Going To Chicago

NeverEnoughMoneyNeverEnoughMoney 300 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I'm going to Chicago for the second time in a few weeks and I'm looking for some suggestions on what to do with my time. Last time I went, I didn't have a chance to do that many things that interested me, I plan to change that this time.Looking for great sites to seegood food to eatnice neighborhoods to visitrequired places to shopand, of course, vinyl spots to hit.Off the bat, I'm interested in seeing Frank Lloyd Wright's home, eating at Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder Co., maybe revisiting mk, checking out Green Mill, and shopping at Wicker Park.Any of this stuff not advisable?I got a lot of great feedback for my trip to SF last year and had a memorable visit, so any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

Comments

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    food: Hot Doug's

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I'm going to Chicago for the second time in a few days. Who wants to get drunk?

• food: Hot Doug's

WTF are Duck Fat Fries...could they be as simple as they sound? and are they good?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    I cant even think about getting drunk right now... but I'll be havin a couple with ya on Saturday Marco!

NeverEnough: what type of food do you prefer? I know all the bangin vegetarian joints, and for pizza, it really depends what style you like. If you like Mexican food, I highly endorse Nuevo Leon on 18th/ Ashland. . If you want to try a dope Meditteranean restaurant, go to Reza's on Clark... and I think theres one downtown as well.

Besides the Wicker Park stores like Reckless and Dusty Groove, you should try Hyde Park Records on 53rd.

Theres a new Egypt exhibit at the Art Institue downtown right now.. looks amazing.

Pick up "The Reader" when you get into town. All the events going on in the city are in there, and you can find em almost everywhere in town.

• NeverEnough: what type of food do you prefer? I know all the bangin vegetarian joints, and for pizza, it really depends what style you like. If you like Mexican food, I highly endorse Nuevo Leon on 18th/ Ashland. . If you want to try a dope Meditteranean restaurant, go to Reza's on Clark... and I think theres one downtown as well.

Thanks for the recommendations. I like many different kinds of food - Indian, Korean, Italian, Southern, etc - but I'm mainly looking for food that's not only good, but provides a uniquely Chicagoan experience (or it's so good, that it is worth eating regardless of where it is located). I live in NY, so I don't really need to go to an Italian restauarnt that is just really good. But, if it is really good and it is in a unique space, it over looks a nice part of Chicago or there is something endemic about it, I'd want to go.

As for Pizza, I love all kinds, but I hear deep dish is the way to go...

So, feel free to school me.

NeverEnough: what type of food do you prefer? I know all the bangin vegetarian joints, and for pizza, it really depends what style you like. If you like Mexican food, I highly endorse Nuevo Leon on 18th/ Ashland. . If you want to try a dope Meditteranean restaurant, go to Reza's on Clark... and I think theres one downtown as well.

Thanks for the recommendations. I like many different kinds of food - Indian, Korean, Italian, Southern, etc - but I'm mainly looking for food that's not only good, but provides a uniquely Chicagoan experience (or it's so good, that it is worth eating regardless of where it is located). I live in NY, so I don't really need to go to an Italian restauarnt that is just really good. But, if it is really good and it is in a unique space, it over looks a nice part of Chicago or there is something endemic about it, I'd want to go.

As for Pizza, I love all kinds, but I hear deep dish is the way to go...

So, feel free to school me.

man, if you have a car.. theres a Korean restaurant on the far north side called Amitabul... http://www.amitabul.getwebnet.com/ Sooo fucking good. My wife is not a vegetarian, but she couldnt beleive how good this place was. Get some date tea if you go!!!

I really like Wishbone on Washington st. Go for breakfast... its like Cajun mixed with the standards, but always busy and everything I've tried there is awesome. We go almost every 2 weeks.

The chicago mafia dudes always eat at Gaylord's for Indian food. Seems to be flame, but I haven't tried it.

I'm not a huge Pizza dude, but I always like some Giordanos, or Unos, or Lou Malnatis. Lou Malnati's might be the best of the 3 for deep dish. They have a delivery service that sends shit to California, and NY all the time apparently. Some real mafioso shit.

We_eat_trains is the dude to talk to about restaurants... maybe he cares to chime in.

WTF are Duck Fat Fries...could they be as simple as they sound? and are they good?

yes it's as simple as it sounds. I've never had them because I'm vegetarian (although I've heard everything gets fried in some sort of lard, but whatever) but people that have swear by them.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I cant even think about getting drunk right now... but I'll be havin a couple with ya on Saturday Marco!

