French Laundry experience, by request

Comments

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Strutters are much more refined/sophisticated than I would have known! I wouldn't know what to do with that food, it looks like I shouldn't cut into it, perhaps a better move would be to cryogenically freeze the dish and sell it later for loot.

sayin'! and ive dined on 5 continents even. wow. next level food knowledge being dropped. Anyway, i thought this thread was going to be about laundromats in Paris, which i actually have had some funny experiences at. d'oh!

• TenyuTenyu 30 Posts
    I don't think one could ever accuse Babbo of "getting no love"...

I have dined there and wasn't sufficiently blown away to warant long-term pining for a return though... then again, I wasn't eating meat at the time. :/

So you had a fish dish there?

• TenyuTenyu 30 Posts

I have dined there and wasn't sufficiently blown away to warant long-term pining for a return though... then again, I wasn't eating meat at the time. :/

Ate at Esca last week in the city, another Batali joint (though, not a flagship or anything). Anyway, good but not great, with one main course sent back. My lady was nervous about it, but as my friend said to her, "These guys are running the city, and making billions a year. Your piece of fish won't sink them." (Yes, billions is an exaggeration on his part, but it was a good line.)

Point is: Babbo and Batali get a lot of love and money. Though, Del Posto get no fourth star, dawg.

They make about $6 million a year.

Did you have the crudo tasting?

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Not trying to diss but damn, doesn't Bon Apetit have a discussion board...
    I know about record snobbery but this stuff is bordering on legit snobbery...
    I had no idea the Strut was so chock full the real life jetsetting elitists you see in Wallpaper.
    Who wants to talk about their fav Denny's dish, the Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity kills any engorged duck liver I never ate!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Not trying to diss but...

doesn't Bon Apetit have a discussion board

this stuff is bordering on legit snobbery

I had no idea the Strut was so chock full the real life jetsetting elitists

Fruity

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I had no idea the Strut was so chock full the real life jetsetting elitists you see in Wallpaper.
    Who wants to talk about their fav Denny's dish, the Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity kills any engorged duck liver I never ate!

Look mayne, if you have no appreciation for fine food and wine STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD! I would not eat at Denny's if it was free. Start your own bad chain restaurant food thread. If people love fine food and wine they "legit snobs?" Stop hattin' son.

P.S. A number of people asked Aser to post about dinner at French Laundry. There are people on this board that DO care about things other than records.

Look mayne, if you have no appreciation for fine food and wine STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD! I would not eat at Denny's if it was free. Start your own bad chain restaurant food thread. If people love fine food and wine they "legit snobs?" Stop hattin' son.

P.S. A number of people asked Aser to post about dinner at French Laundry. There are people on this board that DO care about things other than records.

I threw that hook out with a fat worm on it and WHAM! You took the bait!
    Don't take your self so seriously...
    How bout I pay you to eat a Grand Slam...
    I know other things are discussed on this board, but It ain't called Caviar Strut now is it?

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

I threw that hook out with a fat worm on it and WHAM! You took the bait!
    Don't take your self so seriously...
    How bout I pay you to eat a Grand Slam...
    I know other things are discussed on this board, but It ain't called Caviar Strut now is it?

Damn Chan Dog is heated!!! I can honestly say I don't anyone that is a food fanatic like Chan Dog. He GOES hard. I'm with you Christian, I could give a fizzle about a 500 dollar meal, I would hit Taco Time and go buy Stark Reality or some shit with that yaper.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

it's not called "bait" strut either.

let it go......

It's all in good fun...
    Everybodies got their somethin'.
    Eat drink and be merry.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Damn Chan Dog is heated!!! I can honestly say I don't anyone that is a food fanatic like Chan Dog. He GOES hard. I'm with you Christian, I could give a fizzle about a 500 dollar meal, I would hit Taco Time and go buy Stark Reality or some shit with that yaper.

I hear you but it's not like anybody here is dropping Reynaldo-level loot on meals for every occasion. That said, I don't mind spending raer-record-type paper on a damn good meal every once in a while. If CPeetz, or anyone else, thinks that qualifies as snobbery, you can suck my engorged duck liver.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    you can suck my engorged duck liver.

