Going To Chicago

Comments

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    every time one of these Chicago threads come out, we get about 3 new lurkers appearing from the woodworks. Who are you dudes?

Also for the sweet tooth, definitly get some Garretts popcorn. Go for the caramel/cheese blend... ridonculoid

if you're going to be chilling in Wicker Park.. Sultans Market or Piece on North are a good bet. Piece has some damned good home brewed beer, and their pizza is excellent.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I've got the week of July 4 off so I'm totally heading to Chicago to check out the King Tut exhibit.

The Shedd Aquarium is a little pricey too, but worth it if you ask me. how can you say no to these guys:

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Don't forget Leon's (right off the stony island exit on the dan ryan) and hecky's (north side, evanston + cabrini green area)

I only know the Leon's on Cottage Grove. I thought it was okay. It's obviously very popular, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Compared to Curt's, they cut a few corners. Is the one on Stony Island better?

They're about identical, as far as I'm concerned.

Not to overload you with info, but I gotta cop a plea for one of the finer south Chicago eateries: the Soul Queen, on 91st(?) and Stony Island. All-you-can-eat soul-food buffet, with a nice R&B jukebox in the dining room (CD's, naturally), and pictures of the owner on the wall with various celebrities (Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, etc.) on the wall, most from the sixties and seventies.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    every time one of these Chicago threads come out, we get about 3 new lurkers appearing from the woodworks. Who are you dudes?
    i'm david, i post with sergdun on somanyshrimp and he kept linking me to shit over here so finally i gave in and joined. i was born in chicago and grew up in chicago and evanston.

• Don't forget Leon's (right off the stony island exit on the dan ryan) and hecky's (north side, evanston + cabrini green area)

I only know the Leon's on Cottage Grove. I thought it was okay. It's obviously very popular, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Compared to Curt's, they cut a few corners. Is the one on Stony Island better?

They're about identical, as far as I'm concerned.

Not to overload you with info, but I gotta cop a plea for one of the finer south Chicago eateries: the Soul Queen, on 91st(?) and Stony Island. All-you-can-eat soul-food buffet, with a nice R&B jukebox in the dining room (CD's, naturally), and pictures of the owner on the wall with various celebrities (Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, etc.) on the wall, most from the sixties and seventies.

Don't worry about overloading, I'll be there for a sizeable amount of time and I've still got a few weeks to sort all this info out before I get on the plane. The more info the better as I know very little about Chicago.

Thanks.

My friend Rob was all like:

I recommend the hot links

...and I agree, too. That's like the one staple of south Chicago rib joints that the the north Chicago places miss: the hot link. Matter of fact, during my recent sabbatical in Memphis, that was the ONLY thing that disappointed me about the (OTHERWISE FINE) bar-B-Q joints - the absence of hot links (which is basically Italian sausage drowned in barbecue sauce).

As I sit here, I'm just remembering that there is a third Leon's on the North side (on Halsted near Fullerton). IIRC it's the only Leon's in Chicago where you can dine in.

Neverenoughmoney, you still out there? Here you go:

Soul Queen, located at 9031 S. Stony Island. www.soulqueen.com

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    i'm david, i post with sergdun on somanyshrimp and he kept linking me to shit over here so finally i gave in and joined. i was born in chicago and grew up in chicago and evanston.

I too grew up in both Evanston and Chicago. How old are you? I'm 26 and the only non-foreign Ivan in the history of the Chicago area as far as I know.

I saw my uncle from Chicago this weekend and he reminded me I'm way overdue for a visit to the family. I may be out that way sometime this summer. Word.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I'll vouch for Margies chocolates, right around the corner from me. Across the street is Lazo's for good mexican food and the 24 hour spot. For slices of pizza I'd recommend Lucky Vito's, for deep dish sit down Congress Pizza can't be beat imo. Speaking of BBQ Calvin's has been good the couple times I've been there.

• every time one of these Chicago threads come out, we get about 3 new lurkers appearing from the woodworks. Who are you dudes?

My name is Kevin from Melrose Park, got a lil radio show called ProgGnosis on 88.9FM(Triton College Radio) Wednesday nights 9-11pm. Soulstrut kills much of my worktime so I'll admit I'm a lurker.

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    Across the street is Lazo's for good mexican food and the 24 hour spot.

Arturo's next door is better for vegetarians, however. Both are good for 24 hour spots.

for deep dish sit down Congress Pizza can't be beat imo.

Shhhh. That's the secret spot. Kills Uno and Giordanos, for sure.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

I too grew up in both Evanston and Chicago. How old are you? I'm 26 and the only non-foreign Ivan in the history of the Chicago area as far as I know.

I saw my uncle from Chicago this weekend and he reminded me I'm way overdue for a visit to the family. I may be out that way sometime this summer. Word.
    23. Did you go to evanston hs?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

23. Did you go to evanston hs?

[privateschoolkidalert]Nope... I was in the city for high school at Francis Parker. I was in Evanston for middle school at good old St. A's.[/privateschoolkidalert]

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I knew folks who went to st. A's...fuck if I can remember their names though.

The real reason I'm here is because of the graemlins.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts

My name is Kevin from Melrose Park, got a lil radio show called ProgGnosis on 88.9FM(Triton College Radio) Wednesday nights 9-11pm. Soulstrut kills much of my worktime so I'll admit I'm a lurker.

