JOBS

z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
This shit is getting old. I've been looking for a job for around 3 months now. This morning alone I've sent out 15 resumes with cover letters. No one relplies, no one acknowledges my existance. I've started applying for shit jobs and telemarketing crap, even most of those dudes don't reply. Been working with 2 temp agencies for 2 years, signed up with 2 more in the last 2 weeks, they give me nothing. I have a BFA and do web/design related stuff, but really don't have experience or much of a portfolio in that field, for the last year or so I've done simple data entry stuff.Any tips?Anyone in the chicago area got any leads?Any wise words of wisdom, encouragement or illegal schemes to get me by?Unemployment can make a man insane.Rob

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This shit is getting old. I've been looking for a job for around 3 months now. This morning alone I've sent out 15 resumes with cover letters. No one relplies, no one acknowledges my existance. I've started applying for shit jobs and telemarketing crap, even most of those dudes don't reply. Been working with 2 temp agencies for 2 years, signed up with 2 more in the last 2 weeks, they give me nothing. I have a BFA and do web/design related stuff, but really don't have experience or much of a portfolio in that field, for the last year or so I've done simple data entry stuff.

Any tips?

Anyone in the chicago area got any leads?

Any wise words of wisdom, encouragement or illegal schemes to get me by?

Unemployment can make a man insane.

Rob

I don't know anything about the market in the field you're in, but consider getting with a recruiter--they can get in doors that won't be open to you.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    If you are doing web design you need need need a portfolio. Nobody will give you a second look without one.

A lot of the web jobs I've seen out there are 6 months to perm OR temp. Not much inbetween. A lot are on the ASP/coldfusion/PHP/database side of things.

Oh and if you're looking on monster.com, a lot of companies have slaves there that troll for fresh resumes. So if you update your resume (just change a single word and save it) it will pop up in their searches. Otherwise you'll sink below the surface of newness and they won't see you.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts

I don't know anything about the market in the field you're in, but consider getting with a recruiter--they can get in doors that won't be open to you.

damn, not the type of response I expected from you, but much appreciated! I've tried that route, but have been turned away do to lack of a strong portfolio. One of the temp agencies above is not actually a "temp" agency but a employment finder dealing specifically with design, so far they have been little help. But this is an road I need to explore further.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Oh and if you're looking on monster.com, a lot of companies have slaves there that troll for fresh resumes. So if you update your resume (just change a single word and save it) it will pop up in their searches. Otherwise you'll sink below the surface of newness and they won't see you.

I got my last two jobs from HotJobs and Monster, respectively. Both times, I was contacted by headhunters/recruiters based on an old resume I had posted on those sites a few years before. I got the first job in March and was subsequently hired away from it in August. So I wholeheartedly endorse posting your resume--for free--on both of these sites.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I also emphasize the importance of a good portfolio in our field. When I was at my last job and we needed to hire a graphic designer, I could care less about the resume; I wanted to see the applicants' work online. It's essential that you have an online portfolio ready for employers to look at immediately. That said, it probably was no coincidence that the best portfolios were usually accompanied by an equally impressive resume, whether it was a tastefully designed PDF file or just a text-only email.

And I can't stress this highly enough:

GET YOUR SPELLING, PUNCTUATION AND GRAMMAR STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU SEND ANYTHING!

Nothing says "this guy's incompetent" like a few misspelled words in the first paragraph of your cover letter. Especially in the design field where a mistake on a printed piece can mean $1000's of dollars that your employer has to eat in reprints and lost clients.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Also.... on top of a killer portfolio...

Use and cultivate contacts! How business gets done, seriously.
    Figure an angle for yourself that sets you apart from the pack.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I was out of work for several months last year, and I got my current job because the HR rep at my girlfriends job knew the HR rep where I work and that they were looking for someone. Its all about who you know. Tell everyone you know you are looking for a job, and have them tell everyone they know.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    good tip on updating the monster resume.

I guess the thing is, I can't really work on my portfolio if I'm spending all day writing cover letters for "sales" jobs so I can eat a meal. Freelance web stuff is not hard for me to come by, but I need a check. I've also got burned on 2 freelance things in the last 3 months that fell through after a lot of effort put in my me. Oh, and unlike my soulstrut posts, I do spellcheck my resume.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I guess the thing is, I can't really work on my portfolio if I'm spending all day writing cover letters for "sales" jobs so I can eat a meal.

1. Understood, but nobody wants to hear excuses as to why you don't have a portfolio ready. They'll just hire someone who does.

I've also got burned on 2 freelance things in the last 3 months that fell through after a lot of effort put in my me.

2. Always get a 50% deposit upfront. If a client can't pay 50% now, how are they going to pay 100% later? I do the same for any "for hire" DJ gigs.

Oh, and unlike my soulstrut posts, I do spellcheck my resume.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    This shit is getting old.

Unemployment can make a man insane.

i'm in chicago as well and have been looking...stay at it and don't just take any terd of a job. i get a lot of calls and don't even respond because i'm stubborn...sounds obvious but try craigslist if you don't already.

networking is effective but i can understand if you're not thrilled about calling some random paulsy to let them know you're looking for work.

good luck

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I've been a web designer, an illustrator, motion graphic designer and a creative director at various agencies over the past 7 years - your portfolio and how you carry yourself in an interview are the two most important things.
    Having an online and emailable portfolio and CV is the least we'd expect from someone who was serious about a design career.

