Sending demos to labels

MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
So, currently working on a demo to send off to a few labels.I'm thinking of sending 6 well rounded tracks instead of sending tons of unfinished beats. How have people on here handled their demo-sending business? More tracks vs less, big labels vs small etc, advice-give plaese. You can hear some tracks on here and reccommended labels also appreciated.

Comments

• behemothbehemoth 2,189 Posts
    honestly, unless you know someone at the label or have contacted the label announcing that you are sending your demo, it'd be a waste of money.

labels get tons of demos a day. most dont listen to them.

id get in touch with the label before sending them out

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    honestly, unless you know someone at the label or have contacted the label announcing that you are sending your demo, it'd be a waste of money.

labels get tons of demos a day. most dont listen to them.

id get in touch with the label before sending them out
    Yep. Already doing that, both sending to labels I know people at or know affiliated peoples, but point well taken.

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    If you're confident in your beats, put the shit out yourself. A modest private release pushed through independent channels effectively acts as a demo, getting you attention by listeners at the same time. Then send that 12" to the labels you want to put out your next record.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts
    if you do send a demo, i would say that fewer tracks would be better. less is more. and make sure the first two or three are hot hot fire. if they aren't feeling the first one, then the rest of them go in the garbage unheard.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    If you're confident in your beats, put the shit out yourself. A modest private release pushed through independent channels effectively acts as a demo, getting you attention by listeners at the same time. Then send that 12" to the labels you want to put out your next record.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    yeah, i was about to say... sending demos to labels is a rather early 90's thing to do. i can't think of any labels that have been searching for random new fresh talent ever since downloading MP3s became the norm. the music industry has changed a lot in the last decade [in a bad way], but so have the means of self promotion [in a good way]... i'd just press a couple hundred copies myself and distribute them online. best part is that you get 100% from sales and direct feedback from listeners.