lp plastics

edited May 2006 in Strut Central
Peace........I was wondering what kind of plastics do you guys use to protect your record covers.2mil POLYETHYLENE3mil POLYETHYLENE4mil POLYETHYLENEIf i'm going by price I'll go for the 2mil, but I need the one that will last a long time and protect my covers.BK....................1

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    welcome.

I use the Japanese sleeves they use in the store DISK UNION, they are way supreme to the Australian or US Sleeves that I've had before. If you know someone in Japan, they can go to the Audio Acessories shop in Shinjuku and buy up bulk for cheap. Otherwise they give you free sleeves everytime you buy a record out there. I had about 5,000 of them, but could only bring 500 home. The rest got thrown in the bin...

peace.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Yeah, if Sheep's talking about those clear mylar sleeves with the resealable flap, those are best for your records 'cos they don't have the harmful chemicals that eventually leech into the cardboard sleeves like the poly bags do.

That said, I like the poly bags for ease of use (those resealable flaps are a bitch if you listen to your records with any regularity), plus they're miles cheaper in the USA than mylar. The 3 mils do the trick for me.

• PEACE..........

Thanks for the info!!!!!!! Why could you only bring back so little of your plastics?

BK.................1

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    PEACE..........

Thanks for the info!!!!!!! Why could you only bring back so little of your plastics?

BK.................1

I had to ship those back, and 5,000 of those things is MAD MAD heavy.

Yeah, I'm talking about the ones that aren't resealable. They are thicker and clearer than the sleeves I see in the US or Oz. I'll post a pic.

peace.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    they don't have the harmful chemicals that eventually leech into the cardboard sleeves like the poly bags do.

I ain't heard of that.

Can someone expand?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    they don't have the harmful chemicals that eventually leech into the cardboard sleeves like the poly bags do.

I ain't heard of that.

Can someone expand?

yeah really, am i poisoning my babies?

I ain't heard of that.

Can someone expand?

Here's a quickie rundown from a comic book site - couldn't find anything more specific this quickly, but at least it's a corroboration:

Care must be taken when choosing materials for storing your comics. Many common items such as plastic bags, boards, and boxes may not be as safe as they seem. Some contain chemicals that will actually help to destroy your collection rather than save it. Always purchase materials designed for long-term storage, such as Mylar type "D" sleeves and acid-free boards and boxes. Polypropylene and polyethylene bags, while safe for temporary storage, should be changed every three to five years.

a href="http://www.freecomicbookday.com/new_storage.asphttp://www.freecomicbookday.com/new_storage.aspbr />

I ain't heard of that.

Can someone expand?

Here's a quickie rundown from a comic book site - couldn't find anything more specific this quickly, but at least it's a corroboration:

Care must be taken when choosing materials for storing your comics. Many common items such as plastic bags, boards, and boxes may not be as safe as they seem. Some contain chemicals that will actually help to destroy your collection rather than save it. Always purchase materials designed for long-term storage, such as Mylar type "D" sleeves and acid-free boards and boxes. Polypropylene and polyethylene bags, while safe for temporary storage, should be changed every three to five years.

Should we, as record dudes, really be taking advice from comic book dudes?

I'm just asking.

Those guys are much further down on the food chain and therefore more prone to lame collector type paranoia.

Here's another nonscientific corroboration:

please note: do not be misinformed. polypropylene and polyethylene bags are NOT acid free. many manufacturers state on their packaging that they are. this is simply not true, it is "acid free from the manufacturer". the only true acid free sleeves are Mylar. if you plan on using Polypropylene bags for archival purposes we recommend changing them every 4-6 months. know and trust your supplier.

a href="http://www.sketchyorigins.com/comics/archive/index.php?t-5477.htmlhttp://www.sketchyorigins.com/comics/archive/index.php?t-5477.htmlbr />

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Here's another nonscientific corroboration:

please note: do not be misinformed. polypropylene and polyethylene bags are NOT acid free. many manufacturers state on their packaging that they are. this is simply not true, it is "acid free from the manufacturer". the only true acid free sleeves are Mylar. if you plan on using Polypropylene bags for archival purposes we recommend changing them every 4-6 months. know and trust your supplier.

a href="http://www.sketchyorigins.com/comics/archive/index.php?t-5477.htmlhttp://www.sketchyorigins.com/comics/archive/index.php?t-5477.htmlbr />

yeah but this dude says to change every 4-6 months. that other dude said 3-5 YEARS. WHO ARE WE TO BELIEVE?

seriously though, i had no idea these sleeves could damage the covers. but i guess i do seem sometimes some of the color from the cover smudged on the plastic sleeve...

I'm just asking.

Those guys are much further down on the food chain and therefore more prone to lame collector type paranoia.

Depends on how much you care about the longterm effects of bag chemicals on your CTI raers, but the "science" of mylar being safer vs. poly bags is probably sound.

I'm just asking.

Depends on how much you care about the longterm effects of bag chemicals on your CTI raers, but the "science" of mylar being safer vs. poly bags is probably sound.

I don't doubt it--I'm just wondering what the magnitude of the possible risk is.

I'd like to hear from anybody that's observed any kind of long-term harmful effects.