QUESTIONS FOR YOUSE EBAY SELLERZ

Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Do you do better with your ebay action when you post records during a certain time of the day, or on a certain day? (this is the question I really am curious about more than any of 'em... I've found that auctions ending midday during the work week get more action, but it would be waaaay more convenient for me to post schitt up late at night or on the weekends)Do you think your starting prices significantly affect how much interest you get for your records?How important do you think it is to have pics for your auctions?How about sound clips? (personally I think those damn soundclips are a pain in the arse and not worth the trouble... never saw much of a difference whether I supplied sound or didn't)Of course, in the end I think it comes down to whether or not you have records that people want, but I want to know if any of youse other seller dudes think that other factors really make a difference in how much dough you end up getting. I'll bump this up again during the week because I reeeeeeeaaaaally want to hear responses from every single person who has ever sold on Ebay- past, present or future. I value your opinion and will follow your wisdoms. THANK YOU.

Comments

• Gday Phil,

Don't know if you remember me, but ages ago when I was a student I spoke to you about an article for a student newspaper in Australia about records!

Anyhow, back in the day when I used to sell a lot of stuff on Ebay, I'd keep in mind the target audience and when it'd finish for them. Being in Australia but having a target market made up largely of Americans and Europeans - I'd always wait until about 10pm my time which was early morning in the states and late afternoon in Europe. That way people who are at work and have internet access can check on auctions as they're winding down, giving my auctions the most time to be bid on by prospective buyers.

In my experience, pictures are good - but probably the best thing to sell a record is a detailed description. I also found dropping a little knowlege or background information helped with auctions - people like knowing they're dealing with someone who knows their stuff!

I hope this two bits of information help you with record selling success!

cheers
    max

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    I think its mostly about having quality records for sale that people want to have. Iv never paid attention to the time of sales or when I post an action. Good marketing thoughts though.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Sunday is the biggest eBay traffic day. If you don't sell on Sundays, you diss yourself Phill!

• Phill, once you figure out the best time to sell you records, don't worry about actually listing them at that specific time. I'm not sure if you can do this when using regular Ebay itself, but if you use Turbo Lister to get your auctions ready(info,prices,etc), you can then select a later date and time for them to be posted and it will do it for you.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Phill, once you figure out the best time to sell you records, don't worry about actually listing them at that specific time. I'm not sure if you can do this when using regular Ebay itself, but if you use Turbo Lister to get your auctions ready(info,prices,etc), you can then select a later date and time for them to be posted and it will do it for you.

What kinda charges are we talkin' bout for this Turbo Lister? I'm already getting raped by Ebay and Paypal as it is, and I am a cheap bastard, you know (which is why I've never really looked into Turbo). Probably would make life a lot easier, though.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Phill, once you figure out the best time to sell you records, don't worry about actually listing them at that specific time. I'm not sure if you can do this when using regular Ebay itself, but if you use Turbo Lister to get your auctions ready(info,prices,etc), you can then select a later date and time for them to be posted and it will do it for you.

What kinda charges are we talkin' bout for this Turbo Lister? I'm already getting raped by Ebay and Paypal as it is, and I am a cheap bastard, you know (which is why I've never really looked into Turbo). Probably would make life a lot easier, though.

Turbo Lister is a free program you can download off ebay. Automates a lot of the listing process.

• Phill, once you figure out the best time to sell you records, don't worry about actually listing them at that specific time. I'm not sure if you can do this when using regular Ebay itself, but if you use Turbo Lister to get your auctions ready(info,prices,etc), you can then select a later date and time for them to be posted and it will do it for you.

What kinda charges are we talkin' bout for this Turbo Lister? I'm already getting raped by Ebay and Paypal as it is, and I am a cheap bastard, you know (which is why I've never really looked into Turbo). Probably would make life a lot easier, though. [/quote

It's free, man. It's great if you are liting a lot of stuff..which you probably are. It will save you time and it has a few extra useful options.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I start my auctions early in the week and usually in the am (pacific time), that way it's still regular hours in Europe (afternoon to early evening) and Japan (early evening to midnight).

US bidders will get in where they fit in, but they are such a small minority for what I sell it's not really worth catering to them - plus everyone sets their snipers anyway.

I don't like auctioning on Sunday. I don't know where the traffic stat comes from but a lot of people bid from work, and the last day of your auctions being Saturday afternoon/evening means you're not getting as many last minute lookers.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I agree. I don't like having things end on the weekend.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I start my auctions early in the week and usually in the am (pacific time), that way it's still regular hours in Europe (afternoon to early evening) and Japan (early evening to midnight).

US bidders will get in where they fit in, but they are such a small minority for what I sell it's not really worth catering to them - plus everyone sets their snipers anyway.

I don't like auctioning on Sunday. I don't know where the traffic stat comes from but a lot of people bid from work, and the last day of your auctions being Saturday afternoon/evening means you're not getting as many last minute lookers.

having auctions end at 4AM European time is

---

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Turbo Lister is a free program you can download off ebay. Automates a lot of the listing process.

Cotdamn, all this time I been Ebayin' and ain't know that schitt was free! I'm so paranoid about spending an extra buck that I never even investigated it. Thanks for the info, it will certainly impove my Ebaying experience. Schitt's gettin' ready to be very