Full Sail

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
what do you yall know about it? worth it or not? financial aid/loans available? Any (former) students on the Strut? Going on 27 yrs old and still no career..I am starting to look at this place a little more seriously. I really know dick about it..but I see ads in mags. Is it a scam type school or can something good actually come out of it? All info appreciated.

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    I know a guy who went there. He is smart with this shit. But he has no job.

You can go down and visit the place. Its cool.

My other friend starts there next year.

Shit is mad expensive though.

• I know a guy who went there. He is smart with this shit. But he has no job.

You can go down and visit the place. Its cool.

My other friend starts there next year.

Shit is mad expensive though.

yeah..how much is it? I just know its really high. do they have financial aid?

• i am not sure about full sail but i think the ones in NYC are under 20k, dont quote me on that though. you might want to look into SAE and IAR to compare prices and specs. I have friends in both, from what they tell me SAE is more tech'd out (you get issued some sort of MAC laptop etc,) but IAR is the o.g i guess, with more depth and industry ties and better placement? All in all you gotta be a good engineer or you're goin nowhere.

p.s am i the only one in the room who is shocked to learn this guy is almost 27????

• p.s am i the only one in the room who is shocked to learn this guy is almost 27????

why? because I am 27 and trying to get my shit together(better my life) and accomplish something? Sorry I am not a 18 yrs old with parents that will pay for college.

or did I misunderstand what that comment meant?

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

p.s am i the only one in the room who is shocked to learn this guy is almost 27????

I was taken back by it a bit. I was thinking 16-21

• p.s am i the only one in the room who is shocked to learn this guy is almost 27????

I was taken back by it a bit. I was thinking 16-21

and why the fuck was that,Doc?

• mang the best advice I can give you is that fullsail won't give you anything you don't already have inside you. You're still going to need hustle, connections, etc. to work in freelance audio/video/software production. The biggest problem with fullsail kids from what I've seen is they're lazy and the program doesn't make them work too hard (to say the least).

Plus the price tag on fullsail is crazy high (what, 35k/year?) for what you get. If I were you I'd get a BA and then tack on some courses. If you want to get schooled in Logic or Final Cut just take some courses in that for a few K$ max. I have a BA in computer science and it's done more for me than an associates or certificate program would have.

However I know one doud on the board who went there and is doing alright in THE BIZ. I don't want to out him, so I'm sure he'll speak up if he sees this thread cuz we've chatted about this very subject before.

Oh and I'm your age (26) and still don't have a career or anything. So don't let anybody get you shook about that. Still plenty young. I'm back in school going for my MA looking for that next step, still feel clueless half the time tho if you know what I mean. The average american has 2.5 careers in his/her lifetime.

• mang the best advice I can give you is that fullsail won't give you anything you don't already have inside you. You're still going to need hustle, connections, etc. to work in freelance audio/video/software production. The biggest problem with fullsail kids from what I've seen is they're lazy and the program doesn't make them work too hard (to say the least).

Plus the price tag on fullsail is crazy high (what, 35k/year?) for what you get. If I were you I'd get a BA and then tack on some courses. If you want to get schooled in Logic or Final Cut just take some courses in that for a few K$ max. I have a BA in computer science and it's done more for me than an associates or certificate program would have.

However I know one doud on the board who went there and is doing alright in THE BIZ. I don't want to out him, so I'm sure he'll speak up if he sees this thread cuz we've chatted about this very subject before.

Oh and I'm your age (26) and still don't have a career or anything. So don't let anybody get you shook about that. Still plenty young. I'm back in school going for my MA looking for that next step, still feel clueless half the time tho if you know what I mean. The average american has 2.5 careers in his/her lifetime.

thanks for the advice..damn 35k a yr huh? I thought it was 20K for some reason. yikes.

• It might be 20k.... I think you pay by the course.

Are you local to me?? orlando?

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    a good friend of mine went to Full Sail in the 90s...lived in south america for a while interning/working in studios, now he's here in nyc doing live sound for broadway/off-broadway productions.

i started SAE in NYC when i was 27...i loved being back in school, and i was doing it part time in the evenings, while working a corporate job during the day.

now i'm interning...i love it and i'm learning a lot but it's a pretty long haul until i start getting really paid. and no matter how good the school is you really don't learn much until you start getting some real world experience. but you still gotta go to school.

i say just be honest with yourself about what you want to get from this. if you go to the school tours they are going to tell you everything you want to hear to get you to sign up and get your money, they'll say, oh yes, this is the best decision you'll ever make and oh yes, you will be overwhelmed with job offers when you are done.

