Political thread (RR)

Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
edited June 2006 in Strut Central
Anyone seen this?: 50 greatest conservative rock songs Discuss...

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The thing I find most amusing about articles like this (apart from the fact that anyone would think they're a good idea in the first place) is the way that, in order to support the premise that there exists a vast, unsung pantheon of "conservative" rock songs, the writers are prepared to take completely out of context a couple of random lines from this or that lyric, often missing the point of the song as a whole, and push the idea that it's in these lines that the true meaning of the song resides. Obviously, interpretation is a pretty individual thing, but if you can't spot the thwarted idealism in "Won't Get Fooled Again", or recognise that, if anything, "Sympathy For The Devil" is closer to nihilism than conservatism, then maybe you should be listening to something else.

By the way, if the right is so united in its loathing of all things liberal, progressive, arty or boho, then why do they keep desperately trying to stake a claim in one of the core constituencies of these values? I thought they revelled in being "unhip". Besides, they'd find a more vibrant celebration of free enterprise in a lot of rap music anyway, and the absence of any "get that money" lyrics in that list is as clear as day. What's the matter? Ted Nugent not enough for 'em anymore?

• Anyone seen this?:

50 greatest conservative rock songs

Discuss...

Did you read that article? It's a bunch of disingenuous, heavily rationalized garbage. I'm sure the vast majority of artists on that list would be unhappy how they're music is being co-opted (except for maybe Neil Peart).

• Diamante_DDiamante_D 215 Posts
    Yeah right, I totally agree with that. What planet would you need to be on to try and appropriate the bloody Clash for the neocons?

Overall, I'd prefer to think that this must have been done tongue in cheek, but do conservatives actually have a sense of humour?

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    51. "Welcome to the Terrordome", by Public Enemy
    A horrifying look into a world where terrorism runs unchecked. Lines like "never be a brother like me go solo" clearly express the need for a united front against the agents of evil.

• 51. "Welcome to the Terrordome", by Public Enemy
    A horrifying look into a world where terrorism runs unchecked. Lines like "never be a brother like me go solo" clearly express the need for a united front against the agents of evil.[/b]

These dipshits think they're living in a Schwartzenegger movie....

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    51. "Welcome to the Terrordome", by Public Enemy
    A horrifying look into a world where terrorism runs unchecked. Lines like "never be a brother like me go solo" clearly express the need for a united front against the axis of evil.[/b]

These dipshits running the country think they're living in a Schwartzenegger movie....

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm surprised they didn't list "Born in the U.S.A." I mean, they already completely missed the point of it once, so now they have a list of 50 gross misinterpretations, and they leave it off? Weirdos.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    ???I Fought the Law,??? by The Crickets Who are the Crickets? Opps, I just did a google search, Buddy Holly's Crickets, post Holly. They did the original recording 1959. I had no idea.

How is this song conservative?

Breakin rocks in the hot sun
    I fought the law and the law won (twice)
    I needed money cause I had none
    I fought the law and the law won (twice)[/b]

Song celebrates getting tough on crime.

I left my baby and it feels so bad
    Guess my race is run[/b]

Black men commit crimes and leave their babies.

Shes the best girl that I ever had
    I fought the law and the law won
    I fought the law and the

Robbin people with a six-gun[/b]

Celebrates gun ownership.

I lost my girl and I lost my fun

I left my baby and it feels so bad
    Guess my race is run
    Shes the best girl that I ever had
    I fought the law and the law won
    I fought the law and the

I fought the law and the law won (7 times)
    I fought the law and the

• the guy from doobie bros and steely dan works at the pentagon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mvo86-w6KyY&search=STEELY%20DAN

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    the guy from doobie bros and steely dan works at the pentagon...

Why is this not a good look???

Somebody's gonna do this job and I think it's great that they would allow a self-taught ex-musician with no apparent partisanship or loyalties to big business to do it??

If he's half as good at this as he was a guitarist he'll do a hell of a job.

• If he's half as good at this as he was a guitarist he'll do a hell of a job.

i guess, but i was or less reffering to the handlebar moustache...

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I had no idea. To bad that report was so stupid. The guys a studio musician who worked with 2 mega hit studio groups.

My guess is his electronics background comes from setting up guitars, amps, mixers etc. He must have been watching electronic advances and seen them happening in defense.

I found a great bio on him in wikipedia.