Gabor Szabo's illest lp

2»

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    btw
    whats the correct pronunciation of his name?

Gabor like Ga-bore (Zsa Zsa and Eva 50's sexpots)
    Szabo like Sa-bow

At least thats the way i've been saying it for years.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    it's also IMO one of the more elusive records he's done. I saw that auction and kept an eye out for it when I was in CA and did not see one copy (although I saw multiple copies of every other record on Impulse and Skye)

the only non-swedish lp in this thread i've never owned...

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    say it like this...

Ga-Bor Za-Bo

• anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
    he's from Hungary

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts

Shame on us... We didn't even mention this one! Not as personal as others but nicely funky plus Bob James-esque rhodes on it... I love it!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    so what's up with the Repulsion soundtrack?

Shame on us... We didn't even mention this one! Not as personal as others but nicely funky plus Bob James-esque rhodes on it... I love it!

Shame on me... Bob James IS on the rhodes!

Never heard about... Is someone planning to provide a soundclip from it?

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    How is that record he did with Ravi Shankar?

• pj4533pj4533 481 Posts

I got the Berklee School - "Jazz in the classroom" LP that has him on it. Its not really my thing...couldn't find much info on the series on the internerd though. Anyone got ?

-pj

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I like most of what I have and have heard of his own material and sideman activities on Impulse, Skye and Blue Thumb. The later stuff is somewhat patchy IMO. I think Szabo is an underrated guitarist. There's something about his playing that is really different and interesting compared to a lot of his contemporaries on the instrument.

Current thread-induced listen:

Yeah, what's up with that, Grope? I've never heard that one. I feel bad saying I've never seen the movie either, knowing it's kind of a cinema classic. Speaking of 60s Polanski with a jazz score, I was watching "Cul-De-Sac" on TV the other day. Couldn't quite get into the film itself, but the soundtrack by Krysztof Komeda was great.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i heard the tracks from the repulsion soundtrack. great music. i love it! the movie must be pretty nice. my friend has seen it and recorded the music for me. pretty awesome. no funk, but nice, mellow jazz. at least that one track i remember was hot. i liked that track better than any other szabo recording. i lost the cassette tape though... some sampleable moments (shhhhhhhhhh!).

the record is very very rare. released on CAM, I believe. there has been a copy on eBay. i remember it being a "red" CAM release. side a: repulsion, side b: sth else.

• My fave? Yeah, another hot CTI grail!

Thirteen is my shit.

the piano solo / climax mixed with the loose snare work and the gabor touch at the last third of that cut is