MARVEL ATTACKS!

2»

Comments

• snosno 332 Posts

any other comics you guys wanna see on film?

although it's not MARVEL... i'd really like to see a movie based on the [Vertigo Comics] SANDMAN character of DEATH. that was a cool mini series that i kinda dug back in the day and would make a decent movie. i imagine it being done in a richard linklater style (laid back with lot of converstaion & such).

Oh yes...is it about the one Death trying to convince a Kurt Cobain lookalike teenager not to kill himself?

The one comics I would like to see on film is Deathblow. It has an interesting premise but nothing else: the visual's biting Frank Miller Sin City Big time, the brooding monologues' way too Spawn-like, and the armageddon theme is a bit outdated. Possibly the only thing I like about it is its theme about a terminally ill soldier trying to make peace with himself. The ending is not a good look (the deux ex machina at the end kinda reminds me of Stephen Chau's God of Cookery). Despite all that, I think it would make a good movie, I mean, why adapt a well-written comics when one can improve a mediocre one on the silver screen???

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    there's been a script for this for at least 12 years.....

THE WATCHMEN

Call me a pessimist, but there is nooooo waaaay that they could make a movie that will do this novel justice. I don't care who the director and stars are, the only way something halfway decent could come out of that is if they make an arthouse downer that no one will want to see. Plus, Regan era insecurity is so quaint in this era of Bush insecurity, they would probably update the themes which will screw it up, big time.

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    I just want a good Punisher movie.

Yeah, definetely bring on The Punisher. But make it with no added Hollywood saccharine or don't even bother.

I've never seen the '89 Dolph L version, but I could imagine it was dewdoo.

Actually, it was good in the sense that it was really, really bad.

'89 Dolph version is crap, but amazingly it was outcrapped by the '04 Punisher debacle.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

THE WATCHMEN

Call me a pessimist, but there is nooooo waaaay that they could make a movie that will do this novel justice. I don't care who the director and stars are, the only way something halfway decent could come out of that is if they make an arthouse downer that no one will want to see. Plus, Regan era insecurity is so quaint in this era of Bush insecurity, they would probably update the themes which will screw it up, big time.

You're not a pessimist and no, there's no way a film version of this could possibly live up to the greatness of the graphic novel. I think that's one reason it hasn't seen the light of day.

Some books/comics/whatever do not need to become movies.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts
    I think Nic Cage will make for a great Johnny Blaze.
    He's certainly got that whole tortured-soul thing down.
    Not to mention he's someone who obviously takes the comic book medium seriously.
    Just look at money's name for starters.
    AND did anyone notice the ORIGINAL horse-riding Ghost Rider in the trailer??!
    Nice touch.
    + Sam Elliot is

• DJAckDJAck 255 Posts
    I think Nic Cage will make for a great Johnny Blaze.
    He's certainly got that whole tortured-soul thing down.
    Not to mention he's someone who obviously takes the comic book medium seriously.
    Just look at money's name for starters.
    AND did anyone notice the ORIGINAL horse-riding Ghost Rider in the trailer??!
    Nice touch.
    + Sam Elliot is

cosign. i don't know why everyone hates on nic cage so badly. the dude is in fact a comic book superfan and will do this movie justice...hopefully the script will do the comic the same.

Check out the trailer for Ghost Rider It acutally looks really good.

http://www.sonypictures.net/movies/ghostrider/
    Ghost Rider movie site

I just watched it. The movie looks like a CGI-orgy and none of it seems too impressive. It actually looks kind of shitty. Maybe "Ghost Rider" can duke it out with "Constantine" to see which is the worse adapatation.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

THE WATCHMEN

i agree with this wholeheatedly, but i still like to play 'who would you cast'.

Whilst Spacey would be good, i have to agree on Norton, dude is

but yeah, lets pray those fuckers never ruin what has to be one of the greatest graphic novels ever.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    From what I read (on the marvel website), many of those smaller marvel character movies (ant-man, etc) are going to be done by "independant" film makers.

As for Watchmen, the only way they could do it any justice is with Gilliam directing a 12-part mini-series. End of discussion.