Aside from looking for jobs, mail people at companies whose work you respect and admire. Nothing goes further than an enthusiastic attitude and using some self-initiative!

Good luck on your quest. Keep us updated.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    thanks for the responses dudes.

just saw this listing on craigslist, sounds perfect.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/etc/163678137.html

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts
    Some knowledge being dropped here. Sounds like some really good advice, take that shit to heart and good luck finding a job.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    good tip on updating the monster resume.

I guess the thing is, I can't really work on my portfolio if I'm spending all day writing cover letters for "sales" jobs so I can eat a meal. Freelance web stuff is not hard for me to come by, but I need a check. I've also got burned on 2 freelance things in the last 3 months that fell through after a lot of effort put in my me. Oh, and unlike my soulstrut posts, I do spellcheck my resume.

With that in mind, I would start e-mail around asking to do work pro-bono. Just ask companies you respect if they "need anything." It helps you make more contacts and hone your skill. I know this one graphic artist in Chicago who did that and is now doing very, very well...

www.electricheat.org

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Yo Rob Z_illa, I feel you. The graphic design field has to be one of the most cut-throat fields. I didn't sweat finding a job too much after leaving my last graphic design 9-5, but after a few months I was feeling bored so I gave it a shot. I made calls, sent emails, and answered ads. In about 2-3 weeks time I landed my current job (doing Admin work and almost no design, but with lots of room for growth/possible design in the future..great company, great benefits...unfadeable!). Anyhow, I think it also helped that I was looking for something more than just pure design, so I answered administrative jobs and jobs in marketing, etc that most designers aren't considering.

Other tips:

1. talk to everyone you know and everyone they know...jobs are hiding

2. professional resumes and cover letters are key. don't waste anybody's time with filler or errors

3. online and print portfolio (and or design samples), no doubt!

4. talk the talk, walk the walk (duh)

5. THANK YOU CARDS/NOTES/FOLLOW-UP. These are key, and I'm betting most interviewers aren't sending these. They leave a strong impression about you and remind the employers you're still thinking about them, no ayo. They cost $5 from the drugstore and will help get you in for the 2nd interviews, etc.

6. strong references

Holler if you need help once you start interviewing, too.

Get this book...$10 from any used book store:

^^^ Didn't save my life but definitely sheds some insight on finding a job. Reveals the fact that most jobs are not going to be found online, but I'm sure this varies based on the type of profession.

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

5. THANK YOU CARDS/NOTES/FOLLOW-UP. These are key, and I'm betting most interviewers aren't sending these. They leave a strong impression about you and remind the employers you're still thinking about them, no ayo. They cost $5 from the drugstore and will help get you in for the 2nd interviews, etc.

does this actually work? i ask this in the most naive way possible, because i've heard this mentioned a thousand times. the only time i ever sent a thank you note was for my current job, because i couldn't thank them in person after the interview, and i've never had a problem getting a gig (i work in biotech/academia though). is this standard practice, because i would feel a bit uncomfortable as an employer receiving thank you cards from candidates, when i already have a hard time remembering their name (and as a sender, i would feel self-concious this would come off as sucking up)?

i always thought it was the

6. strong references

and connections that made the man, but i might want to stock up on the hallmark.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Thank you notes won't land you a job if you aren't qualified but if there is an equally qualified candidate against you and they sent one, it may put them over the edge.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

does this actually work? i ask this in the most naive way possible, because i've heard this mentioned a thousand times. the only time i ever sent a thank you note was for my current job, because i couldn't thank them in person after the interview, and i've never had a problem getting a gig (i work in biotech/academia though). is this standard practice, because i would feel a bit uncomfortable as an employer receiving thank you cards from candidates, when i already have a hard time remembering their name (and as a sender, i would feel self-concious this would come off as sucking up)?

i always thought it was the

6. strong references

and connections that made the man, but i might want to stock up on the hallmark.

No, don't send a card but do send a thank you letter. It really does set you apart. I was able to read all the resumes and coverletters that people sent for the position I ultimately got and most were very generic. Your skills are what really get you the job but you have to put force that little bit of effort when employers are on the fence about who they want to hire.

My advice, don't apply to every job you find. Select the ones you're really qualified for and sell yourself hard. Make a good impression. Brush you teeth. Comb your hair and show up on time. Bring back up copies of your resume. A reference list. Letters of recommendations. Character references. When you bust open your brief case and have all this it really impresses people.

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    What is the consensus on emailing a thank you? I did this a few weeks ago for a job after my roommate said she had heard somewhere about this being ok. After sending the notes my roommate then said she wasn't sure whether or not this was acceptable and did not recall where she heard it. In the end I got offered the job, but it left me wondering for the future (since I declined the job).

Thank you notes won't land you a job if you aren't qualified but if there is an equally qualified candidate against you and they sent one, it may put them over the edge.

That's what I'm thinking. It also shows you are considerate.

And yo, I don't think there's anything wrong with a thank you letter, card, note, or email. It's just a way of saying "thank you." I say play it by ear, but in my opinion it's just another strategy to keep yourself in the running.

My advice, don't apply to every job you find. Select the ones you're really qualified for and sell yourself hard. Make a good impression. Brush you teeth. Comb your hair and show up on time. Bring back up copies of your resume. A reference list. Letters of recommendations. Character references. When you bust open your brief case and have all this it really impresses people.

TRUTH!