New Roots?

33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
the new track is pretty dope IMO.Check the link below. Don't Feel Right Commence the hatt.

Comments

• Very Dope, straight ahead boom bap. Loving the singer's vocals on the hook. Plesantly surprised.

http://www.spinemagazine.com/music/may/theroots/dontfeelright.mp3

• Don't Feel Right

Commence the hatt.

I can't listen to this 'til I get off work but I'll be able to tell how much I like it by the amount of asshurt I hear from the special friends club

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

Don't Feel Right

Commence the hatt.

I can't listen to this 'til I get off work but I'll be able to tell how much I like it by the amount of asshurt I hear from the special friends club

The special friends club is hurting your ass with soundwaves????

• Don't Feel Right

Commence the hatt.

I need to wear aluminum foil on my head sometimes just to get a good nights sleep

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

Don't Feel Right

Commence the hatt.

I need to wear aluminum foil on my head sometimes just to get a good nights sleep

Naw...put it on your ass, man!

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    CO-SIGN. I like it. It's nothing mind-blowing but frankly, fuck mindblowing I just want some good rap that lines up with my kufi-tendecies and I can blast in the club.

I got sent the promo, will the commercial have bonus tracks or whatever?

how many more posts 'till the hateurs come in and break it up?

NOT BLACK ENOUGH!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    shits dope

• Damn, I can't believe there is not hatt yet and this song is subpar at best. Of all the shit that gets hatted on here and there's nothing but love for this?

The hook is wretched, Black Thought comes average, the keys are uninspired - there is nothing stand-out as far as single material.

That being said, ?uestlove's drumming is great on this. Nice boom bap feel there. And the Stevie-ish change-up is a nice touch.

And this is coming from a longtime Roots fan that has been waiting a long time for them to knock one out of the park.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

Maimouna Youssef. i googled her and found this article; apparently she was too black for american idol.

http://www.citypaper.com/music/story.asp?id=8226

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    the song's not bad- but not great. Honestly- I'm finally coming around to Phrenology- good record. "Do you want more" sounds like trash to me now?

• eh, I think Phrenology, for all its in-your-face, 'you thought we were this, well fuck you' posturing is pretty bland. The stand-out cuts came out really disappointing on record after hearing them live for years prior to the release.

"Water" is a great cut live, but boring and self-indulgent on record. "Rock You" has a lot of raw energy live, but on record sounds tired and monotonous. "The Seed," while better live, is still a good cut (on their album and Cody's). It's a shame this wasn't bigger, it was the perfect crossover for them.

Black Thought shines throughout on this one, but the album seems kind of uninspired.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    CO-SIGN. I like it. It's nothing mind-blowing but frankly, fuck mindblowing I just want some good rap that lines up with my kufi-tendecies and I can blast in the club.

I got sent the promo, will the commercial have bonus tracks or whatever?

how many more posts 'till the hateurs come in and break it up?

ok I just heard this, I thought the drums were great, aall the boom bap comments are right on point. If I had to find thing to nitpick it would be the female singing. Otherwise its a really enjoyable track

seriously though, where are my hatteurs?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I thought it was kind of

boooorrringk

But, the drums were knocking and chorus was the only thing that gave it some life. It just sounds pretty formulaic for them.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    Any song with drums that remind me of Hot Wind is a good song to me.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    the drums are what's up with this track. Black THought is cool, and the chorus works.

Solid.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    This is better than I remember anything on the last album being

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    anyone else heard any other tracks from this? I am interested to see if theya re better/worse than this joint.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Yeah...I have to say that I'm definitely not feeling that song. You would never catch me checking for that on any given day. And I'm a Philly cat, one who knows that we can do better than that.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Amazing drums, not impressed otherwise though. "Guns are drawn" from the Tipping point album eats this for breakfast, IMO.

• deluxedeluxe 4 Posts
    I think it's aiight, nothing mind blowing - when it started the drums reminded me of 'Distortion to Static' which is always a good look. but the change up is dope.

Will definitely check for the album when it drops.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I thought it was kind of

boooorrringk

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    I thought it was kind of

boooorrringk

But, the drums were knocking and chorus was the only thing that gave it some life. It just sounds pretty formulaic for them.

Drums are quasi-Melvin Bliss in feel (personally), but the rest of the song is just there - when someone takes the drums and flips a different sample effectively, it may prove to be interesting - for now, it's non-commercial hip-hop by the numbers...

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    ...And I'm[/b] a Philly[/b] cat, one who knows that we[/b] can do better than that.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    ...And I'm[/b] a Philly[/b] cat native, one who knows that we[/b] can do better than that.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    jungle boogie esque change up was good, otherwise too by the numbers.