[Reynaldo]could they afford it?[/Reynaldo]

Yes Tenyu, I had the fish. I know, what a waste.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    ok, this covers a lot of ground, bear with me.....

Food is one of our most basic needs in life, something we consume multiple times per day. Besides sleep, it is one of the activies we indulge in most often. Folks generally fall into two camps with food, they either see it as substinence, or a pleasure. Personally speaking, considering how often we have to eat, I might as well derive satifaction from the act.

Secondly, the old adage of "you are what you eat" rings true. If I continue putting cheap processed junk in my body, I know I'll feel lethargic. My body isn't what it once was, no longer can my metabolism plough through big macs. A healthy body leads to an improved state of mind, giving me more energy to accomplish the good ol "real world moves".

Also good food is not soley reserved for the bourgeoisie, most of my favourite cuisines are derived from the ingenuity of peasants. The poor had to make do w/ bits and scraps neglected by the rich. They poured their heart and soul into it and transfromed said disgard into some of the tastiest concoctions. Necessity is the mother of all inventions, I truly believe in that. That is why it pains me to see our lazy society resort to fast food because of money and convenience. Hearing folks willing to eat "insert fast food chain" to save $ for grails saddens me. Sacrificing your body for a material good is NAGL.

Last of all, I've reached an impasse in my life. Do i continue to allow material goods define my life? What is the point of buying a record, crossing off want list, filing into expedit, only to never listen to said record again since you already bump the mp3's on your ipod. I finally realized memories are much more important to me than posessions. Things can be stolen, burnt, destroyed, etc......whereas memories can never be taken away from me.

You're probably wondering, what does this have anything to do with food? Well, the physical act of eating is only one small aspect of it. By nature, food is the linchpin of society, many social events and celebrations are centered around it. You name the event and you can be damn sure food is involved. It covers a gamut of emotions, from birthdays and weddings to funerals and breakups. These moments in time, in addition to the company I keep, the ambiance, etc, all play an equal part to the actual food. They form the basis of the quest for a perfect meal. Having eaten, I can walk away empty handed fully satisfied with the memory of it all. Whereas most folks prefer a tangible good they can take away for the amount of $ spent. They feel it's more bang for the buck since it can be held and shown to people.

This is social conditioning taught through years of subliminal advertising, possesions supposedly defines our status in life. I'm not knocking anybody's hustle, do whatever makes you happy. I just don't feel the need to own every record/sneaker/books/selvage denim in the world. Nor am I some hippy that rocks hemp underwear. The key is grasping the concept of moderation, drawing the distinction between want vs need.

If you've read this far, I thank you for your patience. I spent quite a few mins of my time typing this in hopes of offering a different perspective. The goal is not to change your mind nor single out your faults. I just want to give you a better understanding of the rationale behind someone like me, a fan of food who also collect records.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Aser, that was fucking sweet.

seriously well written.

[amateurfoodie]now ima go back to learning from this thread[/amateurfoodie]

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

Food is one of our most basic needs in life, something we consume multiple times per day. Besides sleep, it is one of the activies we indulge in most often. Folks generally fall into two camps with food, they either see it as substinence, or a pleasure. Personally speaking, considering how often we have to eat, I might as well derive satifaction from the act.

Secondly, the old adage of "you are what you eat" rings true. If I continue putting cheap processed junk in my body, I know I'll feel lethargic. My body isn't what it once was, no longer can my metabolism plough through big macs. A healthy body leads to an improved state of mind, giving me more energy to accomplish the good ol "real world moves".

Also good food is not soley reserved for the bourgeoisie, most of my favourite cuisines are derived from the ingenuity of peasants. The poor had to make do w/ bits and scraps neglected by the rich. They poured their heart and soul into it and transfromed said disgard into some of the tastiest concoctions. Necessity is the mother of all inventions, I truly believe in that. That is why it pains me to see our lazy society resort to fast food because of money and convenience. Hearing folks willing to eat "insert fast food chain" to save $ for grails saddens me. Sacrificing your body for a material good is NAGL.

