san jose record spots...

beirutbeirut 14 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
my sister recently moved out there, so that gives me an excuse to fly out every once in a while and do some diggin' out there. can someone hip me to some spots? thanks in advance.

Comments

• beirutbeirut 14 Posts
    bay area heads, come through

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    paging the yay area, I tried some thrifts and did okay

there's always Telegraph and SF

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Streetlight, Rasputin, and Big Al's Record Barn all on S. Bascom.

Some barber, too.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    my sister recently moved out there, so that gives me an excuse to fly out every once in a while and do some diggin' out there. can someone hip me to some spots? thanks in advance.

you should take highway 17 down to santa cruz at hit up Logos...my favorite local spot. they're a few more but they're on the hush.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    For the most part all the heat that is in San Jose is at ******* ***, ******'*****, and ****** off of **** ****.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

Some barber, too.

the barbers name is Ken and he doesnt have anything good anymore.

streetlight and rasputins are beyond wack to me but supposedly people keep finding records at these places. guess you gotta live there or be on beginner diggin status.

big als is cool if you have a lot of time and know a lot about music. i suggest the rock section to run through because they throw shit in there all the time. running through the soul section will bore you like it has me for the past 10yrs.

there are some thrifts that are cool but youll have to find those on your own. mostly because i dont know the names of them or what street theyre on. i only know how to drive to them (i know this sounds weird but thats the honest truth).

thursday is the time to go to the flea market. get there early enough to start running through because there are other record nerds there.

thats about it...

you can make your way up to san bruno or san francisco and have a lot more digging or like someone said you can run down to santa cruz for their thrifts and record/book stores.

• which flea market in San Jose? Aren't there a couple? I went to one a while back and all they sold was cheap stuff from China. It was like an alternate universe Wal-mart in Spanish.

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts

Some barber, too.

"the barbers name is Ken and he doesnt have anything good anymore."

this is true to an extent, when he does buy a collection however there are records there at decent prices after he takes the early doo-wop stuff for his collection out. Regardless he's a cool guy to check in on from time to time[/b]

"streetlight and rasputins are beyond wack to me but supposedly people keep finding records at these places. guess you gotta live there or be on beginner diggin status."

I'm not so sure of the 'gotta live there' it's more like you have to know the people that work there. There are records to be scored at both spots, they are just kept behind the counter for some reason, also from what I hear, there is a big cache in the backroom at Streetlight that they have even yet to go through. They are trying to thin the other stock first?[/b]

"big als is cool if you have a lot of time and know a lot about music. i suggest the rock section to run through because they throw shit in there all the time. running through the soul section will bore you like it has me for the past 10yrs."

True on both points, BUT believe it or not Al has actually been going through some of those many boxes from the attic lately and putting them out. Look for the pink price tags, those are all the new ones, the down side is the pink tags are full price while the rest of the stock is still 50% off. (hint: check the misc boxes M,S,T etc.. it's the lazy way they re-stock)[/b]

"there are some thrifts that are cool but youll have to find those on your own. mostly because i dont know the names of them or what street theyre on. i only know how to drive to them (i know this sounds weird but thats the honest truth)."

there are some good thrifts, the key with those like most towns, is persistence. No real secrets, grab a phone book and look for Goodwill, Salvation Army, Savers etc...[/b]

"thursday is the time to go to the flea market. get there early enough to start running through because there are other record nerds there."

there are 2 flea markets, The Berryessa Flea Market has a couple people in the southeast parking lot that sell records, I got some semi-decent psyche records from some Lesbians a few weeks back, but most of the flea is new-crappy shit from China, you can buy beer from a golf cart though.

The other is the Capitol Flea Market which is my preference, it's on the soutside of San Jose at the old Drive In. It's hit or miss but always better than Berryessa.[/b]

"you can make your way up to san bruno or san francisco and have a lot more digging or like someone said you can run down to santa cruz for their thrifts and record/book stores."

truth[/b]

• sindiansindian 68 Posts
    I knew OneSoul would be up in this thread. Thanks again for the digging info when I came out last.

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    I knew OneSoul would be up in this thread. Thanks again for the digging info when I came out last.

Yo A**n, what up homie?

Not a problem, I don't mind sharing some spots, i still have persistance and knowing the people on my side.

-B-

• sindiansindian 68 Posts

Yo A**n, what up homie?

Not much, man. How ya been? You still spinnin at Johnny V's?