what they won't tell you is that these schools are churning out mediocre engineers by the ton and that studios are closing left and right and that there really aren't that many jobs out there.

so ask yourself, are you going to school to get a job in the recording/production/post-production field, or are you going to further your knowledge and to help with your home productions? if it's the latter, IAR sounds pretty good, they are more hands on training and more geared towards helping you with your own projects.

if you want technical training to lead to a job in a studio, SAE is a little better and gives you a more rounded education.

if you want to go into post-production, you might be better off getting some sort of communications degree and a pro-tools certificate.

sure, at the end of the day you can learn a lot of this stuff at home but you'd be surprised at what you aren't learning...and what you may be doing wrong. these schools are legit, they just aren't really the most lucrative investments in the world. it's also hard work, so if you do indeed finish the course, you can feel pretty good about your chances in the field. out of my class only two of us finished!

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    Honestly I don't know much about Full Sail, so I can't tell you about the school. I went to the Conservatory Of Recording Arts and Sciences here in Tempe. I went in straight out of High School in 99. It's honestly one of the best experiences I've had. It is true, like others said, that you could learn alot on you own, but there is alot of stuff they teach you that you wouldn't be able to learn unless you were lucky enough to have a good engineer take you under your wing. But the school is what you make of it. I noticed alot of people went to the school thinking it would make them a rock star. But just like anything in the music business you have to hustle your ass off. I run into alot of people that went to the school and as far as they have gotten is working at guitar center. After I graduated I did a short internship, then got into post production, and radio production, not exactly what i wanted to do but i'm making money doing what I went to school for. It's not a waste of money unless you make it a waste. I was a pro'lly lucky cause I was younger and I was able to take a few unpaid internships also. I wouldn't know half the shit I know if it wasn't for the school..

..and just to add..there was a 2 year waiting list when I went, but they got a new second campus open in Gilbert. and one thing I liked about the Conservatory is that classes only had a maximum of 12 people.

http://www.cras.org/

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    as a working freelance engineer, i would say dont waste your time with fullsail. its up to around 40k now, and thats gonna take you a loooooooooong time to pay back. there are not that many jobs out there in this field and its only getting worse. people want video editors before they want an audio engineer, thats a fact. im starting to learn video for that reason. everyone thinks they can do audio now since protools is so cheap, or they can buy some other program, it doesnt matter.

its gonna take you YEARS to get a career going, and even longer to get paid. i mean, what do you know about it now? how much engineering knowledge do you have already? that might influence it a little, but for real, if you just sitting at home with an mpc and some turntables, i wouldnt waste my time. like CPR said, those schools are churning out tons of mediocre engineers and they are flooding the market. i have heard countless stories of kids who went to fullsail only to come back home and do nothing with there degree. the ones that are still doing something are doing it on a very small scale.

not to toot my own horn, but i didnt go to a recording school to get my career. i did it the old fashioned way, interned, bought some gear, interned, trained with a pro, bought some more gear, learned at home, interned, worked loooooooong hours at 3 different jobs, etc and got further than any fullsail cat i know. not that i know the school at all, im sure its a great place, but you gotta be the right person to make it happen, the school is not gonna do it for you.

i would try interning at a local studio for a few months, see what you can learn that way, before you spend more than you will make in the first 2-3 years of your engineering career on an education you end up not using.

also, get some type of recording program to start messing with and learn some basics. it will help you a lot if you have soime clue as to what they are talking about in the studio when you get there.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    lucky enough to have a good engineer take you under your wing.

to clarify, this happened to me and i would not have been able to do what i am doing without this happening. school would have been the only other option. i was actually thinking about going a long time ago, but ended up on the path i am on now.

• EscalanteEscalante 197 Posts
    lucky enough to have a good engineer take you under your wing.

to clarify, this happened to me and i would not have been able to do what i am doing without this happening. school would have been the only other option. i was actually thinking about going a long time ago, but ended up on the path i am on now.

I was lucky to intern at a small busy studio that one of the teachers owned. I was able to get alot of hands on experience right away, and run alot of my own sessions. A couple friends of mine went to bigger studios and ended up cleaning and running errands...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I thought this was going to be another beer thread.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Everyone I've heard from that has gone there has said that it's only good for the hookups and even then that's drying out with all the studios closing.

• damm,40 G's a year..sorry..but no thanks. It was just an option I was thinking about..but that($$$) pretty much ended that idea. I guess I am sort of in this phase of wondering what the fuck I want to/can do for some kind of career. I am sure as hell am not getting any younger.

