Speaking of babies (Name Related)

mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/18/us/18h...agewanted=printMay 18, 2006And if It's a Boy, Will It Be Lleh?By JENNIFER 8. LEEChances are you don't have any friends named Nevaeh. Chances are today's toddlers will.In 1999, there were only eight newborn American girls named Nevaeh. Last year, it was the 70th-most-popular name for baby girls, ahead of Sara, Vanessa and Amanda.The spectacular rise of Nevaeh (commonly pronounced nah-VAY-uh) has little precedent, name experts say. They watched it break into the top 1,000 of girls' names in 2001 at No. 266, the third-highest debut ever. Four years later it cracked the top 100 with 4,457 newborn Nevaehs, having made the fastest climb among all names in more than a century, the entire period for which the Social Security Administration has such records.Nevaeh is not in the Bible or any religious text. It is not from a foreign language. It is not the name of a celebrity, real or fictional.Nevaeh is Heaven spelled backward.The name has hit a cultural nerve with its religious overtones, creative twist and fashionable final "ah" sound. It has risen most quickly among blacks but is also popular with evangelical Christians, who have helped propel other religious names like Grace (ranked 14th) up the charts, experts say. By contrast, the name Heaven is ranked 245th."Of the last couple of generations, Nevaeh is certainly the most remarkable phenomenon in baby names," said Cleveland Kent Evans, president of the American Name Society and a professor of psychology at Bellevue University in Nebraska.The surge of Nevaeh can be traced to a single event: the appearance of a Christian rock star, Sonny Sandoval of P.O.D., on MTV in 2000 with his baby daughter, Nevaeh. "Heaven spelled backwards," he said.Among the many inspired by Mr. Sandoval's appearance was Jade San Luis, who named his first daughter Nevaeh two years later. "It felt original," said Mr. San Luis, 26, of Cerritos, Calif. "Now, not anymore."Today Mr. Sandoval is introduced to and photographed with baby Nevaehs all the time. His own Nevaeh, now 6, skateboards and, when introduced, pipes up that her name is Heaven aspelled backward. Does she understand the meaning of heaven? Mr. Sandoval replied, "She knows that is where her grandmother is."

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Heaven backwards? isn't that like naming your kid Hell?

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    The surge of Nevaeh can be traced to a single event: the appearance of a Christian rock star, Sonny Sandoval of P.O.D., on MTV in 2000 with his baby daughter, Nevaeh. "Heaven spelled backwards," he said.

Hard to believe a stupid trend started on MTV.....

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I saw this earlier. A girl I worked with named her daughter neveah. I thought it was kind of odd. Whats next. "We named our kid dog, it's god backwards".

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Elvis Jagger Abdul Jabbar

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that backwards biblical shit is kind of Satanic.

Like when the dog from Omen 3 (or whatever) says, "Nema" instead of "Amen" or how the Bible of Hell has an upsides down crucifix.

Spooky!

I know a lady who worked in a hospital and when a new mother heard the word placenta while giving birth she thought it would be a perfect name for her baby. It took a Dr. and several nurses to convince her otherwise.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I know a lady who worked in a hospital and when a new mother heard the word placenta while giving birth she thought it would be a perfect name for her baby. It took a Dr. and several nurses to convince her otherwise.

thats just nasty.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

thats just nasty doubtful .

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

nosmo king ?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Like when the dog from Omen 3 (or whatever) says, "Nema" instead of "Amen" or how the Bible of Hell has an upsides down crucifix.

Spooky!

EVOL!

eno on ma i

It was never presented to me as a race thing, but hell who knows, it could very well be made up.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Spooky!

EVOL!

eno on ma i

AAAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

damn, that photo just creeped me out.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    LOL... i'm dyin over here!!

Names reported to have resulted from misinterpretations of the written word:

Asshole (ah-SHOL-ee)
    Clitoris (cla-TORE-us)
    Enamel (EE-na-mull)
    Female (fuh-MALL-ee)
    Gonorrhea (gu-NO-ree-ah)
    Lemon Jello (le-MON-juh-lo)
    No Smoking (NAWS-mo king)
    Orange Jello (or-AN-juh-lo)
    Pajama (PAH-ja-mah)
    Shithead (shaw-THAYD)
    Syphilis (suh-PHYL-lis)
    Testicles (TESS-tic-clees)[/b]
    Urine (u-RIN-ee)
    Vagina (va-GEE-na)

Names reported to have resulted from overhearing an unusual but flowery-sounding term:

Chlamydia (kla-MID-e-ah)
    Eczema (EX-suh-ma)
    Latrine (la-TREEN)
    Meconium (muh-CONE-knee-um)
    Placenta (pla-SENT-a)
    Urea (YUR-ee-ah)
    Vagina (va-JAI-na)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

It was never presented to me as a race thing, but hell who knows, it could very well be made up.

"This legend is not strictly told of African-Americans; white Southerners are also sometimes cast in the starring role."

Regional bias.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    "Heaven spelled backwards"

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    There was a girl in my girlfreinds grade named "Candida Green" - no shit!
    I saw it written in the year book with my own 2 eyes.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BTW, what did anthonypearson end up naming his baby and did any strutter win the baby naming contest?

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

BTW, what did anthonypearson end up naming his baby and did any strutter win the baby naming contest?

My daughters name is Chantal and someone did win. I cannot remember who it was now but i PMed him 5 times and never heard from him.

Anyway dude, where ever you are, thanks for the name.

ap

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Binaca

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    ALL HAIL BABY KRAMDAR, COPYRIGHT 2006 WONDER SHOWZEN

• ALL HAIL BABY KRAMDAR, COPYRIGHT 2006 WONDER SHOWZEN

that's pretty.

• ALL HAIL BABY KRAMDAR, COPYRIGHT 2006 WONDER SHOWZEN

that's pretty.

Thats funny, we just named our cat Chauncey. I name i had chosen for our son, that wifey shot down (not wonder showzen related, only conincence).

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Thats funny, we just named our cat Kramdar. A name i had chosen for our son

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    By the way "Clarence's Special Report" and "Cooperation" saved this season. "Horse Apples" damn near ruined it.