I dropped out of Triton College! I grew up in Maywood just south of the tracks. you didnt go to Proviso East, did you? I think Dcast is a former melrose resident.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I'm max - been lurking for about 18 months. phd student in the television studies program at northwestern , living in Andersonville.

Just had a nice dig at Hyde Park. Highly recommended for the visitors...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    "Andersontrill"

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Got some good food recommendations going - any upscale spot I need to check out?

If you're looking to drop some loot, look no further. They might even let you eat your chair. No joke.

http://www.motorestaurant.com

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Marco: Sultan's Market is the place I brought yall before.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder is fairly unpleasant, between the overblown Lincoln Park neighborhood and the crowds that tend to form there during any normal feeding time.

I'll second that. Also: their pizza is overrated because it tastes like Manwich. You know: Manwich.

• I'm not sure which of these were mentioned, but here's a few spots:

First off if you want barbecue, head about 500 miles south to Cozy Corner in Memphis for ribs, or 500 miles east to Kansas City to Lc's for the burnt ends. Sorry, I can no longer endorse barbecue in Chicago, since Tony's on Lincoln closed ten years ago. I'm not saying good barbecue doesn't exist here, only that I haven't found it yet.

Somebody mentioned Mario's, on Taylor, for Italian lemonade. This is definitely something you should hit while you are out here. However, they must be vegetarian because they forgot to mention Al's Italian beef right across the street.Try the beef, dipped, with hot and sweet. It's greasy, but you should definitely hit Al's before some lemonade. It's a Chicago staple, and I have not come across a sandwich like this anywhere.

I believe Rob mentioned La Pasadita, for taco's. This is also something not to miss. Los Nopales on Western has some banging tilapia taco's as well, and they're a buck fifty. If you want to spend some money try Frontera Grill.

If you like Puerto Rican try Cafe Central on Chicago. This may very well be the comfort food you are looking for. Pancho's on California is also the spot. (Notice the logo here. It's the same one Delicious vinyl used, only he's biting a sandwich instead of a record. Anyone here know anything about this?)

Another favorite spot is a Guatemalan restaurant called El Tinajon, on Roscoe. I have enjoyed every meal I've had here.

For pizza you can't go wrong with Lou Malnati's. I recommend "The Lou", and you said your girl has a sweet tooth? Try the chocolate chip pizza for dessert. My girl says try Hot Chocolate for excellent cookies and milkshakes.

If you want breakfast try Walker Brothers Original Pancakes out in Wilmette. The lines are long on weekends, but they move pretty quickly. Ina's on Randolph is also pretty good.

I could go on for days. It's not hard at all hard to find good food here.

I'm not sure which of these were mentioned, but here's a few spots:

First off if you want barbecue, head about 500 miles south to Cozy Corner in Memphis for ribs, or 500 miles east to Kansas City to Lc's for the burnt ends. Sorry, I can no longer endorse barbecue in Chicago, since Tony's on Lincoln closed ten years ago. I'm not saying good barbecue doesn't exist here, only that I haven't found it yet.

You sure haven't! There is no way somebody can say there's no good barbecue in Chicago when they've only had it on the North side! GO SOUTH!! That's like writing off Mexican food in Chicago because Chipotle was all you had!

It's all good, no big thing - I'm not out to start an intramural North vs. South BBQ war, but I gotta reiterate:

Leon's (even their one North Side location). Lem's. Curt's. Yes, even Ribs 'N' Bibs in Hyde Park. All reasons why I consider Chicago a heavy BBQ city (although I second the recommendation for Memphis' Cozy Corner).

If you like Puerto Rican try Cafe Central on Chicago. This may very well be the comfort food you are looking for. Pancho's on California is also the spot. (Notice the logo here. It's the same one Delicious vinyl used, only he's biting a sandwich instead of a record. Anyone here know anything about this?)

I'm always seeing small businesses biting famous logos. I don't know if it's still up (I took a picture around 2001 or so), but on the far South side there was, or is, an ad on the side of a 95th St. building for King Cleaners. The logo is pretty damn close to that of King Records, with the crown and the lettering.

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts

Somebody mentioned Mario's, on Taylor, for Italian lemonade. This is definitely something you should hit while you are out here. However, they must be vegetarian because they forgot to mention Al's Italian beef right across the street.Try the beef, dipped, with hot and sweet. It's greasy, but you should definitely hit Al's before some lemonade. It's a Chicago staple, and I have not come across a sandwich like this anywhere.

Al's is directly behind where I went to high school (and, sadly, a block away from where I went to college), so I'm still recovering from years of consumption. But what he says is true, the beef is serious and not to be missed.

It's not hard at all hard.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I actually like Chipotle. Yes, I'm aware who owns them.

I'm max - been lurking for about 18 months. phd student in the television studies program at northwestern , living in Andersonville.

I used to live on Clark/Rascher. Thems was the days. Lakeview: Boys Town Andersonville: Girls Town

• you know what I mean? Vidalia

you know what I mean? Vidalia

haha, yeah NeverEnoughMoney, if you have time to drive like 4 hours, drive out to Rochelle, IL to Naple's Deli and get a cheese sandwich. Not really the greatest food, but you'll stay for the conversation. yaknowhatimean? youlikeathavidalias?

• Who said anything about the northside? Ribs and Bibs? You might as well hit Rajun Cajun instead and barbecue at home. You need some recipes?