• all these fools are speaking the truth. you can do it, but its definitely gonna take you many years to get going in this career. obtaining internship which gives you actual hands on experience will do more for you than the $40,000 a year schooling. i've taken a bunch of classes for audio engineering and found that i learned way more at my internship. best of luck.

• I thought this was going to be another beer thread.

Um what the hell I thought this was going to be another
    Loggins & Messina thread.

• damm,40 G's a year..sorry..but no thanks. It was just an option I was thinking about..but that($$$) pretty much ended that idea. I guess I am sort of in this phase of wondering what the fuck I want to/can do for some kind of career. I am sure as hell am not getting any younger.

You know about the little cuz going down there. Whats he doing NOW you might ask, well. Working 3 restaurant jobs, paying somewhere in the neighborhood of $400+ a month for loans, and other financial aid. Has a little studio in his apt that he makes garbage indie rock no one gives a dog shit about.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    there's mos definatly something to be said about being debt free...

$40k a year is retarded no matter how you look at that.

my wife owes like $28k still on her education... unbelievable.. 30 years old and you gotta still be paying for what you are basically told "is the greatest decision of your life" (goin to college).

i was lucky.. only got my BFA and was glad to be done with school.

paid the loan off fast.

but man it was still like close to 10k... that's alot of money to be owin on a peace of paper.. a freakin art school undergrad degree???

if you wanna do something you'll find away to do that thing whether you get a peace of paper somehow approving your ability to do said deed.

listen to mesh.. dude speaks truth.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    as a working freelance engineer, i would say dont waste your time with fullsail.

people want video editors before they want an audio engineer, thats a fact.

everyone thinks they can do audio now since protools is so cheap, or they can buy some other program, it doesnt matter.

if you just sitting at home with an mpc and some turntables, i wouldnt waste my time.

those schools are churning out tons of mediocre engineers and they are flooding the market.

CO-SIGN!

As a [whisper] fullsail grad [/whisper] don't waste your time. I spent most of the time half asleep due to the 1am-5am labs. One thing that irked me was that I had recent grads (4 months) as lab instructors. What the fuck do they know about "Real World Education"(fullsail tagline). As they say "not a good look". If you are just looking to work freelance or maybe get a gig @ a small local studio do what mesh said and DIY. Start from the bottom up and LEARN. I can't agree enough w/ mesh. These schools pump out a lot of lazypotheadtrustfundIwannamakeitinthebiz type kids. At the same time it's all up too YOU. If you don't hustle, you don't eat. Learn every program you can. I went to school for audio, but I can run an avid adrenaline, final cut, after-effects, DVD studio pro...The more skills you posses the easier you are to market.

I've been very lucky (w/ lots of hard work) over the last 4 years. The overwhelming majority of people I know that went to school for recording are stuck @ a desk, doing construction, car porter, selling herb, or still living off mommy and daddies $$$$. With that said I NEVER would have got my 1st gig was it not for the school I attended. I had an interview @ HBO a month before I graduated. 2 months later I became their 1st & last intern. Everyone on the floor resented me for the 1st few weeks because I was a paid intern. All of these dudes had been doing this for 8+ years and here come this newjack fresh out of school (In the end we all ended up going to the strip club when we got laid off 2 years later) I would've spent years trying to break into a place like that. So yeah the "piece of paper" does help. In the 4 years since I graduated I've been able to work @ a major cable & network level doing sound design & post, work w/ a Grammy award winning engineer & artist, run a small protools school, & do consulting work for small studios. Hopefully the next step is as a predator @ Univision (interview this week).

So yeah it's expensive...but I got some good jobs and paid it off. Now I'm 25 work out of my own house and charge clients $45 an hr so I can use protools so I'm pretty happy.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I though this was going to be a thread about beer...

• AlGarthAlGarth 353 Posts

• Tuff_GongTuff_Gong 627 Posts
    I guess this is just kind of backing up what the others are saying, but... I didn't go to Full Sail, but instead to Middle Tennessee State University and got my Bachelor's in what the call "Recording Industry". It's the same type of thing as Full Sail though; you get experience in studios, learning how to work consoles, learning about recording, etc. It was a bit more involved in that you had to learn about the industry as a whole by taking classes in copyright law, legal problems of the recording industry, basic music theory, history of the recording industry, etc. Bottom line though is my emphasis was Production & Technology, which means I was learning audio engineering. The other emphasis they offer is Business, which is for people heading down the path of management, running a label, etc.

