Microkorg vs. Alesis (Synth-strut related)

SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
MICROKORG 4 voices 2 oscillators + Noise Generator 2 envelope generators 2 LFOs 1 multimode filter Effects: Modulation effects (3 types), Delay (3 types), Equalizer Vocoder= 8 bands Arpegiator 128 programs 37 mini keys + Battery operated (6xAA)VS ALESIS MICRON8 voices 3 oscillators 3 envelope generators, 2 LFOs 2 multimode filters Effects: Reverb, Delay... Vocoder= 40 bands Arpegiator 500 presets / 400 user / 250 patterns / 200 drum rythms 37 keys + Sequencer (step/rhythm) + 24-bit balanced I/O + compatible with big programs (Ion)We all know which one LOOKS better, but which is actually more useful for production. Specifically for MIDI control on a PC, and also can be used LIVE without a Laptop. Any of you strutters use this stuff?- spidey

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    I've heard good things about that Korg, but the minikeys prevent me from taking it seriously (I like to noodle on the keys (pre-emptive AYO!).

The Alesis also appears to have more features.

SG

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    i use my microkorg all the time and am happy w/it... a lotta stuff for the price, sometimes wish it had more/better presets, but if you fuck around with it, you can get some great sounds.. i've used it live and it's pretty dependable... can run on batteries, too.. i've never fucked with an alexis and can't tell you bout it, but im curious...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    How easy is it to edit presets on the Microkorg? Also, how easy is it for you to create your own sounds? Did it come with any PC software to go with it?

According to many people on Harmony Central. The BIG disavantage of the ALESIS MICRON is the MAIN KNOB.

- spidey

Does that cost about $300?

- spidey

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Yeh, that's the big problem with a lot of these synths. You sacrifice functionality for the lower price. I personally enjoy a large-ish interface with plenty of controls and regular-sized keys.

One small synth that I was very impressed with was the low-priced and extremely portable Nord Micromodular. Along with the PC/MAC modular software and an external MIDI controller, you could basically create an infinite amount of programs. However, one big downside of it was the limited polyphony (1-note on most standard programs).

SG

• crossingscrossings 946 Posts
    both of those synths are great... but have rather limited midi control. they don't really make gear with both things (sound AND midi) in mind anymore... seems to be usually one or the other. i know you said you want both live sounds AND midi, but you honestly need to figure out which feature is more important to you... and if it's midi, then just go with this:

KORG - microkontrol

...and NOT something by M-Audio. the oxygen 8 breaks quicker than a b-boy on amphetamines.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    both of those synths are great... but have rather limited midi control. they don't really make gear with both things (sound AND midi) in mind anymore... seems to be usually one or the other. i know you said you want both live sounds AND midi, but you honestly need to figure out which feature is more important to you... and if it's midi, then just go with this:

KORG - microkontrol

...and NOT something by M-Audio. the oxygen 8 breaks quicker than a b-boy on amphetamines.

ick. are you serious? THos dinky little keys? those fake ass mpc wannabe pads? and no internal sounds?

guys, save your money up and get a real keyboard. get an older used one. Like a proteus of something, dont buy that junk. microkorg is okay for bass, but other than that i doubt you will be using the vocoder much. the alesis is straight up techno. forget about it.

well.. he said he wanted something to control midi and didnt wanna spend over $300.

i'm just trying to make suggestions within his budget. the korg midi controller is a LOT more solid than the m-audio ones everyone buys... so i dunno about "dinky keys"... and the MPC didn't invent drum pads. so no need to hate. and yeah, it's not a full-size keyboard, but a lot of us just want something that fits on a desk. did you not notice the size of the synths he was asking about?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    :liljohn:
    well.. he said he wanted something to control midi and didnt wanna spend over $300.

i'm just trying to make suggestions within his budget. the korg midi controller is a LOT more solid than the m-audio ones everyone buys... so i dunno about "dinky keys"... and the MPC didn't invent drum pads. so no need to hate. and yeah, it's not a full-size keyboard, but a lot of us just want something that fits on a desk. did you not notice the size of the synths he was asking about?

lol, but thats not a synth. i used to have one. i just think its damn hard to get expressive on those calculator type keys. Id go with the m-audio ones. the new ones they got that have weighted keys and shit are dope and prolly cheaper than that old korg.

RIF

1) i know it's not a synth, it's strictly a midi controller... i mentioned that in my first post.
    2) i've had m-audio... they're made like crap and break easily. i mentioned that too.
    3) i think he'll actually just be fine with the first choice... the microkorg synth. deep down i think that's what he really wants, but just wanted a second opinion.

• i can't speak on the quality of the sound b/c i'm sure any other software/hardware manufacturer can emulate the same sound, BUT i can speak on those korg keys. i'm not a keyboard player but i got annoyed by those keys very quickly in the store. i havent messed with the alesis at all. best thing to do would be to go to a shop and try them both out. the units should be readily available to demo. if you still can't decide, rent the one you think you'll like more for a few weeks and then buy it if you like it. many shops will credit the rental towards a sale too.

Yeah... the decision was not for me. Personally, I'd just choose more guitar effect pedals.

- spidey

• JpegJpeg 20 Posts
    How do rate the Novation K-station in comparisson to the Micro Korg & Micron? my initial impression is that the Micron has the smoother/warmer sound.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    ive logged some hours on the mikro korg and i have to say i did NOT like it.

keys are ganky.. silly small.. painful even

programability - not very clearly laid out... an awfuly lot of twdiddling one big nob to get thru the presets, twiddling another nob to select the next thing etc etc... nightmare!!!!

sounds - i found it uniformaly dark / metallic... i recorded a tonne of stuff on it while i had it.. almost all of it ended up gettign replaced later.. the bass is way to dark.. no juice whatsoever... muddy even.. its alright for pads / strings.

vocoder is pretty useless.. i tried numerous mics other than the one it coems with and the thing is either inaudible or distorts like a bitch

there is a software editor but it doesnt work in osx

needless to say i didnt buy it.

i keep hearing good things abotu the micron... diregard bsides "its just for techno" its a fookin synth.. its whatever you program it to be... im highly skepticle of it due to its limited knobage.

• since both are the same price and everyone has a microkorg, i went with the micron. in the end the larger keys and larger array of features sold me. with that said, i am very pleased. not only do i get a more powerful synth, i also get a full drum machine as well. the interface is the only weak point, but there are many keyboard shortcuts to jump menus. also, all the parameters can be assigned to what few knobs there are to speed things up. once you get used to the interface things speed up quite a bit. my rational is that you will need to learn the quirks of any piece of gear, so just dive right in.

and this is defintely more than a techno synth.
    is it my only synth no, but it sits well with my analog six trak. it definitely can't hurt to have this around since it is very useful. best of luck!

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    a bit off topic but new moog shipping this month. a lil over a grand