Last of all, I've reached an impasse in my life. Do i continue to allow material goods define my life? What is the point of buying a record, crossing off want list, filing into expedit, only to never listen to said record again since you already bump the mp3's on your ipod. I finally realized memories are much more important to me than posessions. Things can be stolen, burnt, destroyed, etc......whereas memories can never be taken away from me.

You're probably wondering, what does this have anything to do with food? Well, the physical act of eating is only one small aspect of it. By nature, food is the linchpin of society, many social events and celebrations are centered around it. You name the event and you can be damn sure food is involved. It covers a gamut of emotions, from birthdays and weddings to funerals and breakups. These moments in time, in addition to the company I keep, the ambiance, etc, all play an equal part to the actual food. They form the basis of the quest for a perfect meal. Having eaten, I can walk away empty handed fully satisfied with the memory of it all. Whereas most folks prefer a tangible good they can take away for the amount of $ spent. They feel it's more bang for the buck since it can be held and shown to people.

This is social conditioning taught through years of subliminal advertising, possesions supposedly defines our status in life. I'm not knocking anybody's hustle, do whatever makes you happy. I just don't feel the need to own every record/sneaker/books/selvage denim in the world. Nor am I some hippy that rocks hemp underwear. The key is grasping the concept of moderation, drawing the distinction between want vs need.

If you've read this far, I thank you for your patience. I spent quite a few mins of my time typing this in hopes of offering a different perspective. The goal is not to change your mind nor single out your faults. I just want to give you a better understanding of the rationale behind someone like me, a fan of food who also collect records.

As hcrink once said, "Damn. I'm gonna have to get this tattoed across my back."

Ate at Esca last week in the city, another Batali joint (though, not a flagship or anything). Anyway, good but not great, with one main course sent back. My lady was nervous about it, but as my friend said to her, "These guys are running the city, and making billions a year. Your piece of fish won't sink them." (Yes, billions is an exaggeration on his part, but it was a good line.)

Point is: Babbo and Batali get a lot of love and money. Though, Del Posto get no fourth star, dawg.

Yes, the crudo tasting was why I went, and was the definite highlight of the meal. Razor Clam ceviche, bluefin tuna, and a piece of salmon topped with crushed almonds were all standouts. The Tuna Prosciutto appetizer was crazy as well.

Main courses were good, but not great, with one total dud in the mix (stripped bass that tasted more of burnt charcoal than fish.)

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Good speakin
    aser especially about the poor/reinvention (so true..peru meat ''cuts'' fall into this category..and its deliscious)The importat thing to remember is you can always learn from the culinary experience no matter what class you are.

I was lucky to be born into a family where both parents have skills. However i worked as a dishwasher in an upscale montreeal restaurqant. 10$/h under the table but especially
    free meals and mad time spent in the kitchen.

I learnt so much from these chefs from ''reductions'' to preparation and timing

And every day was a culinary delight

some of the chefs had started from the bottom up so its possible for all to gain access to this great knoledge.

Treating your body right with food is the epitomy of

I can cook a great meal for 4 with the money from two 'combos'

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I can cook a great meal for 4 with the money from two 'combos'

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts

I hear you but it's not like anybody here is dropping Reynaldo-level loot on meals for every occasion. That said, I don't mind spending raer-record-type paper on a damn good meal every once in a while. If CPeetz, or anyone else, thinks that qualifies as snobbery, you can suck my engorged duck liver.

There's no problem with spending money on a good meal at all. For me personally it just doesn't mean that much to me. I go out to a lot of expensive meals because my wife is all into it more than anything. I also don't really like the atmosphere in a lot of these higher end restauraunts. Too much over the top ass kissing goin on.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Hearing folks willing to eat "insert fast food chain" to save $ for grails saddens me. Sacrificing your body for a material good is NAGL.

