Sylvers vs DeBarge Attack of the Jackson Clones

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
The Sylvers/Fosters/Leon/Edmund/DynastyvsDebarge/El/Chico/WhiteHeat/Smash/SwitchWho you got and why?Both families have decent catalogs and are Jackson clones. or

Comments

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    DUDE BOTH! Pending what years in the 80's it was Debarge and in the 70's it was the Sylvers though Foster's LP is over rated except for the 1 TRACK... SO the winner is:

5 STAR!!!!!!!! All Fall Down & Let me be the one! was the JOINT!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DUDE BOTH! Pending what years in the 80's it was Debarge and in the 70's it was the Sylvers though Foster's LP is over rated except for the 1 TRACK... SO the winner is:

5 STAR!!!!!!!! All Fall Down & Let me be the one! was the JOINT!

LoL. Yeah that was hot. What about HI-FIVE.......

Bobby Debarge was doin his thang in the 70 to the 80. SWITCH is that shit.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

wait I meant

Umm well..

or could it be...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    SWITCH is that shit.

Where are all those Sylvers 2 & 3 lovers at.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Where are all those Sylvers 1 &[/b] 2 & 3 lovers at.

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    if "only one can win" as far as jackson 5 clones... i'm definitely gonna have to go with the sylvers on this one.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Yeah for real the debarge family and the burkes have got some nice tunes but on the whole sylvers' pride catalogue is better than most music

• Osmonds -Crazy Horses

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Those are some astonishingly white teefuses.

I've been wanting to have a "DEFINITIVE SYLVERS" thread for a while now. To me, the thing about those first few albums is the arrangements and production.
    [nerd]Little things like how they used the glockenspiel and harmonies underneath the verses of "I Don't Need to Prove Myself" (Sylvers II), and the overall vocal and string arrangements make those first records for me.[/nerd]

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    Technically the Debarge family is part of the Jackson family at one point in time, (Janet Debarge), so that would mean the Sylvers would win by default because of this???.

So it should now be: The Best of the Jackson Family Clones:

5 Star is holding down the UK

How about other contries???

SWITCH is that shit.

Bobby Debarge > Edmund Sylvers

Technically the Debarge family is part of the Jackson family at one point in time, (Janet Debarge), so that would mean the Sylvers would win by default because of this???.
    So it should now be: The Best of the Jackson Family Clones:

The Sylvers did the voices of the Jackson 5 Cartoon.

One of them did, anyway (according to the closing credits, it was Edmund, I think).

One of them did, anyway (according to the closing credits, it was Edmund, I think).

Fosters did Michael.

I've been wanting to have a "DEFINITIVE SYLVERS" thread for a while now. To me, the thing about those first few albums is the arrangements and production.

And the words! Even Foster Sylvers' hit, "Misdemeanor," has some intelligent lyrics for a teenybopper record ('specially when his older sisters chime in: "it's just another setback in his life...""...like when you get your first ticket for illegal parking"). If anything, Leon Sylvers III dumbed himself down when he and the family went to Capitol. From "Fool's Paradise" to "Boogie Fever" in three short years is one hell of a fall.

And the words! Even Foster Sylvers' hit, "Misdemeanor," has some intelligent lyrics for a teenybopper record ('specially when his older sisters chime in: "it's just another setback in his life...""...like when you get your first ticket for illegal parking"). If anything, Leon Sylvers III dumbed himself down when he and the family went to Capitol. From "Fool's Paradise" to "Boogie Fever" in three short years is one hell of a fall.

True, but Leon did his thing for Shalamar/Solar records once he moved on.
    And he produced Janet Jackson's first album(another connection).

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Absolutely - I was actually thinking that same thing while driving the other day.

"Cry of a Dreamer"?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Absolutely - I was actually thinking that same thing while driving the other day.

"Cry of a Dreamer"?

Whenever I see their late 70's Capitol releases, I wanna vomit all over them.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    > most any other "family" soul album I can think of.

POST DELETED[/b]

nothing sordid, folks, i just accidentally clicked on the wrong thing and sent a duplicate of this other post

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

AGREED!!!

Who knew these mormon Jackson clones could be so funky???

Who knew these mormon Jackson clones could be so funky???

It helped that the Osmonds' J-5 imitations were recorded at Muscle Shoals...

(And when I interviewed Solomon Burke a few years ago, he said that when he was recording for the same label as the Osmonds, the record company boss had him "coach" the guys so they could get those soul inflections down.)

Damn, I thought they were about to break into "Boogie Fever", judging by the intro. Talk about clones. I watched the Donny & Marie Show religiously.

• The Sylvers did the voices of the Jackson 5 Cartoon.

What about The Sylvers CARTOON???!!

At least according to Biz it exists....

What about The Sylvers CARTOON???!!

• [self-promotion]

Back in August I did a mix of kiddie soul in connection with a column I wrote for the Fader. It includes about 20 solid minutes of music by the Sylvers, starting around the 36:00 minute mark. I'm especially proud of that portion.

You can download the mix at my website or here.

[/self-promotion]

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    [self-promotion]

Back in August I did a mix of kiddie soul in connection with a column I wrote for the Fader. It includes about 20 solid minutes of music by the Sylvers, starting around the 36:00 minute mark. I'm especially proud of that portion.

[/self-promotion]

I fucking loved this mix. Kept me going during the final days of my thesis.

prop circles to you sir

• [self-promotion]

[/self-promotion]

I am bumping this really old thread to say I really like Matthew Africa's Twee Funk mix!