As for Death, yes, that would make an interesting movie. And it is the comic with Death convincing the kurdt-cobain-look-alike not to kill him/herself (been a while since I read it). There were 2 mini-series involving the death character, as well as one manga not written by Neil Gaiman.

I want a spiderman movie featuring the best villian of all time... MYSTERIO[/b]. Harnessing the power of Hollywood's most precious asset... SPECIAL EFFECTS[/b]

b/w

Speaking of trailers:

"World Trade Center" looks so maudlin it's unbearable, besides the actual tragedy being dealt with.

"Superman Returns" looks pretty solid - it's amazing comparing how far special efx have come since the original "modern" Superman movies. I imagine this will kill the weekend it opens. That said, my spidey-sense (yeah, I know, diff comic book companies) says that Kate Bosworth could pull a Katie Holmes here.

"Pirates of the Caribbean" - Johnny Deep is still the draw but the trailer is way too overloaded to diff scenes. I got a headache just trying to keep track.

"Cars" - so necessary. I was initially skeptical but I think this could be pretty good, especially for car nerds. I have an acquaintance who's an artist at Pixar who spent an entire year on the film, just painting clouds. Seriously.

THE WATCHMEN

i agree with this wholeheatedly, but i still like to play 'who would you cast'.

Fair enough, plus it's so easy to play the part of the surly nerd on the internet. So I'll play the game

The Comedian: Gary Busey
    Dr. Manhattan: Ben Kingsley

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    Rorschach: Ed Norton
    Dr. Manhattan: Ben Kingsley (good choice dollar)
    Nite Owl: Jeff Bridges
    Silouhette: Sigourney Weaver
    Comedian: Gary Oldman
    Ozy: Tom Cruise

Ozy: Tom Cruise

holy shit, I was thinking the exact same thing! That character requires someone with an over the top ego/sense of invincibility. Oldman is a good choice too.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Re: The Dolph Lundgren "Punisher" effort, I actually liked it. It was done at comic book pace, and I thought the bit where he's fighting the Yakuza chick at the end, with the red lighting and music-box soundtrack was pretty well done. Esp. the bit where the music stops when he breaks her neck.

Hmm... Is that what Jeffrey Dahlmer would have said?

• I read that Tom Cruise has signed on to do Iron Man.

I'll bet he did....

Cruise has NOT signed on to do Iron Man.

• Cruise has NOT signed on to do Iron Man.

This of course begs the question of what they mean by "to do Iron Man"....

• wholewheatwholewheat 437 Posts
    No Dr. Strange movie in the works? Come on Marvel, people love a healthy dose of the occult in their entertainment. This could do well.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    and what about

Thats what I'm talkin about.

Fantastic Four 2 will feature THE SILVER SURFER

any other comics you guys wanna see on film?

Thor
    Iron Man
    Hulk 2
    Nick Fury
    WTF????????

How can Marvel be overlooking this cat.....

It's a crime.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts

THE WATCHMEN

Call me a pessimist, but there is nooooo waaaay that they could make a movie that will do this novel justice.

No doubt but I was cringing about walking into the theatre to see Sin City and that shit way better than I thought it would be.

Rorschach - Kevin Spacey
    The Comedian - Havey Kietel
    Dr. Manhattan - Jonathon Frakes
    Moloch - William H. Macy
    Dr. Malcolm Long - Delroy Lindo
    Night Owl - Vicent D'onofrio
    Ozymadias - Jude Law
    Silk Spectre - Holly Hunter

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    it's apparently happening...

this better not be wack juice

• it's apparently happening...

this better not be wack juice

Hard to tell. Zack Snyder did the pretty good Dawn of the Dead remake and is also
    working on Frank Miller's 300, which was ill. That Sam Hamm script....I hope it got a rewrite.

Iron Fist...okay.
    But what's up with:

?

What I really wanna see is:

Iron Fist...okay.
    But what's up with:

?

Tyrese stars and John Singleton directs............

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

I think a Power Man & Iron Fist movie would be cool. Neither character warrants their own feature. Their solo titles couldn't sustain themselves. But a buddy flick with the two of them could be fun.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Neither character warrants their own feature. Their solo titles couldn't sustain themselves.

That first Luke Cage solo series is fuckin' rugged!!