LP defective / return policy B.S.

LuckyLaneLuckyLane 35 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
So after reading the recent dub post, I was inspired to purchase the "In Dub Conference V1" LP (thanx) online, new/sealed, from a well-known shop I shall not name as I don???t want to drag anyone???s name thru the mud until it???s resolved.It arrives, I pop it on the turntable, side one sounds like heaven, side two is skipping all over the place. Upon inspection, I notice a bunch of tiny indentations on side two, rendering it useless. The jacket is fine so it???s a production defect, not damage.I email the store asking if I can send it back for an exchange, and am told possibly...the boss is on vacation for now so he???ll let me know when he gets back. However, I will probably be expected to pay their shipping costs to me again, because "There is a good chance that the next one sent will be the same or similar. Jamaican pressings are very inconsistent and that is just how they come pretty much always."I???m not making a stink until the official ruling comes down from the boss, but I???m pretty bullsh*t about this. I don???t think it???s unreasonable for the vendor to stand behind the LP they are selling ??? after all, the fact that they purchase stock from an unreliable supplier is their problem, not mine. I drop $18 for a brand-new item, I expect that it will perform and not be DOA. It???s enough that I have to pay to send it back to them, I don???t think I should have to shell out another $5 on top.Am I out of line about this? Or should I just stake it up to caveat emptor for buying a product produced in a third-world country? Normally I wouldn't get bent outta shape over $5 but this is the most I ever spent on vinyl and I was psyched about the idea of buying more from them...i'm just wicked disappointed.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Jamaican pressings are very inconsistent and that is just how they come pretty much always.

This is basically true, and reissues are notoriously shitty

Some stores that sell them have a policy of no returns for 'jamaican-ness'

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

It's always a gamble buying Jamaican represses sight unseen. I've been disappointed several times. I've started to learn which labels have fairly reliable pressings, and which ones to stay away from. Like Digdug said, a lot of stores have a no return policy on Jamaican represses.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    there are two reissues of that record going around. One is a shitty Jamaican press and the other is a good UK (or German?) press. If you can't straighten it out with your local shop or find a better copy around town, I suggest going to Ernie B's.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    It's always a gamble buying Jamaican represses sight unseen. I've been disappointed several times. I've started to learn which labels have fairly reliable pressings, and which ones to stay away from.

Yeah, the 45s are cheap enough that I'll take the chance... but direct-reissue Jamaican LPs (i.e. not a quality current reish label) I have to hear before I shell out for

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts

It's always a gamble buying Jamaican represses sight unseen. I've been disappointed several times. I've started to learn which labels have fairly reliable pressings, and which ones to stay away from. Like Digdug said, a lot of stores have a no return policy on Jamaican represses.

Yes, but if that is the store's policy, they should say so up front. Disclaimer or something...Most of us have probably bought at a store where they say ALL SALES ARE FINAL, so you know that it is a risk you take. But, if they don't say that, and then claim, "Oh, sorry...its Jamaican," then that's bullshit.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    maybe they're repressing with this technique...

http://gadgets.qj.net/How-to-Pirate-a-Vinyl-Record/pg/49/aid/39381

• LuckyLaneLuckyLane 35 Posts

Yes, but if that is the store's policy, they should say so up front. Disclaimer or something...

Yeah, that's kinda my point. There's no disclaimer about their return policy.
    If it wasn't clear in the post, I bought it online (not a lot of local reggae LP shops in New Hampshire) from a store's website...even tho, even if it was local, I wouldn't have been able to inspect it as it was sealed.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    reissues should only be copped in the form of CDs, after all, you are just getting an LP pressed from a digital master 99.99 % of the time.

That's how I decided to live my life.

But I maaaade up my miiinnnd, I'm keepin my baaaaby. Papa don't preach.