Great to hear it man. Make sure to bring some records to the swap at Delilah's that day. And dude - any chance of a falafel rerun?? That place was the move. I'll holler at ya when I get into town.

BTW - we_eat_trains! Dcastillo! TerryClubbup! Luck! Pickwick33! LET'S GET THIS SOULSTRUT REUNION IN FULL EFFECT!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

yes it's as simple as it sounds. I've never had them because I'm vegetarian (although I've heard everything gets fried in some sort of lard, but whatever) but people that have swear by them.

Hot Doug's is fucking heaven. The best hog dogs I've EVER had (and I live in Chicago). Well worth the trip.

What you know about Gaylord's? Strictly Vindaloo 4 Dayz.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I like many different kinds of food - Indian, Korean, Italian, Southern,

Ditto on Amitabul. Its a haul - you'll start asking yourself "Am I still in Chicago?"-but its def. worth it for the super fresh, super heady vegetarian dishes. For some upscale (though Westernized) Korean with ambience, Jin Ju on N Clark and Foster in Andersonville is good.

As for Indian, the whole Devon strip is pretty safe, but I'd check out Sukhadia at 2559 W Devon if you're feeling adventurous. Its the Chicago outpost of the NY/NJ Indian sweets and chaat places. Super cheap, super intense flavors. Typically I'm the only white dude in the place, if that's any indication.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Great to hear it man. Make sure to bring some records to the swap at Delilah's that day. And dude - any chance of a falafel rerun?? That place was the move. I'll holler at ya when I get into town.

BTW - we_eat_trains! Dcastillo! TerryClubbup! Luck! Pickwick33! LET'S GET THIS SOULSTRUT REUNION IN FULL EFFECT!

Marco - ever been to Sultan's Market? It's vegan central, for good reason. Maybe SoulVeg, too. But I can't stand Earwax's vegan fare. Let's get up.

Bonus: I'll play you this here moddy Alvin Williams squirrel.

• oh snap! I will be in Chicago this weekend too but will only have Sunday for fun...the rest is Ms. Jeigh's sisters wedding crap...

• Got some good food recommendations going - any upscale spot I need to check out? Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Would anyone recommend checking out Green Mill w/o an act of interest playing just to check it out, or it isn't like that?

Any necessary stores to check out? Record or otherwise? A few suggestions have been thrown out...

Thanks.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    theres a Korean restaurant on the far north side called Amitabul

Known by some as Uneatable.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Green Mill definitely good no matter who's there (well, generally) - its a bar as much as it is a jazz club. Good atmosphere. Usually cover isn't too bad. And shit, it used to be a Capone speakeasy. Historic.

Pita Inn in skokie is a hike but if you have a car, do it.

Its in the tourist trap area of michigan ave, but uno's really does have incredible deep dish pizza. (Due's is exactly the same as Uno's, a block away, and the lines are shorter)

My friends like House of Sushi and Noodles, 1610 W Belmont, if yr looking for japanese. I guess its not particularly 'chicago' though.

If you want a typical Chicago experience, go to Billy Goats tavern. You might remember it from old SNL episodes. Cheezborger.

Carfagna's a curmudgeon. What did you get that you didn't like?

Marco: Sultan's Market is the place I brought yall before.

For upscale, you should try one of the blingy Greek joints in Greektown, on Halsted.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    oh snap! I will be in Chicago this weekend too but will only have Sunday for fun...the rest is Ms. Jeigh's sisters wedding crap...

sunday would be a good look for me to meet up w/some of the strutset...

yo meaty it's tanner pm me your address cos i wanna stop by and sift phru ya records plus i need taht 7" joe

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Would anyone recommend checking out Green Mill w/o an act of interest playing just to check it out, or it isn't like that?

J*sh, The Green Mill is cool, but unless you can see Terry Callier or someone else of note, I'm not sure it would be worth spending an entire evening there. It's a nice place, but not sweet enough to go just to go. I'd sooner check out whoever is playing at the Jazz Showcase.

I have fond memories of seeing Bobby Hutcherson, Ahmad Jamal, and Pharoah Sanders there. Good times.

is the Velvet Lounge still around or did they tear it down?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Oh yeah I saw Bobby Hutcherson at the Showcase, that was a great show. Can't stand the way the showcase is laid out though.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Oh yeah I saw Bobby Hutcherson at the Showcase, that was a great show.