Oracle of Delphi: everything in moderation, nothing in excess - based on a survey conducted by New Scientist magazine (results published a few years back) - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/3157570.stm), people in Nigeria evinced the most happiness... I'd hazard to say that Nigerians by and large aren't privy to every modern convenience nor able to afford the plethora of merchandise availed in a 'developed' society... I know this may be anathema to the supposed free market system we operate in and I fully concede that capitalism works most effectively b/c it feeds off people's innate self-interests of personal gain, but...

Saw a segment recently on Detroit's Black Milk making a beat - one statement stood out: (paraphrased) 'People think I've got hundreds of thousands of records - it ain't even like that - I just got good records...' Being selective probably necessitates restraint, but it may prove to be more prudent and ultimately more satisfying...

As for food, it's one of the facets that used to gird traditional society/family - as in a sitdown meal together where conversation complemented the experience...

And while I continue to engage in a Joycean stream-of-consciousness moment, I revisited 'Before Sunset' not too long ago *ndr*w and the phrase from Hawke's character about being slightly agitated about always wanting something and the notion of entitlement that's pervasive (see above) - so very true...

There's no problem with spending money on a good meal at all. For me personally it just doesn't mean that much to me. I go out to a lot of expensive meals because my wife is all into it more than anything. I also don't really like the atmosphere in a lot of these higher end restauraunts. Too much over the top ass kissing goin on.

I respect that. And seriously, I'm far more happy to find a great spot to grub at. Tasty, cheap food is the illest. That's why, for all its other shortcomings, Shanghai is a great city to me.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

finally a hearty full bodied conversation on sustinence! the dude just served you batches batches upon batches of knowledge and put a fontina of experience on top for good measure.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

pssshh! the rooty tooty fresh and fruity is a IHOP menu item. not denny's.

• TenyuTenyu 30 Posts

Yes, the crudo tasting was why I went, and was the definite highlight of the meal. Razor Clam ceviche, bluefin tuna, and a piece of salmon topped with crushed almonds were all standouts.

Go for the bluefish, spearfish, and tilefish crudo next time.

• edubedub 715 Posts

pssshh! the rooty tooty fresh and fruity is a IHOP menu item. not denny's.

this thread is

Imma take my girl to FL for her b-day... She's already been, but I haven't....

Yes, the crudo tasting was why I went, and was the definite highlight of the meal. Razor Clam ceviche, bluefin tuna, and a piece of salmon topped with crushed almonds were all standouts.

Go for the bluefish, spearfish, and tilefish crudo next time.

Don't know how fast I'll go back. I loved the crudo, but that was all I'd go back for. The skate I had as a main was good, but not enough to get me back.

A friend of mine swears by a place called August; she works at the James Beard Foundation, so I trust her opinion, and that's my next stop.

Question: isn't crudo basically, sashimi?

Yes, 'italian style sashimi,' is how they bill it on Esca's menu. They were the first to do it, and coined the term. (crudo was previously only used as an italian term that refered to prosciutto, if i remember correctly.)

There was a profile of David Pasternak in the new yorker last august that explained how Esca and crudo kind of began; that article is what made me want to go to the restaurant. Great read. I found it last week by googling, "david pasternak New Yorker," if you are interested.

• TenyuTenyu 30 Posts

Yes, 'italian style sashimi,' is how they bill it on Esca's menu. They were the first to do it, and coined the term. (crudo was previously only used as an italian term that refered to prosciutto, if i remember correctly.)

There was a profile of David Pasternak in the new yorker last august that explained how Esca and crudo kind of began; that article is what made me want to go to the restaurant. Great read. I found it last week by googling, "david pasternak New Yorker," if you are interested.

Crudo's a tradition that goes back centuries along Italy's coasts. Esca was the first restaurant in NYC to serve it but using fresh American fish instead of Mediterranean. Prosciutto's cured so doubt was referred to as crudo.

• TenyuTenyu 30 Posts

Don't know how fast I'll go back. I loved the crudo, but that was all I'd go back for. The skate I had as a main was good, but not enough to get me back.

A friend of mine swears by a place called August; she works at the James Beard Foundation, so I trust her opinion, and that's my next stop.

Skates alright but much more common than the sturgeon, ivory salmon, or the humongous soft shell crabs Esca gets. Never heard of August...