KING OF DIGGING (Another Toronto Show Thread)

2»

Comments

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    Another odd thing I noticed at the show was the intensity with which people scrutinised the condition of my $3 jazz records. They were there bucks a pop! Come on! I got the sense that if I had been charging $10, no one would have cared so much about whether they were VG+ instead of NM.

...and the ironic thing is Danno...all of your records were MINT. So if someone didn't buy them, they were definitely zzzzzzzzzzz. King of Digging didn't even buy that Donny Hathaway after all the bookworm research, cuz i did at the end of the day!!! Strange guide that breaks book. Must have read "really great album...but no samples you would like" as the description.

Thanks again for the stack at the end of the show. Much appreciated, and the beer I promised is definitely still in the fridge waiting for you.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    yo son! CALLING ALL JAPANEESE DUDES WHO BUY RECORDS "MURO" IS A REALLY GOOD FUCKING LOOK!

MMM..OKAY! O'RLY! BARRAGE OF GRAEMLINS!

JUST START CALLING EVERY BLACK-DUDE WHO BUYS RECORDS "SOULMAN" AND EVERY LATINO DUDE DIGGING "SUPREME"

Point taken, Young Guzzo Most. But I hope we can still call every Black dude who digs overpays for Latin records "Reynaldo."

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    As we've already read in several posts, the Toronto show was tonnes of fun. I got to meet many new strutters and nerd out with old friends. A highlight was having a table beside the one and only Beatdawg, whose crates were filled with next level Japanese heat and, of course, ILL DRAMA STABZ RARE. Much respect. Sadly missing was Soufriere, whose table I appropriated for my extra crates.

The show was made particularly noteworthy by the presence of the King of Digging. The King and I spent a good fifteen minutes determining who sampled the records in my three dollar crates. Fortunately, we were aided by his sample guide. It was such an illuminating experience that I was only a little miffed when, after all our time together, he decided not to anything. This feeling was slightly offset by the satisfaction of his book demonstrating that no, I hadn't lied when I claimed that Tom Scott and Donny Hathaway had been sampled. Here is a little photographic essay.

yo son! CALLING ALL JAPANEESE DUDES WHO BUY RECORDS "MURO" IS A REALLY GOOD FUCKING LOOK!

JUST START CALLING EVERY BLACK-DUDE WHO BUYS RECORDS "SOULMAN" AND EVERY LATINO DUDE DIGGING "SUPREME"

Honestly, I think Danno just dropped that title on dude randomly.

• tuneuptuneup 586 Posts
    one thing does need be said....the king of digging is friendly....which is more than can be said of many record buying people. Pretty well everybody was easy to deal with at this show.......

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Another odd thing I noticed at the show was the intensity with which people scrutinised the condition of my $3 jazz records. They were there bucks a pop! Come on! I got the sense that if I had been charging $10, no one would have cared so much about whether they were VG+ instead of NM.

welcome to t-dot.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

Apologies; I wasn't thinking of Muro or that the guy was Japanese. "King of Digging" was only meant to be ironic.

• Yeah, I had to wonder what was up with this guy when he took 25 minutes scrutinizing my $5 copy of Gil Scott-Heron 'Midnight Band'. He actually spun the record manually for a good 5 minutes on my dead portable until I had to tell him to just buy the thing so he could go listen to it at the right speed.

It was real nice to meet a bunch of Strutters and a big thanks to Danno3000 for hooking me up with that amazing Chiapas record.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

tender cheeks

• Options

tender cheeks

You mad, Puppy?

K.