›

That sleepy backpacker sound

JpegJpeg 20 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I heard someone mention this phrase in reference to a Madlib produced AG track "frozen" saying that this track is one track he's done that does not sound backpack.I would just like some more opions on this phenomon and ideas of how to avoid it when making beats, lol (i heard some peeps postin beats that definatley sounded backpack)I must say Atmosphere have to be top contenders in this regard surely.

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Lay off this.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    non-blazing downtempo

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    get a casio keyboard, load up one of the preset songs. done!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Wouldn't this qualify as Swizz Beatz rather than sleepy backpack beats?

• get a casio keyboard, load up one of the preset songs. done!

BURN

seriously this is just some generalization certain music critics make to dismiss an entire sub-genre of rap.

reminds me of people I know who can't listen to Miles Davis cause "theres no singing".

• girgir 329 Posts
    Lay off this.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    seriously this is just some generalization certain music critics make to dismiss an entire sub-genre of rap.

I have to disagree with you there. Having lived with a backpacker recording studio right above me, I can honestly say that there is a certain style of lazy, uninspired beatmaking that is corroding underground hip hop. That's the main reason I listen to more comercial rap these days. A lot of mainstream beats are just hotter and more innovative right now.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

oh wait, he actually wanted to sound backpack? i thought he wanted to avoid it!

• seriously this is just some generalization certain music critics make to dismiss an entire sub-genre of rap.

I have to disagree with you there. Having lived with a backpacker recording studio right above me, I can honestly say that there is a certain style of lazy, uninspired beatmaking that is corroding underground hip hop. That's the main reason I listen to more comercial rap these days. A lot of mainstream beats are just hotter and more innovative right now.

I don't think I can ever call High & mighty "sleepy" although they are very much backpacker rap.

Strong Arm Steady is not sleepy either but you could say that the backpack crowd has love for them too.

there are producers out there who don't like their music to have much energy but they don't define the genre, do they?

I don't think I can ever call High & mighty "sleepy" although they are very much backpacker rap.

Strong Arm Steady is not sleepy either but you could say that the backpack crowd has love for them too.

there are producers out there who don't like their music to have much energy but they don't define the genre, do they?

I think you're the only one talking about defining an entire genre. I'm just saying there exists underground beats that fit that description.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

I've never understood this 'backpacker' term - there's some superb music floating about.

Remind me to play you some next time you come over.

• I don't think I can ever call High & mighty "sleepy" although they are very much backpacker rap.

I've never understood this 'backpacker' term - there's some superb music floating about.

Remind me to play you some next time you come over.

gladly, and we need to amke that happen sooner than later. Theres a legendary 45 from LA I need to hear

• JpegJpeg 20 Posts
    So how much impact did white boy's producing contibute to this phenomena? cos DJ Shadow is the sleepy backpacker beat king.

Im sure alot of dudes such as Atmosphere, anitcon and them man there were inspired by shadow's sound.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    So how much impact did white boy's producing contibute to this phenomena? cos DJ Shadow is the sleepy backpacker beat king.

Im sure alot of dudes such as Atmosphere, anitcon and them man there were inspired by shadow's sound.

don't see too much of a connection between Atmosphere and the sound of (what you probably refer to) Mid 90's Shadow. Shadow influenced alot of people from all genres, and he is definitely not the sleepy backpacker king. sleepy backpackersound is that "always-the-same-lame-energy-spreading-kick-snare-hi-hat-orchestral-stab-here-getting-depressed-concept-that-a-dude-says-uh-yeah-uh-yeah-over", at least in my private mind garden. Don't know about yours, though... and one more thing: wack beats are made by people of all shapes, colors, and sizes, nevafugget!!

• JpegJpeg 20 Posts
    How can Shadow not be the sleepy backpacker godfather? cos entroducing was interesting from the texture and compositional perspective of using different sources 2gether in a new context but...shit was boring, someone described it as elevator music and on reflection i can argue with that.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    How can Shadow not be the sleepy backpacker godfather? cos entroducing was interesting from the texture and compositional perspective of using different sources 2gether in a new context but...shit was boring, someone described it as elevator music and on reflection i can argue with that.

to me, it wasn't boring, show me that elevator and I ride it all day no, I get your point, but c'mon, be serious, there is alot worse stuff out there (or has been put out) that deserves critique much more than josh and his works...and he is certainly not the king in terms of sleepiness. just try vadims debut on ninja tune....

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    yo i think this Jpeg dude is just tryin to start some shit up. noone can be that retarded. if it was a seriouos post, he should just quit producing right now.

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    What id like 2 know is what defines backpack from non backpack rap? Please school me.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    What id like 2 know is what defines backpack from non backpack rap?

This thread reaffirms the fact that it's an inflated term without any consensus on the semantics of it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yo i think this Jpeg dude is just tryin to start some shit up. noone can be that retarded. if it was a seriouos post, he should just quit producing right now.

No, Jpeg is really this stupid. You should read some of his older posts.

What id like 2 know is what defines backpack from non backpack rap? Please school me.

Well, if you're getting all offended by the term "backpack rap," you're probably listening to it.

• What id like 2 know is what defines backpack from non backpack rap? Please school me.

Well, if you're getting all offended by the term "backpack rap," you're probably listening to it.

I ironically own a Master P doll

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Nahhh im not offended, i listen to all kinds of 'hip-hop' & im jus curious what makes it non back pack? Crack refrences? How many different guns the rapper has? Offensive language??

Now im really puzzelled with beats bein called backpack since alot of hiphop samples from similar sources. So is mf doom backpack? If he is does that make ghostface's new album backpack since its got his 'back pack' beats on? Please explain this pidgeon holing!

EDIT

I can't beleive i took such a retarded post so seriously..........i'll get my coat.