Dune - David Matthews

Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
who loves this record ? to me it's brilliant...........probably one the best CTI session ever....the music is ominous, dark and it really succeds in bringing the mood of a space epic.....really I think it has nothing to do with the other CTI disco shit it was produced around the same time.........and I didn't know this thing
"....Dune........ turned out to be a commercial fiasco thanks to the imprudence of CTI???s legal management. Since CTI had not secured writer Frank Herbert???s authorization to use his novel Dune as the thematic centerpiece for the album, Herbert filed a law suit against CTI and won, forcing the label to delete it from catalog. For this reason, that magnificent album was never reissued in the USA.........." -Arnaldo DeSouteiro.

Comments

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

here a review I just found

On Dune, Matthews plays at David Axelrod, gettin' conceptual and launching the big beat orchestrations, albeit in a far slicker and less successful manner (the astute will immediately heed the Sanborn Alert.) Another album of value solely for a sample-- "Sandworms" from the "Dune" suite-- and not much else. The second side is entirely insufferable. One can't help but wonder if having Googie Coppola cover Bowie's "Space Oddity" looked much better on paper-- somewhere in the western world, somebody is presently buying groceries to this music. Best to completely avoid the saccharined and weak disco/funk takes on a coupla Star Wars themes. Frighteningly bad

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    the dune side is decent but the other side is gawd awful....i prefer the night flight album on muse....who's down with "east side lady"?

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

here a review I just found

On Dune, Matthews plays at David Axelrod, gettin' conceptual and launching the big beat orchestrations, albeit in a far slicker and less successful manner (the astute will immediately heed the Sanborn Alert.) Another album of value solely for a sample-- "Sandworms" from the "Dune" suite-- and not much else. The second side is entirely insufferable. One can't help but wonder if having Googie Coppola cover Bowie's "Space Oddity" looked much better on paper-- somewhere in the western world, somebody is presently buying groceries to this music. Best to completely avoid the saccharined and weak disco/funk takes on a coupla Star Wars themes. Frighteningly bad

Ahhh... that's better.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

heed the Sanborn Alert

heed the Sanborn Alert

heed the Sanborn Alert

heed the Sanborn Alert

heed the Sanborn Alert

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    thanks for the info on the legal state of affairs...can we have a "I got doubles" graemlin?

I still like the "star wars" breakbeat, was it really a popular tune back in the bronx at the blockparties? I'd like to know..."sandworms" is my shit though, remember it from the cut chemist tape...

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

nah.......I think the first track "Arrakis" is far superior than the "spaceworm" jam that everybody hype so much............

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I still like the "star wars" breakbeat, was it really a popular tune back in the bronx at the blockparties? I'd like to know

Yes, it was.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    i think the "space oddity" cover is dope on here.