American Idol - DoUReallyCare?

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I didnt follow this season.critique pleez?

Comments

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Dionne Warwick was a facemelter in more than one sense!

Prince was badass.

The awards for lack of talent were hilarious.

That's all I saw of the whole season.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Prince was badass.

i switched on the tv just in time to see him. i thought it was a spoof at first.

yes. the slow number ruled. i loved the choreography - work those (pony) tails!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I tried. In the end, it was terrible. Every now and then I try to be a "regular" person and do "normal" stuff like this. I need stop and just go ahead a be a freak or whatever I am.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    If this were forty years ago, Taylor Hicks would have been a first-rate blue-eyed soul singer ala Roy Head or Wayne Cochran. But this isn't Hullaballoo in 1966, this is American Idol in 2006, and he's probably going to wind up being the new Michael Bolton. Yikes.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    If this were forty years ago, Taylor Hicks would have been a first-rate blue-eyed soul singer ala Roy Head or Wayne Cochran. But this isn't Hullaballoo in 1966, this is American Idol in 2006, and he's probably going to wind up being the new Michael Bolton. Yikes.

Excellent point. Last night my wife said that Hicks was the first Idol winner who's album she'd buy. I said I'd wait three or four records until he was free of his handlers and could make an album of interesting material.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I said I'd wait three or four records until he was free of his handlers and could make an album of interesting material.

Excellent point. Last night my wife said that Hicks was the first Idol winner who's album she'd buy. I said I'd wait three or four records until he was free of his handlers and could make an album of interesting material.

I get the impression that he's like Joss Stone...both performers are alright as long as somebody gives them some direction, but left to their own devices they might wind up doing the usual Top 40 remix trash. Time will tell. I was watching the preliminary episodes and thinking that if somebody put a Dap-Tones-type band behind Taylor, he'd be hell on wheels. But then again, I remember him referencing Joe Cocker, too, so he could go either way at this point.

• Dionne Warwick and Prince's performances made the rest of this entire TV show completely irrelevant. They reminded us who the real idols are.

(but I'll still watch the next season)

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Based on marketability, I actually think "America" got it right. Now it will depend on who you're marketing too, but Hicks has chops, man. Not to mention that he was much more consistant vocally than McPhee. And not to take anything away from her, but is there any room for another non-descript female Idol winner on the charts? I was feelin' her look, but in terms of having a distinct style, Hicks is was miles ahead of McPhee.

...waiting for Ross to chime in.

I didn't understand what either of his songs were about but

Prince was badass.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts

Kat has pop star looks (for days), but her whole style is 100% musical theatre. What the FUCK was wrong with Meatloaf? Damn, Dude.

Mary J was badass.

Elliot (who I wish had won) had the good sense to fall back.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I was under the impression Simon owned you for life when you signed those contracts

And this again proves the public is actually more interested in the voice than pop star looks... Rueben, Clay and Taylor ALL were almost dissed by Simon from the get-go cuz he didn't think they had the requisite 'look'

But I don't ever watch a whole season of the show, the episodes after the first few are awful...

I was under the impression Simon owned you for life when you signed those contracts

i was under the impression that kelly clarkson didnt really hit it big until after she broke free from simon & co. - im not defending "since youve been gone" but that was fairly quirky for a mainstream American Idol contestant

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

And this again proves the public is actually more interested in the voice than pop star looks... Rueben, Clay and Taylor ALL were almost dissed by Simon from the get-go cuz he didn't think they had the requisite 'look'

Well, Kelly Clarkson broke free but she might have had different contractual obligations given that she was Season 1.

Personally, I can't wrap my head around why Taylor won. I'm glad he did insofar as he was so damn strange in many ways but like...why do we need a Michael MacDonald/Joe Cocker throwback in the world? I just can't figure out who this dude's audience is but apparently someone's wife would buy his album so that has to count for something.

But DigDug: if it was about the voice, than Elliot or Paris would have won this.

But DigDug: if it was about the voice, than Elliot or Paris would have won this.

Well, I didn't follow it like I said. But yeah there are other factors...

Especially when a lot of these folks have every resident of their hometowns vote five times each

But when they said last night that there 'more votes than in any presidential election' for this last episode my stomach turned

But when they said last night that there 'more votes than in any presidential election' for this last episode my stomach turned

I don't know what they're talking about. About 64,000,000 votes were cast on Tuesday.

Bush got 62,000,000 votes in 2004. Kerry got 59,000,000.

Moreover, the 'votes' do not equal voters. Over 100,000,000 individual voters participated in the last election (and per capita, that's low). On Idol, you can vote as many times as you want and there's no restrictions, obviously, based on geography, age or citizenship.

Just to note, 35.4 million people watched the finals last night. Again, that number is big but it's about a third of the number of people who voted in 2004.

I don't know what they're talking about. About 64,000,000 votes were cast on Tuesday.

Okay, maybe they said 'more votes than any presidential candidate has ever received'

Never mind...

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    What the FUCK was wrong with Meatloaf? Damn, Dude.

No shit. He looked like he was dying of some strange tropical disease (and sounded like it too...).

Okay, maybe they said 'more votes than any presidential candidate has ever received'

Never mind...

Yeah, I think that's what they mean and like I said, that's not really a fair comparison. That said, a lot of MFers watch "American Idol".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Anyone else find themselves hitting the thirty-second skip button on the TiVo until Yamin was back on screen? Kid can sing...

I kept thinking to myself, "if only somebody had given Yamin a copy of the SoulSides comp, he could have done the Donny Hathaway version of "Jealous Guy" for his final performance a few weeks back." He would have killed, and it would have been him instead of McBoobs squaring off with Taylor in the final.

I dunno - I think it was clear from relatively early on that Taylor Hicks has some insane crowd of backers rolling with him. I think he appeals cross-generationally plus to those who like the fact that he's just fucking weird.

Elliot Yamin was a much better singer but he was never as performative and didn't really have the "weird" factor going on. I don't know McPhee made it as far as she did except that she was attractive and didn't seem as ditzy as Pickler (not that this is saying much). But they, the logic of "Idol" escapes me constantly.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    McBoobs

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I don't know if this still holds, but I thought when the series first started whoever the winner was would get a 1 year deal with Simon's company, and then they were on their own. Anyone know if this is still the case?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I don't know if this still holds, but I thought when the series first started whoever the winner was would get a 1 year deal with Simon's company, and then they were on their own. Anyone know if this is still the case?

• djcommiedjcommie 31 Posts

Kat has pop star looks (for days), but her whole style is 100% musical theatre. What the FUCK was wrong with Meatloaf? Damn, Dude.

LOS ANGELES -- Remember Meat Loaf's performance Wednesday on "American Idol"? He doesn't.

Meat Loaf has absolutely gripping television stage fright, yet he still performed with Katharine McPhee on the finale.

He said the only thing he remembers is the television people telling him that he had less than two minutes before he went on, and then he was walking off the stage and thought he was going to pass out.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/entertainment/9278704/detail.html

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Damn. I have never watched this show, but my sister kept
    raving about this Hicks dude, and so I checked out this thread
    and just now finally was like "let me check youtube."

I watched dude straight up INSULT James Ingram by trying to
    sing "Just Once" on global television. Sounded like some
    neighborhood karaoke runner-up shit.

No, seriously - check it:

Is this just a bad night for dude? Can somebody show me a clip
    where he sings in key, in time with the muzak and has any kind of
    non-theatric soul? Cause this is hella weak.

PS
    "Just Once" is a song I always wanted to bust out in karaoke.
    If you don't know "The Dude" then you don't know the real.