Cool things to do in London (this summer)?

pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I thought about spending my holidays in London this summer. Late june - early july.i have been there a couple of times and I know about recordshops in both Soho and Camden. I know about DTs record fair.. 2nd july right?So whats happening this summer? DTs record fair is good. Any others? What about concerts? Where should i go diggin? any record shops or diggin spots recommandations? Flea markets? and clothing shops? Some good ones in Covent Garden.. other places? I have also heard that there is alot of library records to be found in London?

Comments

• Ian_DIan_D 120 Posts
    As Library records go head for the Flea Markets and stuff i find lots of Library Records in those kinds of places! you can find cheesy stuff and weird Kids cartoon records, funny exercise Records from the 70s, Sound Effects and stuff, someone else might be able to fill you in on the more heavier side of our capitol as i havn't been there for years.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Check out the VV thread on library records if that's what you're after...

http://www.vinylvulture.co.uk/library/library.php

Not sure how prices compare to Norway but the library scene has blown up over the last couple of years and most London shops are well aware of the demand and price accordingly. Boot sales and markets are your best bets for cheap finds on that score, I reckon.

• pookeyblowpookeyblow 406 Posts
    thanks for replies.. so where do I find theese flea markets? camden?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I too will be in london early-mid july & am definitely keen to get some dig on. Anyone who wants to catch up & show me some sights let me know. I'll be in London from the 4th to the 12th & then again from the 15th to the 20th of July.

• YoYoPoYoYoPo 7 Posts
    all around oxford street down the back streets, not just Soho but all around there are some dope record shops to be found. Camden also has a load of record shops.
    other than that I generally just check in charity shops, the more indie ones are best because they'll sell anything so you can find older type stuff. My knowledge on london digging ain't massive though so i'm sure someone else can step up with some good info...

what's the deal with DTs record fair? anyone got some info on that?

you can find cheesy stuff and weird Kids cartoon records, funny exercise Records from the 70s

was bored so I went around a few charity shops today and that's exactly what I found! about 4 learn spanish lps, i grabbed about 5 kids 45s from the same label not all from the same shop (Snoopy vs The Red Baron is a joint!) and some funny exercise record from the 70s!

• BlowFlyBlowFly 89 Posts
    Kilburn Record Fair - happens monthly.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    sorry for Hijacking, but Im in London May 19th - May 21st
    Any events I should check? Any Strutters wanna hook up? Any Strutters spinning somewhere?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

what's the deal with DTs record fair? anyone got some info on that?

http://www.dtrecords.co.uk

DTs fair is in Kilburn and the fair is always the 1st Sunday of the every month! Went there last year and it was

peace

• llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
    One thing that all Strutters should check out when in London is Brillo. It's held the second Monday of every month at a bar called Filthy McNasty's. It's a VinylVulture meet primamrily (but don't let that put you off, we don't all hate Soulstrutters!!) but all are welcome to come and spin tunes, have a beer and talk crap about records ) Mr Belson can vouch for me that this is an excellent night to meet up with loads of London diggers.

With regards to Library records, you will be very lucky to find any for cheap anywhere!! Everyone knows about them, charity shops are picked through constantly, record shops know their value. However, like anywhere, you may get lucky!

Anyone that wants to meet for a beer or a dig drop me a pm.

anyone know where I can find dope charity shops and flea markets?

peace

anyone know where I can find dope charity shops and flea markets?

peace

Try Portobello Road (W11) on a saturday or sunday.
    Friday is more traders so theres not many records.

Saturday is rammed with all sorts of vinyl. Although it doesn't start until you get to the bridge. The hipsters sell old rock vinyl and the junk dealers sell a lot of crap so you gotta dig hard. There is the Croatian guy who sells quality at a good price.

Sunday is quiet but there are usually a few good dealers. Mike the bald guy is the jamaican guys are alright and there is a guy with a couple of boxes of 45s for ??1 each.

Thanks for your reply!

What about shops? Reckless is expensive!

any disco-heads from London here?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    For shops try Haggle and Flashback on the Essex Road, Islington, and for quality re-issues, new stuff and disco edits try Disque on Chapel Market, also Islington. For disco 12"s go a little further up the Northern line on the tube and hit Alan's Records in North Finchley.

Haggle is quality.

More tips on W11 - this is my hood so I know it pretty well

For the sorts of records you can only dream of (mostly because they price them sky high), Intoxica on Portobello Road is well worth a visit. Rough Trade on Talbot Road (just off Portobello) is good too if you like new music. Honest Johns also on Portobello Road is a great store. Dub Vendor on Ladbroke Grove is good if you like reggae. My personal favourite though is People's Sound on All Saints Road. It only sells reggae but you really have to go there. Its like no other store in London.