Anyhow... I graduated in 2001 and it was just in time for the recording industry to go in the shitter. The problem with going to some place like Full Sail is that jobs in the industry are drying up and it's getting more competitive than ever. Studios are going out of business left and right thanks to the proliferation of cheap home recording gear that can give you recordings near pro quality.

I was in a similar situation to you. I was 27 when I graduated so I know all about feeling the pressures of age and feeling like you need to do something with your life. I did what was in my heart and got my recording degree and I don't regret doing it at all, but the realities of the business have kept me from bothering to give it a shot. Oh, it's entirely possible you might be able to do the hustle and make something happen, but the recording industry is especially cut-throat. The guys that are already at the top and have the good jobs don't want to give it up, and like I said the jobs are drying up, not expanding. You're gonna start out at the bottom as a glorified errand boy, working for peanuts and not having any benefits or insurance. In the recording industry you're basically an independent contractor so even if you get jobs it's likely you'll never have benefits or insurance unless you pay for it yourself. Recording (and entertainment in general) is a high risk/high reward business, but the truth is that most people don't reap the big rewards.

The other truth is that there are people who make it all the way to the top in the business without a lick of schooling. It's not a field where a college degree or any degree of any sort really gets you much. It's much like a trade and all that matters is experience. Rick Rubin made something out of himself and he didn't go to a recording school or anything. You'll be out $40k or whatever Full Sail costs working a job where you'll be lucky if you'll see $20k a year. Full Sail is basically a factory for recording dudes and the truth is that certificate doesn't really make you any better qualified than a lot of other people out there.

Like somebody else said, video is really where the industry has gone as of late. With the boom in DVD sales that's the hot market right now, and DVD authoring is really where the money's to be made. Really, if you're wanting to find a "career" and try to make something of a stable life for yourself it really isn't the way to go unless you're REALLY dedicated to it and are willing to claw and scratch for everything like your life depends on it, because your life WILL depend on it. Fewer and fewer jobs that everybody wants. If you don't feel like doing that (I didn't, that's why I didn't get into it after I graduated) then you might want to find something else that's perhaps a bit more stable for the future.

But as far as Full Sail itself...it seems awfully expensive for what you get. I mean, honestly, I have a Bachelor's degree to show for my schooling and not only do I think I'm probably every bit as educated about recording as anybody coming out of Full Sail would be I was only paying about $2000 a year to go to school. Even across 4 years that's still a hell of a lot cheaper than what Full Sail wants. There's other options out there as far as recording if that is indeed what you want to do that won't cost you nearly as much as Full Sail.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

I was in a similar situation to you. I was 27 when I graduated so I know all about feeling the pressures of age and feeling like you need to do something with your life. I did what was in my heart and got my recording degree and I don't regret doing it at all, but the realities of the business have kept me from bothering to give it a shot. Oh, it's entirely possible you might be able to do the hustle and make something happen, but the recording industry is especially cut-throat. The guys that are already at the top and have the good jobs don't want to give it up, and like I said the jobs are drying up, not expanding. You're gonna start out at the bottom as a glorified errand boy, working for peanuts and not having any benefits or insurance. In the recording industry you're basically an independent contractor so even if you get jobs it's likely you'll never have benefits or insurance unless you pay for it yourself. Recording (and entertainment in general) is a high risk/high reward business, but the truth is that most people don't reap the big rewards.

The other truth is that there are people who make it all the way to the top in the business without a lick of schooling. It's not a field where a college degree or any degree of any sort really gets you much. It's much like a trade and all that matters is experience. Rick Rubin made something out of himself and he didn't go to a recording school or anything. You'll be out $40k or whatever Full Sail costs working a job where you'll be lucky if you'll see $20k a year. Full Sail is basically a factory for recording dudes and the truth is that certificate doesn't really make you any better qualified than a lot of other people out there.

Really, if you're wanting to find a "career" and try to make something of a stable life for yourself it really isn't the way to go unless you're REALLY dedicated to it and are willing to claw and scratch for everything like your life depends on it, because your life WILL depend on it. Fewer and fewer jobs that everybody wants. If you don't feel like doing that (I didn't, that's why I didn't get into it after I graduated) then you might want to find something else that's perhaps a bit more stable for the future.

R E A L T A L K !

I'm agree with everything you just said in your post...EVERY single word.

I currently intern (i.e., errandboy) for a smallish house/R & B music label while working a steady 9-5 desk job in order to pay the bills...and can sadly report with 99.9% certainty that my apprenticeship will not lead to anything remotely substantial careerwise in the future.

It's that .1 percent that keeps me going, though...futile, to say the least.

SG