Were you at the matinee gig a few years ago when he had kids from the audience get up on stage, handed them mallets and play random notes on cue all along the bottom row (in C major)?

That was dope.

oh snap! I will be in Chicago this weekend too but will only have Sunday for fun...the rest is Ms. Jeigh's sisters wedding crap...

sunday would be a good look for me to meet up w/some of the strutset...

yo meaty it's tanner pm me your address cos i wanna stop by and sift phru ya records plus i need taht 7" joe

yao, your pms are off buddy, or it says youre not accepting em. turn em on

• paging we_eat_trains...

What is the best comfort food, rib joint in town?

My girl has a serious sweet tooth, where's the best place to satiate her craving?

Thanks.

• You need to make some time for Mario's Lemonade stand on Taylor Street. It's in Little Italy and around since the 60's. You should be able to check a few off your list with this one. I recommend the Watermelon/Canteloupe mix. Not too far from those Wicker Park spots either.

1068 W Taylor

• Rob_SevierRob_Sevier 150 Posts
    paging we_eat_trains...

What is the best comfort food, rib joint in town?

My girl has a serious sweet tooth, where's the best place to satiate her craving?

Thanks.

There are two Lem's on the southside, very classic bbq joints (bulletproof, cash only, limited menu options). I recommend the hot links, they are the traditional butcher shop style. One's on 59th, the other's on 75th just east of Indiana.

An old Chicago bbq with a bigger, new location is Captain Curt's on Cottage Grove just south of 81st street. Very solid, handcrafted links, very hot sauce, and choice rib tips. It's a little more expensive, but there is a wider variety of menu options and they take credit cards.

For the sweet tooth, two classic Chicago spots come to mind:

One is Blommer's Chocolate Factory, which on a windy day you can smell all over the city. It's at Milwaukee and Des Plaines, just northwest of downtown.

Margie's is an old timey, but legit, sundae shop at Western and Armitage. Cash only.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Don't forget Leon's (right off the stony island exit on the dan ryan) and hecky's (north side, evanston + cabrini green area)

Looking for great sites to see
    good food to eat
    nice neighborhoods to visit
    required places to shop
    and, of course, vinyl spots to hit.

Off the bat, I'm interested in seeing Frank Lloyd Wright's home, eating at Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder Co., maybe revisiting mk, checking out Green Mill, and shopping at Wicker Park.

Any of this stuff not advisable?

good food to eat[/b]

The aforementioned BBQ joints.
    Hot Dougs (www.hotdougs.com)
    Surprisingly, no one has mentioned Carne Asada at Pasadita. A local favorite.
    The classic Chicago diner is Valois on 53rd St. in Hyde Park. The hash browns are recommended.
    Top Notch in the Beverly neighborhood is highly recommended for custom made, hand ground burgers.
    Original Pancake House in Hyde Park. Get the "49'ers" cakes.

nice neighborhoods to visit [/b]
    Pilsen
    Little Village
    Hyde Park
    Bronzeville

required places to shop [/b]
    I'm told that American Apparel and H&M are quite popular.

and, of course, vinyl spots to hit. [/b]
    Meaty Ogre's house?
    There are no stores really worth going to.

Chicago Pizza & Oven Grinder is fairly unpleasant, between the overblown Lincoln Park neighborhood and the crowds that tend to form there during any normal feeding time.

If you must have pizza in Chicago, I recommend Bricks on Lincoln Ave. for thin crust and Lou Malnati's for thick crust. There are three or four Lou Malnati's locations.

Don't forget Leon's (right off the stony island exit on the dan ryan) and hecky's (north side, evanston + cabrini green area)

I only know the Leon's on Cottage Grove. I thought it was okay. It's obviously very popular, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Compared to Curt's, they cut a few corners. Is the one on Stony Island better?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    never been to the one in cottage grove. I really recommend Heckys if yr ever that far north though, I know Hecky and he's one of the greatest.

Looking for great sites to see

I forgot this one. Here's my recommendation: public works. Chicago has some of the best public art. Millenium Park, the Picasso at the Thompson Center, the Chagall mural in the Loop. On a nice day, a tour of these beats a museum.

The Lincoln Park Zoo is free, and frankly a pretty nice zoo. It's also worth checking out the butterfly exhibit at the Notebaert Museum for an extra $3. Then you can walk to Oven Grinders without a hassle.

The Tut exhibit looks dope, but it's a $25 pricetag.