Just Starting...

NativetonguesNativetongues 55 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Hey guys, im pretty new to all thisIm only 15, so all thats really available to me is Goodwill and yard salesSo i was wondering if you guys have any tips for someone just getting startedOne questions, do you guys know about all the records you get before you buy them?Because i see alot of records on here that look very obscureAnd if you dont, what do you do with all the records that turn out terrible?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    what do you do with all the records that turn out terrible?

A. put them on eBay with recordkingz style descriptions and a clip of the only good 30 seconds on the lp

B. re-donate them

pretty simple, actually.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Hey guys, im pretty new to all this
    Im only 15, so all thats really available to me is Goodwill and yard sales

So i was wondering if you guys have any tips for someone just getting started
    One questions, do you guys know about all the records you get before you buy them?
    Because i see alot of records on here that look very obscure
    And if you dont, what do you do with all the records that turn out terrible?

Maybe so, maybe no...and that's one of the best parts about it. If you're just starting out, I'd try to figure out what "your sound" is and once you identify it, just roll and see where it takes you.

If you stick around here, you'll learn a lot.

Oh, and if you don't end up liking the record(s), sell them on eBay.

Welcome to the board!

• mr_chinnmr_chinn 89 Posts
    Hey guys, im pretty new to all this
    Im only 15, so all thats really available to me is Goodwill and yard sales

So i was wondering if you guys have any tips for someone just getting started
    One questions, do you guys know about all the records you get before you buy them?
    Because i see alot of records on here that look very obscure
    And if you dont, what do you do with all the records that turn out terrible?

Maybe so, maybe no...and that's one of the best parts about it. If you're just starting out, I'd try to figure out what "your sound" is and once you identify it, just roll and see where it takes you.

If you stick around here, you'll learn a lot.

Oh, and if you don't end up liking the record(s), sell them on eBay.

Welcome to the board!

whatever you do...dont post any scans if you know whats good for ya ..take it from me.... you ever hear of tony rizzi???? j/k ; )

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Welcome to the board, Nativetongues.
    I'd say to you when listening to new music try to ignore any prejudice you may have towards it, and see if you dig what you're listening to or not.
    When finding a record you really like, look for other records where the musicians and/or producer have participation.
    Names are not all you must pay attention and some covers will fool you, though.

Peace

Other things you'll learn to pay attention to:

Lable
    Year
    Instruments
    Producer/Arranger
    City of origin

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    You can always read a lot:

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/

And start with the basics. There's a lot of great Soul albums out there for cheap for example, lots of Motown stuff, etc. James Brown is a beginning for Funk and is usually easily found in record stores as well. Sly Stone, etc.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    also, if you want some quick info on a group you can try:

allmusic.com

their discographies are usually horrible because they list a lot of records by their re-issue labels and dates, which throws everything off, but they do cover a lot of basic material.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Start with the basics is a really good idea. I slept on a LOT of well known albums when I started out because I wanted to find obscure stuff (which I didn't anyway).

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    You can always read a lot:

http://www.soulstrut.com/reviews/

And start with the basics. There's a lot of great Soul albums out there for cheap for example, lots of Motown stuff, etc. James Brown is a beginning for Funk and is usually easily found in record stores as well. Sly Stone, etc.

Cosign! The cassics aren't classics without a reason.
    In the beginning it may take some time for you to find your own style, but after you've tried out some records you'll develop an instinct for records you may like.
    Sell the ones you don't like at ebay. there are (almost) always potential buyers.

Oh, and welcome to the board!

• Thanks all you guys
    Ill try to stick around
    Though sometimes its hard to post when you have no idea what youre talking about

• This is like the most positive thread ever.

• Thanks all you guys
    Ill try to stick around
    Though sometimes its hard to post when you have no idea what youre talking about

dude i was a little hesitant at first( i thought maybe the board was full of elitist assholes)but then i realized that besides a few harmless jokes everyone on here is really helpful and cool wheather you been in the diggin game for a minute or your still thinkin about copping that leo sayer joint at the salvation army but really,theres some serious knowledge being dropped on this shit so stick around

• Options
    When you do find something you like, don't hesitate to tell us and maybe we can't point you in other directions. Getting into local stuff is a great suggestion.

Specialized K.

Thanks all you guys
    Ill try to stick around

Just take one thing at a time.

What kinds of music do you like?

Soul? Jazz? Funk? Hip-hop?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    What to avoid:

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    What to avoid:

I hope that tom scott wasnt in the "raer" box

• something about the guy in this picture just bugs the hell out of me...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    something about the guy in this picture just bugs the hell out of me...

if i was the dealer:

"No records for you!"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

if i was the dealer:

"No records for All my tepid smooth jazz with braeks are for you!"

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts

no!

my advice to you would be make friends with the $1 bins, and don't be afraid to take chances! Too many kids these days growing up with the internet and filesharing programs and shit are afraid to check something out unless they've heard the mp3s beforehand. Even if something you buy is a terd that's still something you've learned.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Welcome to the board.

My advice would be to look for popular, big name artists & try not to think about raer too much at the start. Look for James Brown, Marvin Gaye, Aretha, etc...Take note of the labels that make music you like. I used to look for records on Cadet/Chess, CTI, Impulse, People. If you get familar with records like those, they'll help you appriciate the raer stuff later. The record review section here is really cool. Also hit up soulseek. You can hear a wide variety of music there.

peace

h