Plans For Rekkid Shelving

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I know. I could design one but if plans are floating around, why not make it easier? I want to roll to the home depot and hook it up. I'm over the towers of rickety, creaking milk crates. I could get plans for a basic shelf and adapt it but the less work, the better. If you know of any specifically for records let me know.

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    good timing. i just finished designing some modular shelving units and i should have a prototype in about a month. my dudes, hold on...these are gonna be super grown and sexy. i'm trying to compete with ikeas pricing, but it doesnt look like its even remotely possibble. i'll post more about them when the design is finalized. i think soulstrutters will make a perfect focus group.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    i'm trying to compete with ikeas pricing, but it doesnt look like its even remotely possibble.

Well, Ikea is some particleboard bullshit, I'm assuming you're talking about actual hardwood right?

That would certainly be more expensive (but probably worth it)

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    you can have my plans, they are deceptively simple. i use 12" wide pine boards, straight from home depot. they are basically 3/4" thick. you gotta sort thru many till you get the truly straight ones. they do cost some $ but with this plan you are saving big over ikea.

if you can:
    a. accurately measure and mark
    b. operate a circular saw
    c. operate a power drill
    d. sand edges
    then you can do this.

note that UNLIKE the expedit, this plan makes a unit thats a little narower than records, they will stick out a bit. if you dont want that, invest in WIDER boards (much more expensive, generally you must cut them out of 1" plywood as they really dont make readymade pine boards that are over 12" (and these 12"s are really 11.5" ish)

these plans are malleable, but below is the basic unit, approx 4' wide and 6' tall. if thats too tall or not wide enough, simply adjust measurements/wood requirements. One thing thats not negotiable is the 13" of internal space per shelf. (you can increase that but decreasing it will mean slightly oversize records and box sets etc will get pinched.)

you need 6 x 4' long pieces - so you buy 3 x 8 and cut them perfectly in half, making sure theyre all excatly the same length. these make the shelves.

then you need 2 x 69 1/2" pieces for the sides (again, increase if you want more than 13" per internal shelf height - i have low cielings so i had to be tight.)
    these 2 pieces are easily cut out of 6' boards (72") (use the whole 72" and remeasure the interior hights to gain some breathing room)

next you need 5 x 13" (or longer if you want taller shelves) pieces for the center brace pieces. these all can come out of one more 6' piece (13"x5 = 65")

therefore your total pine board needs per rack of this size are:
    3x8'
    3x6'

plus, you may want a back panel, depending if you want to go ikea style (open back) or not. i use 1/8" masonite, cheap as hell and easy to cut with the circular saw. (everything gets cut with the circular saw, get earplugs and eye protection unless youre feeling frisky.) the back panel masonite sheet is optional but recommended if you want something to 'stop' the records from sliding in)

now assemble the sides, tops and shelves with 1 1/2" drywall screws (up to 2" if your feeling accurate), use the 'long tooth' ones so they bite into the wood nice. note the side panels go on the outside of all the shelf/top+ bottom pieces. note you cant just screw the drywall screws into hard wood, you gotta use a small drill bit to drill pilot holes, then switch to phillips head and sink the screws. (usually back and forth many many times; i have 2 power drills, one with the phillips one with the tiny drill bit) this gets a bit tedious but once the rack starts firming up youll realize how cool it will be.

the 13" pieces i add at the end with 1 1/2" brads (thin nails). i just lay the unit down, wedge them in and eyeball them just get them straight as possible so the rekkids stand up straight. pund the nails in good and re-do it once its standing up again at then end, as you dont want a stray nail head popped up to tear up a record cover.

then add the back panel (after cutting it to fit the dimensions of the 'box' 69.5" x 49.5" in this case), and tack it on with more brads or short drywall screws.

flip it over, get some rough sandpaper and sand all edges. its tedious but do this well - think of your rekkit covers screaming as you jam them on a sharp corner.

finished product:

if you need "feet" use 2x4s or bricks, the weight of the rack will keep it from wobbling, but its probably best to have these up against walls.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Thanks karlophone . Thats tight. I might use your design, or alter it a little bit. Not sure yet. I have a few more ideas. I could make interchangeable boxes like four crates in a square, but made of wood. Make a bunch of them, mix, stack, and match.

I want to see shelves, batches. Ones you made, post em up.