Who has "Life And Death In GA" (both versions)???

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
This is bugging me. I know Abaco Dream released a version on A&M in 1969, and that is said to be Sly & The Family Stone in disguise.Two years later, there was a version on Stone Flower by "Joe Hicks". I have heard neither, and even looking at the label scans for both, they tell me nothing: Who has them, and are they two completely different versions? Same version with different vocal tracks?

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Pretty sure Marco's got another (retitled?) cover of it too...

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    if those are the two versions you don't know, which version do you know?

there is a latino version of it on pye records. maybe even a 12".

• maocontentmaocontent 559 Posts
    completely different versions. abaco's is an uptempo, live band recording. joe hicks' is more along the lines of 'there's a riot goin on'-styled dustedness.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I'm pretty sure the Joe Hicks version is indeed some dude named Joe Hicks, and not as good as the Abaco Dream version.

Love Childs Afro-Cuban Blues Band did a disco version on the OUT AMONG 'EM ALBUM.

Then Chairmen of the Board did a heavy psychedelic version (with really long intro complete with mellotron) on their Invictus album from 1974 which I don't have and don't recall the name of. It also appeared in pieces on these two 45s:

Invictus 1263 - Life & Death / Live With Me, Love With Me - 1974
    (a-side is the main part of the tune)

Invictus 1268 - Everybody Party All Night / Morning Glory (Instrumental) - 1974
    (b-side is a portion of the long extended intro)

The Chairman version was also comped in its entirety on the REALLY HEAVY SOUL collection on Union Square a few years back.

I'm pretty sure there's at least one or two other versions. Did Little Sister do one?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    completely different versions. abaco's is an uptempo, live band recording. joe hicks' is more along the lines of 'there's a riot goin on'-styled dustedness.

Makes sense, considering what did come out of Stone Flower as well. Thank you for that.

EDIT: For years there has been rumors about a tentative Sly box set, but with the state of Sony (and arguably the state of Sly himself), no one has heard of anything since.

I am not sure if things are as complicated, contract-wise, with Sly as it is with George Clinton, where everybody owns the masters but him.

Perhaps it is something to look into.

I bring up those two specific records because they were released close to each other (within a two year period), and never hearing them, I had wanted to know if they were one and the same, or totally different. Now I want to hear the Abaco version.

I'm pretty sure there's at least one or two other versions. Did Little Sister do one?

Not that I'm aware of, but I now have an opportunity to ask, so we'll see.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    the abaco dream copy has a pretty kinky b-side. synth rock break funk stezo. as brits would say "weird gear".

the abaco dream copy has a pretty kinky b-side. synth rock break funk stezo. as brits would say "weird gear".

Which I read about in an online article earlier today, coincidentally. The A&M 45 was reissued twice, one as is with both A-and B-sides, the other being b/w "Dynamite". I'd like to hear that too.

That's right, Michael Jackson owns part of the publishing to Sly's stuff.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

Indeed. Incidentally this track "Cat Woman" was also featured on David Holmes' BBC Essential Mix.

As a side note, I have both a regular issue of the Abaco Dream 45, as well as a promo copy that has "Cat Woman" on both sides. Odd to think that "Cat Woman" was ever considered the a-side.

Indeed. Incidentally this track "Cat Woman" was also featured on David Holmes' BBC Essential Mix.

As a side note, I have both a regular issue of the Abaco Dream 45, as well as a promo copy that has "Cat Woman" on both sides. Odd to think that "Cat Woman" was ever considered the a-side.

I was forced to download "Cat Woman", although it was from that David Holmes CD so it has crap all over it.