brand new funk!

moonheadmoonhead 28 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
anyone got any tips on new funk bands i should check out??i realy dig budos band, the bamboos and the keystones... anyone got any other tips??

Comments

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    The Bamboos are dope!

I have recently aquired an interest in this "brand new funk" music also.

one of my favorites so far is

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    el michels affair and everything else on the soul-fire daptone truth&soul records... theres the breakestra too.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts
    theres the breakestra too.

Yeah the new Breakestra LP kicks ass! You should also check out The Other Side "(Don't Look Back) Behind The Shack..." on Desco.

• Quantic soul orchestra

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Quantic soul orchestra

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    Quantic soul orchestra

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    you probably already know but

Also their offshoots Whitefield Brothers and the latest group with Malcolm Catto, Das Goldenes Zeitalter. They've got a new 12 out on Jazzman with a track called "Breaking through" -

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

Review from www.beyondjazz.net :

Steadily these guys from Amsterdam have been working themselves to the top of the funk scene. Their sound? Absolutely raw! Monstrous Hammond on top of their hard hitting rhythm-section became Lefties??? trademark sound over the years. After it got a second release in 2004 'Doin The Thing' more or less became their breakthrough track. At least for me. Such a killer! It initially was released two years earlier b/w ???Generator Oil???, a song which tempted Florian Keller to describe it as ???the best Meters track since the Meters???. It???s no secret that the band???s heavily inspired by the heavy New Orleans sound, but mind you: all tracks have been self-penned. Except for the most recent 45. On the back of the ???Organ Donor??? 7??? (indeed, a furious take on DJ Shadow???s well-known..) they kind of mash up ???It???s Your Thing??? by the Isley Brothers and ???Hey Pocky A-Way??? by The Meters. And hell.. ??? I can???t repeat it enough ??? it all sounds so powerful. This music holds and gives you a whole lot of energy. Same for the cleaving organ lead ???Bam Bam???, and amazingly funky guitar slabs on ???Peacock Strut??? and every other track on here - it???s all pure madness!

People who picked up several of their 45???s during the years won???t find anything new on this album (which is the only reason I didn???t rate it five *) except for an astonishing overview of their work which certainly will elicit more than one approving nod & shout! No worries though for people familiar with Lefties as a full-length album with new tracks is said to be released in August 2006. I???m sure Olski is a happy man to have them signed on MPM!
    Don???t sleep on this! If you haven't heard of these cats by now, 'Hutspot' is your chance to catch up with them. I can assure you that you won't be disappointed - at all!

listen here!

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    totally agree with the recommendations already given: breakestra, poets of rhythm, quantic soul orchestra (as well as some other stuff on the tru thoughts label) and lefties soul connection are

• ouweeouwee 50 Posts

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

300 pressed, one of the tuffest recording sessions evarr!!

Didier is the man when it comes to sound, also check out this one, one of the best Funklp's out there:

I still need the 7inches from this album, damn!

and Lefties are the best from the Netherlands, period!

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I reviewed lefties soul connection for a magazine recently and the press release that was included talked about raers!

(Woo, first graemlin posting...)

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    the expressions

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Another good new funk rekkid is that Orgone 7" with a cover of 'funky nasau'

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts
    This is some NuFunk madness right here....

Also check some of the Freestyle Records 45's out of the UK....

B.D.M featuring Stingray Davies

Speedometer... Great version of Beyonce's 'Work It Out'
    aswell as a Meters-ish sounding 'City Strut'

New Masters Sound...

etc, etc ,etc.....

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    LOL, check www.myspace.com/wwwhawkeyedj
    I uploaded a new funk track which will be released in july on 7" on Melting Pot under the name Imperial Breed.

Peace
    Hawkeye

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    I uploaded a new funk track which will be released in july on 7" on Melting Pot under the name Imperial Breed.

Peace
    Hawkeye

wow. i havent heard that on the run before. shit is RETARDED.

• TobiTobi 187 Posts

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    How about Osaka Monaruail? Their latest, live album...

...is definatley the one to get started with. The other studio albums are great JB style funk too, but nothing like their live stuff.
    They've also released a bunch of nice 45s plus they're touring with Marva Whitney!

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra is afro funk fire, and they've been putting out records on Ninja Tune and Daptone for a while. The Che Che Cole 12" is hard to beat.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    How about Osaka Monaruail?

Last time we had one of these threads, the praising of Osaka Monorail prompted me to order the "Rumble'n'Struggle" album, and I must admit I was a bit dissapointed. To me they sound like another batch of JB epigones. Tight playing, but not especially personal. I mean a track like "Jam 1976" is a total "Body Heat" ripoff, complete with clumsy japanese-accented grunts.

I do play it out, cause it works well with a crowd, but I think groups like The El Michael's Affair and The Poets Of Rhythm/Whitefield Brothers are a bit more interesting musically. They seem to be past the mere JB fascination that is the natural starting point for a lot of these groups. The recently reisssued POR debut is a testament to this. Still dope, but not as diverse and consolidated as the later material.

• Rory_TateRory_Tate 16 Posts
    cd only, but Keb Darge's Funk for the 21st Century compilation is pretty

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    Last time we had one of these threads, the praising of Osaka Monorail prompted me to order the "Rumble'n'Struggle" album, and I must admit I was a bit dissapointed. To me they sound like another batch of JB epigones.
    yeah I understand what you're saying and many share this opinion. Which is why I would definately go for the live album. They are very good live band and put on a great show, which is why I recommended the album above. I still dig their studio albums/singles, but the live one is number one imho.

Also if you ever get a chance to catch them live. DO IT!