Post-1985 jazz LP's that don't suck

roistoroisto 879 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Found this yesterday, and it's very good Coltrane-ish jazz from 1986, on a private label:What else should I be czeching?

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    This album by David Sanchez is fantastic Afro-Caribbean jazz, very influenced by Dizzy Gillespie (who was a mentor to Sanchez). Also, Danilio Perez plays piano here, and sounds even better on this record than I've heard him sound since.

Definitely worth checking out.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Roisto I have a colleague who is all about current jazz releases that are great. I'll see if I can get him to email me a list.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    This is pretty solid vocal jazz on the dancefloor tip from 1987, but it sounds like it could be from 1976. Rare, Toronto business. I'll definitely be playing it on the show, for what that's worth.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Roisto I have a colleague who is all about current jazz releases that are great. I'll see if I can get him to email me a list.

I need more current releases in my life. Let me know what's up to. I'll send you Tarika Blue as thanks.

• JBCJBC 25 Posts
    After seeing Courtney Pine mentioned, I've gotta ask, what do people think of Soweto Kinch? Has anyone outside of the UK heard of him?

He's kinda seen as the new Courtney Pine in the media when he's mentioned, a black guy mixing jazz with hip hop. He runs a freestyle battle night with a live band here in Birmingham. You'd think it would be shit, but it's actually quite good - he does a thing where he records sax licks into a pedal, loops them up, beatboxes, loops that up, then rhymes over it, it's sick...

But I've never bought his releases, are they any good?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I also recently got a 1987 release from a Dominican artist that, while not jazz exactly is very good. I'll try to dig it out in a few and post info.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Wynton Marsalis - Majesty of the Blues

Its on vinyl as well.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

Cassandra Wilson - Travellin' Miles - Double LP.

• I forget which one of the Dresw's posted it up but there was a jazz vibraphone track put in one of the "post a song youre feelin'" threads. The artist was a woman and it was recorded in 1985.

someone please help me out here

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts

This is very refreshing,not to mention the drummer Ari Hoenig(a Philly native)is one of the sickest jazz drummers I've ever heard.This dude is a freaking maniac.

• "Music Came" is

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    a few off the top of my head:

• KinoKino 17 Posts

Released in '91, Ask the Ages is one of my top ten albums of all time. Featuring Sonny Sharrock, Pharoah Sanders, Elvin Jones, and Charnett Moffett. This album smokes. It's out of print and sadly I've only ever seen it on cd or cassette.

• Ask the Ages is one of my top ten albums of all time

YESSSS!!!

this is a good one too....steve turre-rhythm within- 1995

• Does TJ Kirk or Charlie Hunter Suck? If not, I vote for him.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Andy Bey - Blues, Ballads and Bey
    Courtney Pine - Modern Day Jazz Stories
    Carmen McRae - Sings Monk
    Kurt Elling - Man In The Air (this is in my top 30 of all time)
    Marc Johnson - Shades Of Jade

Kurt Elling - Man In The Air

Cosign

Resolution =

Why Jazz after 1985? Is there some invisible cut-off point that I'm missing?

• oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
    Here's a few