Grandslam magazine?

maxveritechmaxveritech 87 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
On the topic of magazines (sparked by Wax Poetics discussion), does anyone here know what happened to Grandslam Magazine (nee "Big Daddy") from the UK?I remember as a youngster spending much money on both the mags from my local music store when distribution was limited and I had to pay a highly inflated price for the two, but by god it was worth it!The interviews in the first issue with Keb Darge and Noize were pure gold!

Comments

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    Grandslam, which rose from the ashes of Big Daddy Mag, folded after a few issues, I don't know the reasons why though...

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    go here: http://www.concourserecords.com

I???m a long-time music lover and DJ, and was founder and editor of Big Daddy and Grand Slam magazines. But since Grand Slam folded in late 2004 due to cash flow problems, I???ve been concentrating on my favourite occupation: buying and selling old records.

I???m somewhat cynical and jaded when it comes to new music, especially having waded through towering piles of utter shit while doing the magazines for seven years, therefore I???m not attempting to stock every new release or repress that comes out (or claim that all 30 of any given weeks??? pitiful offerings are essential big tunes, as some online shops do). So unless a life-changing musical revolution unexpectedly takes place sometime soon, I???m only stocking a small selection of new pressings that I genuinely like (or at least can see some musical value in), and am otherwise sticking to the second hand stuff. I???ve been selling on eBay under the name brother*green (which has now changed to concourse*records), but the majority of my stock will now be listed here.

The ultimate aim of the site is to raise enough funds to get a magazine back into print and keep it there. Whether or not this actually happens, an online mag will go live sometime this year.[/b] Other projects on the go include some very limited vinyl releases, the first of which is a Sadat X 12??? promo ??? Why (Lesbien) b/w Lets Be Easy, of which only 250 copies have been pressed.

Cheers,
    George

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    go here: http://www.concourserecords.com

I???m a long-time music lover and DJ, and was founder and editor of Big Daddy and Grand Slam magazines. But since Grand Slam folded in late 2004 due to cash flow problems, I???ve been concentrating on my favourite occupation: buying and selling old records.

I???m somewhat cynical and jaded when it comes to new music, especially having waded through towering piles of utter shit while doing the magazines for seven years, therefore I???m not attempting to stock every new release or repress that comes out (or claim that all 30 of any given weeks??? pitiful offerings are essential big tunes, as some online shops do). So unless a life-changing musical revolution unexpectedly takes place sometime soon, I???m only stocking a small selection of new pressings that I genuinely like (or at least can see some musical value in), and am otherwise sticking to the second hand stuff. I???ve been selling on eBay under the name brother*green (which has now changed to concourse*records), but the majority of my stock will now be listed here.

The ultimate aim of the site is to raise enough funds to get a magazine back into print and keep it there. Whether or not this actually happens, an online mag will go live sometime this year.[/b] Other projects on the go include some very limited vinyl releases, the first of which is a Sadat X 12??? promo ??? Why (Lesbien) b/w Lets Be Easy, of which only 250 copies have been pressed.

Cheers,
    George

Doh! I should have seen that, I've bought from the site several times, he does stock quality stuff...

• Thanks Lamont - very helpful and informative!