella paid in Europe for my house records. I only take pounds.

• UMADUMAD 187 Posts

Son you're wrong. I get hella paid in Europe for my house records. I only take pounds.

You're following in the footsteps of your [email]g@y[/email] m#nt$r!