Re: LP's recorded by INMATES?

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
- the Power of Attorney (prison-bound funk band, one LP on Polydor ca. 1974)- Glen Sherley (country singer on lockdown with one 1971 album on Mega, actually recorded live in prison - Johnny Cash actually recorded one of Sherley's songs, "Greystone Chapel," a few years prior)- Charles Lee Guy III (one early sixties album on Capitol)- Lifers' Group (behind-bars rap group, from late 60's or early 70's)...and I know you asked for LP's, but at least one 45 is worth mentioning: Lucky & the Fellows'"Jail Soul" (parts one and two) on Dean, which is poorly-recorded penitentiary funk live at Cook County Jail (the horn section is louder than everybody else!)
I also remember a soul group with an album titled something like Three Down, One To Go, but I can't recall the group's name.
See Motown's accidental thread for the answer to that one!

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    damn, same thing happened to motown happened to me! WTF, indeed!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    there was a thread on this a few months ago. do a search doggie.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    - Lifers' Group (behind-bars rap group, from late 60's or early 70's)

hmmm the Lifers Group (Hollywood Basic Record Label) were from the late 60's or early 70's..... i could have sworn they were from the early 90's (hip hop) but I have been wrong before.

- Lifers' Group (behind-bars rap group, from late 60's or early 70's)

hmmm the Lifers Group (Hollywood Basic Record Label) were from the late 60's or early 70's..... i could have sworn they were from the early 90's (hip hop) but I have been wrong before.

naw, youre right, its just that my mind was elsewhere when I wrote those dates!

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts

...and I know you asked for LP's, but at least one 45 is worth mentioning: Lucky & the Fellows'"Jail Soul" (parts one and two) on Dean, which is poorly-recorded penitentiary funk live at Cook County Jail (the horn section is louder than everybody else!)

Isn't it Lucky & the Family? Porter? One of the few owners of that record in the world?

Don't forget the Third Generation on the label Prison Soul, funk and psychedelic soul recorded by prisoners in Georgia.

• groove70sgroove70s 168 Posts

Ike White - Changin' times (LAX)

• Ike White - Changin' times (LAX)

I have a sealed copy of this, should I open it or re-sell?

...and I know you asked for LP's, but at least one 45 is worth mentioning: Lucky & the Fellows'"Jail Soul" (parts one and two) on Dean, which is poorly-recorded penitentiary funk live at Cook County Jail (the horn section is louder than everybody else!)

Isn't it Lucky & the Family? Porter? One of the few owners of that record in the world?

well, like i heard a St. Louis R&B deejay once say: "this new hair grease I've been using has made everything slip my mind!" or something like that. yeah, its lucky & the family.